Observation of kids growing into adults

Abbey

Spork Queen
I had a lovely phone conversation with my eldest easy child son yesterday. He was never a difficult child (except for the one time getting nailed by a cop for having weed) and being the typical lazy teen...didn't go to college, etc.

He's 25 now and has been in a relationship with a girl for 7 years, has a stable job that he's grown into. Went from working in a sub shop for years, but now is an IT manager. Self taught.

His girlfriend is going to college where I went, which is a good distance away. She decided to get an apartment up there. Here's the grown up part.

easy child - Mom...I can't stand the people she's hanging around with. They're all wanna be hippies. They wear the hemp necklaces, but at the same time are doing drugs, wearing $100 shoes and designer shirts and jeans. They're just fakes. All they say is...dude...dude...I tried to strike up an actual intellectual conversation with many and no one could do it. I was disgusting. I can't go back there.

Me - Well, the drugs part was kind part of the culture at that time...designer jeans and such, no. They wrote, they sang, they hung out and shared. They didn't go shopping at Abercrombie.

It was just so weird to see how quickly he 'got it' and how much he's become a man. He knows me and knows that I have always led that lifestyle minus the drug part and would understand.

I think he's struggling now with what to do. I told him...do nothing. If it is important enough for her, she'll get out of that 'fake' group of friends and be real.

It was just so nice to see this kid make these steps.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds like easy child has plunged head first into maturity. :)

My easy child and sister in law seek out friends who are older than they are because their age group still aren't at the point of "getting it" yet. sister in law has a few friends that do, but overall, they still have the highschool mentality and sister in law doesn't have the patience to be around it for long.

Nichole is always complaining about how immarture and drama oriented her friends are. She doesn't see them much because of it. She's outgrown most of them.

I had to LOL at the hippie wannabes.

Hopefully easy child's girlfriend will come around and grow tired of these friends.

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Lisa, I've always tried to instill the downgraded (if you want to call that) lifestyle in my kids. You don't need fancy clothes or jewelry...just good friends and family, hopefully a job, and if that doesn't come around your friends will cover you. Two of my 4 got it...the other two, not there yet.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, the two that got it are my bio kids. The other two are difficult child and easy child. easy child is a great kid but is totally caught up in the culture of today's teens. He spends more money of a pair of shoes and the coolest cell phone of the week than I do in a month of groceries. Even if I did have the money, I would never spend it on something like that.

It was just nice to hear his thoughts and how he sees the world.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
You have to appreciate the steps to maturity and the light bulb moments. Growing up is a good thing. : )

Star*

call 911........call 911
Isn't it odd - how when our kids "get it" we also "get it?" lol

I'm so glad you were able to have that time with him Abbers....you deserve it.

Hugs and Happiness for your day!