OB/GYN says "Stay off your feet"

Woofens

Haven't posted much about the pregnancy lately, because I've been nervous about it and was afraid to say anything. I've been having a little bit of spotting and alot of cramping/contractions. I will be 17 weeks along tomorrow. I lost my 2nd pregnancy in 1994 at 20 weeks, and have had 2 very early miscarriages. I have also been high risk because of preterm labor with all my kids.

Went and saw my OB yesterday (new OB to me but I love him), and he said that the cramping and spotting is to be expected with my history, and that here are no changes in my cervix, so I have to stay off my feet, and I start progesterone shots on Monday that I will get weekly for the remainder of the pregnancy. We knew when I got pregnant that bed rest was a possibility, but I really hoped I could make it further in the pregnancy before it happened. He hasn't said total bed rest yet, but it is a possibility if I don't stay off my feet.

I have an appointment at OSU in Columbus OH February 2nd for genetic testing, birth defect testing, and a 3 or 4 D ultrasound. OB said it is routine because of my age, M's age, and my history. We will find out the sex of the baby that day :) I think its a boy, but can't be sure yet. We finally decided on names, Caroline Sue (Susie) or Logan Michael Taz.

So.... wish me luck, staying sane for the next 23 weeks. And please keep the baby and I in your prayers, that we can carry this pregnancy as close to term as possible.

Hugs to all
Janis

trinityroyal

Saying prayers and sending strength Janis.

I was on partial bed rest with Little easy child, and I was so stir crazy toward the end. Take it very very easy, and be gentle with yourself. Get your family to wait on you hand and foot.

If all goes well and you take it easy now, then with luck you can avoid the dreaded total bed rest.

Sending many gentle hugs your way!

Trinity

M

ML

Janis I was your age when I was pregnant with difficult child and put on bedrest for a couple of months. Hopefully you have a laptop!

Gosh I remember those days, after 13 years of infertility the fear that I would lose him.

I know it won't be easy because you have kids at home that need you but hopefully the older ones and husband will help out.

My prayers and good thoughts go out that Logan/Caroline is a tough bugger and hangs on.

hugs,

ML

Woofens

Trinity, I did 10 weeks of partial and 8 weeks of total bed rest with easy child T. I was nuts by the end! My sister got put on total bed rest at 11 weeks with her twins, so at least I made it further than that LOL. Thanks so much :)

ML, M bought me a laptop for Christmas, just in case. I'm so glad he did!! SO works 84 hours a week, so he can't be much help, but my adopted daughter (Moonwolf) and her girlfriend are here full time now. The house they rent from us needs new waterpipes, and alot of repairs. They pipes froze and broke last week during the artic cold snap we had. Bad in a way but good also.

Moonwolf has already told me she is going to be on me all the time, making sure I don't overdo. She or Mo will be here 24/7, except Sundays when M is home, until I'm allowed back up.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. They are very appreciated :)

Hugs
Janis

katya02

Solace
Glad you have help and encouragement at home. Being on limited activity or total bed rest that long is a tough proposition. Thank goodness for laptops! Sending hugs and prayers that you'll do fine and little Logan/Caroline will do fine too!

Woofens

Thanks Jo and Katya :) I'm going to ask M to dig out my beadwork from the basement. I used to make French Beaded Flowers. I think I will try to start on that again, to have something to do. I miss having the time to do it. Now I have lots of time, if my wrist will cooperate. If I can't do that, I will try making the safety pin baskets and candleholders again. M can sell them at work, so at least I'd be doing something constructive :)

Thanks so much!

Hugs,
Janis

Janis,

Like the others, I'm also glad you have help at home. Bed rest is tough. Take extra good care of yourself and let your family take care of you too.

Keeping you and the baby in my thoughts and prayers... WFEN

'Chelle

The last month of my pregnancy with difficult child was pretty much bedrest, the last 2 weeks for sure total. I thought 4 weeks was forever. It's not easy, but at least the reward at the end was good.

Glad you have help. Will be keeing you in my thoughts and sending out all the good vibes I can for you and the little one.

Woofens

Thanks for all the support! I know that the next 20 or so weeks aren't going to be easy. I was not good about staying off my feet with easy child 12 years ago as I should have been, and that is why I ended up on total bed rest for the last 8 weeks.

I sat the 3 kids down when they got home from school today and explained to them that for the baby's health I have to stay on the loveseat or couch from now on. They are excited that Moonwolf is going to be pretty much living with us again. They are disappointed that we won't be able to do some of the things we had planned for spring, like our next trip to AL, but they seem to understand.

I think my biggest problem again is going to be the loss of control. Not being able to do for myself is a big one for me. I'm also kind of afraid that being back on bed rest is going to bring back my agoraphobia. The weekly trip for my shots should help with that. At least I hope it will. Only time will tell. I know that I will do anything that I have to do to make sure this baby has the best chance possible.

Thanks to all again

Hugs
Janis

F

flutterbee

I'm glad you have Moonwolf, too. Take it easy and sending strength and healing vibes.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hope you can rest and that your body settles down so you little "bun" can finish baking! Hang in there!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sending calm thoughts and healing prayers to you and the baby. And to the rest of your family.

I was put on bed rest with thank you for the last 5 weeks. They also put me on a medication they called breathine that made me feel jittery. It is an asthma medication that is also used to prevent contractions (I had contractions at 30 weeks and then they stopped for a couple of days and started again for the last 3 weeks. I was so cranky it is amazing my husband didn't take Jessie and Wiz and RUN! Bed rest was bad enough, the medication made it almost intolerable. And thank you technically was a preemie, though he was only 2 days shy of being "full term" for a 3rd pregnancy. He was 35 1/2 weeks, and I thought that was pretty good.

I hope that you don't need medications that make you feel strange, and that the next 20 weeks goes by in a flash! Let us know if there are things you need.

Many hugs,

Susie

Marguerite

Moonwolf rocks, I wish I'd had one like her when I had to do this. I DID have husband, but he had to be at work.

I'm glad you've got some craft work to keep you occupied while you wait it all out.

A strong suggestion - I found when I was on bedrest with strong contractions, that the contractions got A LOT stronger and more frequent, if I let my bladder get full. When I was pregnant with difficult child 1, I stayed lying down as much as I could (as instructed by my OBGYN) and would therefore postpone getting up to go to the loo. The contractions would get really strong when my bladder was getting full.

When pregnant with easy child 2/difficult child 2, I made some observations, and realised that it was worth getting up a bit more often, if I at least kept my bladder emptier, because it really cooled down the contractions. And it was even worse with difficult child 3, the contractions were really strong, 5 minutes apart, for most of the pregnancy. I started taking salbutamol tablets at 16 weeks and stayed on them (1 every 3 hours, round the clock) for the rest of the pregnancy. But if my bladder began to get full - the contractions got really painful, I had trouble walking and it made things very difficult indeed.

So I did the trade-off and got up more often, and found I did cope a lot better with quieter contractions.

The other thing - I had to avoid scary movies, or movies/TV shows with any tension, or contractions would get stirred up again. I remember when in hospital during pregnancy with difficult child 1, "Jaws" was playing on TV and jsut about every paitent with a TV was wtchnig it. The nurses said it was a very lively night, with patients going into strong contractions all over the ward, the nurses running here and there doing checks, upping medications, calling doctors - they insisted that it was because of watching a stressful tense movie.

I used to use each contraction to practice my natural chidbirth exercises. It really stood me in good stead, after the births as well.

I hope you don't go too stir-crazy.

Marg

Woofens

Thanks KTMom and Heather. Moonwolf is a Godsend :)

Susie, I was on Breathine (terbutaline) for 18 weeks every 3 hours with easy child T. It was no fun at all. I was so shaky I couldn't do anything at all. We lived with my in-laws, I know I made them crazy!

Marg, I have discovered the same thing about the full bladder already. It really does seem to make a difference. I'm trying to drink at least 32 ounces of water a day, and I'm up to the bathroom alot. The progesterone shots the OB wants me to start one next week are supposed to help prevent the preterm labor, hopefully it works.

Thanks again to all for the well wishes and prayers. I'll keep everyone posted :)

Hugs to all
Janis

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Feet up!!!
My girlfriend had to do this right after I moved. Her husband worked out of town and she had a youngster. I felt so bad. It was 22 weeks I believe. They were going to invert here at the hospital if she didn't follow orders!
Her mother in law had to come to town!!! It was horrible, she would call me crying every other day...
needless to say that little angel is very special!

You do what that doctor says and take care of yourself! Yes Moonwolf is very special indeed.
Tell her thanks from us!
Hang in there. Bon-Bons and laptop...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds like you have the same issues with pregnancy that I did.

Stay off your feet means.....Unless absolutely necessary......sit down or lay down! Any hint of cramping or spotting....lay down immediately. No lifting. Anything. None. Nada.

I had the same issues all thru Travis' pregnancy. Cramping devleloped into preterm labor starting at 5 mos. easy child who was under 2 yrs suddenly learned to climb. I never lifted her. She was taught to climb into the highchair, her bed, the carseat, ect.

Praying the cramping and spotting ends. BABY yourself.

((hugs))