O Ya Think So, Do Ya?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
LOL! I just have to share a few of difficult child's latest assumptions...

Despite our recent economic woes, I overheard difficult child talking about all the things she is going to have for her "Sweet Sixteen". Ummm....come again???

And then after hearing her explain how her brother is going to be among those not invited, I finally had to ask her just what kind of "Sweet Sixteen" party she thinks she is going to get? (Her response was to mutter something about maybe not hiring all the folks she originally hoped.)

And husband has had it up to here with her attitude and the fact that she seems to be spending the summer in front of the tv....and anything he has asked her to help with has been done half-axxed.

Last night, husband made a comment about how difficult child will be moving out when she turns 18.

difficult child agreed--explaining that when she turns 18 she will be traveling the world.

Then she went on to explain that even though she will not be staying here....she is going to keep all of her stuff here.

:rofl:

O yeah, right...!!!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Oh boy. That show on MTV or wherever it is, "Sweet Sixteen," hasn't done any favors for us "poor folks" when our girls turn 16 :) (actually neither of my girls even had any kind of special party, as I recall, it was just another birthday). Travel the world, huh? Perhaps the Greyhound bus world!

DammitJanet

Do most regular folks do Sweet Sixteen parties? If so, I got gypped and am going back and asking my Dad for my money! LOL.

Mom2oddson

It's amazing how our kids relate to life. difficult child-A would always tell me that he couldn't wait to be an adult because then he wouldn't have to do anything he didn't want to do since adults only do what the want to do. I always told him "good luck with that!"

Your daughter can join difficult child-S because her plans are to travel the world in high style as soon as she turns 18.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It's gonna be one big girl party, 'cause Onyxx will be right there with them.

...Last night I was informed she won't need auto insurance when she gets her license because she won't have a car...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
...Last night I was informed she won't need auto insurance when she gets her license because she won't have a car...

LOL! (snort!) I'll do you one better...

My difficult child says she doesn't even need a LICENSE...because as long as she is a really good driver, she won't get pulled over and no one will know.

But I do love the way our kids incorporate us into their future...

difficult child will travel the world, and while she is living it up in Europe--we can watch her stuff.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
It's amazing how our kids relate to life. difficult child-A would always tell me that he couldn't wait to be an adult because then he wouldn't have to do anything he didn't want to do since adults only do what the want to do. I always told him "good luck with that!"

Your daughter can join difficult child-S because her plans are to travel the world in high style as soon as she turns 18.

O yes, too funny!

difficult child is trying to figure out a way that she won't ever have to have a job, either. I guess traveling the world is one option!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Janet, Crazy--

Yeah I never had any kind of special party when I turned 16....and neither did anybody I know.

But now, my daughter is under the impression that there will be some kind of giant, catered bash with bands and bouncers and caterers and G-d knows what else...

Keep dreaming!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well... Let her do the legwork for the party!!!!!

The reason I say that is... NONE of them will commit to ANYTHING without a deposit...

klmno

LOL! I have a boy but he informed me on Sunday that he's counting the days until he turns 18 because then he can manage his own money and do a better job of managing money than me and he'll be rich. Of course this is the same kid that got an order for about $4000 of restitution and stole my CCs to run up debt for me.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt hasn't even mentioned a sweet 16 & she & wm will turn 16 in less than a week. kt laughs at that show & cannot believe the things done for becoming 16.

I didn't get a sweet 16 either ~ I believe I was working that day.

DF, our difficult children live just a bit more in a fantasy land than TTs. Their sense of entitlement is huge & perceptions of the real world so very skewed. It really scare me for our babies.

P

PatriotsGirl

No party here for me, either. I asked difficult child if she wanted a birthday party but she didn't. Each year I offer my kids either a party or $200.00. They always take the cash.

flutterby

Fly away!
Daisy said:
My difficult child says she doesn't even need a LICENSE...because as long as she is a really good driver, she won't get pulled over and no one will know.

Yeah, that worked real well for difficult child 2...until last week. And he's been driving without a license since he was 14. Without a license, without permission, without insurance, in a stolen car....

susiestar

Roll With It
I remember my 16th birthday. No huge gifts or anything. A cake, dinner with the family and a couple of friends. JUST after they sang Happy birthday and I was taking a big breath to blow out the candles (my dad was standing there with the fire extinguisher so we didn't burn the house down with the candles, LOLOLOL!) the friend standing behind me screamed "Oh my G-D!! You have GRAY HAIR!!" And I did. It was about the funniest thing ever!!!! We ALL cracked up and it was really hard to blow out the candles when I was laughing so hard!!!

with-o the gray hair I probably would not have ever remembered it!!

As for car insurance, this MUST be a difficult child thing. My gfgbro spent YEARS telling me that you only get insurance a week or so before you have to get your tags renewed. Then you just don't make the next month payment and no one will ever know. This from a man who USUALLY had guard rail burn on the driver's side of the car as well as the passenger side! Who has owned more cars than I can even count because he is a terrible driver and spent years practicing drunken auto mechanics. And he used to wonder why I wouldn't loan him a car or let him drive my kids anywhere. Seriously, he could NOT figure it out!

As for the storage, the first time my husband met the extended family (neighbors that were grandparents by choice, and bro was finally around for a dinner) my bro made a HUGE proclamation that he was going to walk to Washington. Gfgbro ADORED making outrageous proclamations because he was pretty sure my folks would not fight with him in front of company. The ONLY response he got was my mom saying, very politely, "Oh? Where are you going to store all of your stuff?" No one even asked if he meant Washington State or Difficult Child - and he never said another thing the whole meal because he was too confused that he didn't cause a ruckus!!!! It was really funny to husband and I, though we both knew not to laugh about it them!

difficult children really do not have much grasp of reality. The only way they figure it out is through natural consequences. My bro has gone to court with insurance verifications that he has forged at least 4 times that I know of. He has told me about it after the fact each time as a way to "prove" to me that I am wasteful with my $$ because I pay for car insurance each month. He only once told me about it before because he wanted to "borrow" my up to date verification to forge his verification. I refused and sent a note to the judge. No idea what they did about it. Now my parents lump his vehicle insurance into his car payment and rent and utilities payment because THEY hold the note on his vehicle.

Just act confused on difficult child's birthday. Do what you want to do for her and if she doesn't like it let her go find someone to pay for her party by herself. I think the big sweet sixteen parties were a part of Hispanic culture and it has spread to those in other cultures with too much money and too little sense. At least that is how it seems to ME.

busywend

I think it has more to do with this generation's sense of entitlement than being a difficult child. I see it in so many kids - this 'you owe me' attitude. And it is not just their parents that owe them. I apparently 'owe' all kids the ability cross the street (not at a crosswalk, mind you) extremely slow so they can disrespect me and others that are waiting. I know that is minor - but I never would have considered slowing down my strut when cars were waiting for me.

Whatever gave them the idea that they would be able to travel the world is beyond me. Perhaps it is the challenge of understanding real life money concepts.

difficult child thinks I should let her live in my house after I am married - and I should move in with DF. She thinks I am giving her my HOUSE! Sorry dear it does not work that way. Nobody gave me a house. Worked hard and lived in some teeny tiny places - don't you remember difficult child??????