O.M.G. What a week so far...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Suz,
I'm so glad he is home. It's been one long week for both of you. I'm continuing with my prayers and sending gentle hugs. by the way, my difficult child is only 12 but has yet to have a real friend, he may give Rob a run for his money in that department.

LittleDudesMom

Suz, what a tough time you've all been through. I can't even fathom that he's home already.

I'm praying that the effects of the head trauma will disappear soon and he will be back to his difficult child self - with a healthy dose of "learned that lesson". I also pray that you are able to destress and get some rest.

Hugs,
Sharon

tiredmommy

I think I took my first really deep breath this week when I read your update! Do you think Heather is willing to be guided in seeking out appropriate care for Rob?

Nancy

OMG Suz you have been through a heck of a week. From your description of the accident and injuries to Rob I can just imagine how terrified you were. Our mother's instinct comes rushing back whenever our kids are hurt. I am so relieved that he survived this accident and is on the road to recovery but what a long road that will be.
I know you are grateful that he has Heather to help him and they are devoted to each other.

Boy you're right about the fact that if he is only charged with speeding he is one lucky guy. Our difficult child's will always be difficult child's and engage in risky behaviors.

Hugs to you and hope you can now relax and start working on those detachment bobblehead skills, after the anger subsides of course. All-in-all though while this was a horrible experience and one not wished on anyone, perhaps it will result in some good outcome for difficult child. It is heartwarming to see all the people who care about him and came to his side.

Nancy

BusynMember

Suz, I'm soooooooooooooooooooo happy Rob is home. I would glue a helmet to his head with crazy glue :tongue:.
From what my bro-in-law went through expect some short term memory issues and maybe him having trouble thinking of words. Now my brother in law had intensive rehab therapy...but Rob sounds like he's doing much better than brother in law and his age is on his side. My brother in law cussed a lot too...don't know if it's part of traumatic brain syndrome or what.
I am sending you healing vibes from Wisconsin and keep us updated. This type of situation is dear to my heart and I so wish a full recovery quickly for your dear son. Even though Rob didn't use common sense even people who do can get hurt on motorcycles (I hate them, by the way). brother in law was a very rational, calm person. He was riding near his land, which is empty of other traffic, and BOOM...a deer decided to walk into his path from nowhere. He had no helmet on either and was airlifted and the family sat vigil so I just know what you were going through, I remember my hub holdilng sister in law in his arms while she cried like a baby
I'm very relieved and happy for your family. God bless you all.

muttmeister

Suz-
I'm glad he's home. I'm glad things are as good as they are. HOpefully, he will do the right thing with his recovery.

My one bit of advice is to be extra good to yourself. I remember when my difficult child 2 was burned and spent 6 weeks in the hospital, the first two covered in bandages with tubes everywhere. I was running on adrenaline for weeks and was strong and did what needed to be done with no problem. It was only after we got home and could let down a little that the whole thing hit me full on. Take some time for yourself now.

I'll continue to pray for Rob, but I'm praying for you too. You've been through quite a crisis and now you need to catch up.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Suz, I can't say how relieved I am he is ok. I bet you want to, as soon as he is well, knock him into next week for being so dang dumb.

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Suz I am so sorry for the anguish you are going through (again) -- and so relieved that Rob was spared the worst. I can only imagine a small amount of the helplessness you must feel. Your strength and courage have gotten you through so many things before, I know they will pull you through this drama as well. Sending warm hugs and prayers that Rob's recovery process is quick and complete, both physically and mentally.

Hang in there, girl!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I can't add much. I just want to send you and Rob and your entire family lots of hugs and Warrior Mom strength.

lovemysons

Dear Suz,
I can only imagine just how emotionally/mentally/physically exhausted you must be.
And I can see how you most likely have recollected on Rob's whole life...looking back on him having his first friend and now so many by his bedside in time of need. How comforting it must be that there are so many that love your son.

What you have experienced I am somewhat relating too. My oldest difficult child has just recently aquired a motorcycle. He too has not transfered title yet, no MC license, no insurance on it and no helmet. He HAS been driving it...well that is up until a week ago when it, TTL, broke down on the side of the road.

I wish we could control the choices they make at this stage.

My heartfelt prayers will continue going out to you and Rob.
I think it is already such a miracle that Rob is home. I hope he will give up some of his difficult child stubborness to accept dr's orders. It seems to be so hard for our difficult child's to recognize when others know best...

I hope you will be able to get some rest at some point. You've been through alot of trauma yourself and I'm sure it will take time to recover.

Know that our hearts and prayers good healing thoughts are with you all.
with love,
Tammy

Mattsmom277

I am so glad to hear he is out of hospital. I do hope that he sticks to follow up visits to docs and that he remains alert to any problems he finds himself having so he can tell a doctor if they arise.

I imagine you must be plum worn right out. Since he's mending an hour away, please do something to relax yourself that you enjoy but rarely do for yourself. You earned it Mama!!!

DDD

I will continue to pray for your family. Like others, I think the economic times have resulted in a premature discharge. There are Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) sites that may come in handy for his girlfriend as she copes with his injuries. Let me know if you want some info. I'm on your side. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

I am glad he has so many people in his corner. Coming from the "injured person" I think it is probably as hard for the people around them as it is for the ill person. I know that my family lived in hell for all those days when they didnt know if I was going to make it, then they didnt know how bad off I was going to be when I lived.

We all know that Rob is going to be like me because difficult child's are stubborn cusses...lol...and make a full recovery.

busywend

Glad to hear everyone is home safe and sound! Such a relief it was to get Fran's updates. It is warming my heart to 'hear' from you.

HUGS!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I just can't imagine. I am sure you want to throttle him and hug him never letting go at the same time!

Hope you are taking care of yourself. Let Raoul spend a couple of days pampering you.

So glad her is doing OK.

TerryJ2

Oh, Suz, what you've all been through!

I hope you are able to sleep tonight ... with-or with-o Raoul.

I suspect you will have to deal with-a bit of denial with-Rob when he stabilizes a bit more. Doesn't look promising. (I just read a thread on General that had a long bit on denial.)
I like the idea of gluing a helmet to his head!

I like the idea of the life ins. policy, too. See what you can do.

Blondie

Suz, I think it's all been said above. OMG! indeed!

Here's hoping & praying that his recovery will continue to go (reasonably?) smoothly, and that neither you nor he get too frustrated with the process. Which IS a Process, not an Event -- contrary to what some difficult children think things should be, ha.

You must be so very wrung out. Many hugs to you.

Love,
Blondie

Suz - Wow, what a traumatic week you have all endured. I am amazed that he has recovered enough to come home already, but that is a good sign that he is strong and will get through this. My husband rides motorcycles too and it makes me so nervous. I just hate those things.

I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts.