NY trip with easy child

Nancy

Our plane was delayed about five hours Thursday evening due to a snow storm in Cleveland and heavy winds in New York. We sat at the airport playing word games and trying not to be nervous about the weather. The flight was awful, a great deal of turbulance and what should have been an hour and half flight turned out to be almost three after going into a holding pattern and flying in circles until the wind died down. We were exhausted and very very relieved to land. Got to the hotel about 3:30 a.m. and ordered breakfast from a deli delivered to our room. So we finally got into bed around 4:30 and slept until 10.

Friday when we finally got out of bed and tried to feel normal again, we took a subway to Greenwich Village and ate at the Peanut Butter Co, walked around NYU, walked back to Times Square, bought our tickets, went to dinner at Carmines which was right by our hotel, saw Memphis and walked back to hotel down Broadway. Saturday we took subway to Bloomindale's and then walked down Park Ave and Fifth Ave and on to Rockefeller Center where we ate lunch. Walked to Macy's and tried to do some shopping but it was so hot and crowded and we decided to walk back to Times Square to get tickets for Mama Mia. It was late by then so we ate dinner, went to the show, walked back down Broadway and stopped at Applebee's for a snack before heading to our room.

This morning we ate breakfast, packed and were going to do a little shopping before heading to the airport when I got an email that they canceled our flight back to Cleveland???? No other flights availaible until late tonight so we were able to get a flight out of Newark. Ended up having to pay $100 for cab ride to Newark and rushed around getting there in time.

Wish we had time to do more shopping but we wanted to see some shows too and since my feet were really killing me it was just as well. As it was we walked a great deal, just ran out of time. We got some awsome cupcakes from Crumbs and stuffed our faces.

We had a very nice time after the stressful start but it is good to be home. Poor easy child has a bad cold and was under the weather but held up well. It was so nice to get away and helped take my mind off what was going on back home.

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Ugh! some trips have everything go wrong and others just go so smoothly. I'm glad you are safe but I know what you mean about canceling flights. It leaves you almost speechless. Glad you and easy child had a nice time and you could be worried or thinking about something other than home.

KFld

I'm so sorry to hear about all your flight issues, but I'm glad you ended up having a good time. How did you like mamma mia and Carmine's??

busywend

Glad you had fun - packed a lot into a few days! Wonderful! I have heard about the Crumbs cupcakes...have to try them someday!

DDD

With all that activity I'm sure your mind was too busy to dwell on the negative. I can't think of a better place to forget your troubles and have fun. Great update. DDD

tawnya

Sorry you had all of the problems, but it sounds like you got some fun in there, too.

It's time to start planning the next adventure.

Nancy

KFld we loved Mama Mia, had front row seats since we bought them so late so the view was interesting, but we had seen the movie and just love abba so we had a great time. Carmines was great too, it worked out so well. We went to TKTS and got our tickets for Memphis and were looking for the theatre so we knew where we were going that night and low and behold, Carmines was right across the street from the theatre. It was already 5 pm so we just went in and had dinner and then walked to our htoel and got cleaned up for the show. It all worked out perfectly. easy child and I shared the lemon chicken over angel hair pasta, yum!

I am already planning our next adventure. Hopefully we are going to Hilton Head in June. This time husband and easy child's boyfriend will come along. We use to go as a family every year until difficult child was 13 and acting out, and we haven't been back since. It will be bittersweet not having difficult child there but hopefully we can make some new memories in a place we loved so much in past years.

Nancy

KFld

You will get used to vacationing places without him that he used to always go. My family went to Ocean City MD every summer for years and I remember the first time there without difficult child. I really missed him, but I got over it. I've gone many times since then without him and it's actually very peaceful because everytime he left the condo I was worried about where he was and what he might get into, and I don't have to worry about that with my easy child. We have a blast when we go without him!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Even with the bad start? I am soooooooooooo jealous. lol Doesn't that make you feel better? ;)

I'm so glad you guys got to have such a good time!

Hugs