Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Stuff

M

ML

Manstser was telling me this week that he's had some issues with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which were kind of a surprise. We heard something about it on a TV show and he started telling me "I used to do that"; for instance when he walked he would make sure to only take even steps. He told me he doesn't do it so much any more. But when I put it together with some of his issues with food textures when he was younger (wouldn't eat spag for a long time because of the worm factor lol), I realize that the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) component of his condition truly is a factor.

Do any others deal with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) components? I believe it's fairly common with kids on the spectrum.

ML

klmno

Yes- we watch for it in difficult child. My son isn't on the AS spectrum- but is on the BiPolar (BP) spectrum LOL! He has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies but the evaluation'ing psychiatrist didn't think he met criteria for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) diagnosis just yet. difficult child will complusively clean at times, hoard paperclips, and stuff like that. His comes in phases- apparently related to his cycling. I think it might be somewhat common for it to develop into full-blown Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) at some point, at least for BiPolar (BP). I heard that it was due to the person's desire to control what is going on with them.

jal

I have seen slight tendencies in my difficult child - who they are now thinking may be on the spectrum. Food can't touch on his plate is a big one, but husband is another story. He is a counter and a checker. Constantly obsessed with light switches or the stove before we leave the house. If he doesn't step on the stairs the right way he has to re-do them. The more anxiety and pressure that is going on in our lives the more it comes out. He also is a hand washer, but not to an extreme, but voives concerns over touching public doors and grocery carts. Also, we leave at the same time for work in the am and if he is not out the door before me he cannot leave. He compulsively checks EVERYTHING! UGH! It is frustrating for him (and me!). He trialed medications a few years ago, but could not stand the side effects, so he goes without.

Both of my difficult children are Aspies and have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies. difficult child 1 is also bipolar and like klmno's son, his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies seem to be related to his cycling.

difficult child 2 has strange habits. For instance, when walking in the upstairs hallway, he has to touch everyone's bedroom door on the way to the bathroom. He has to kiss his monkey puppet twice before leaving his room, etc. difficult child 2's strange behaviors change over time. The only thing that never changes is his kissing his monkey puppet twice before leaving his room.

So far, none of my difficult children's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies have gotten in the way of them being able to function. It is something we watch though. WFEN

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can relate. I don't EVEN want to know how difficult life can become when you are COMPELLED....ugh.

I don't count anymore (much) but my ears still listen and can count like if a bell rings or a fan hits a shroud my brain counts the numbers.
I am a sock snob. I have issues with clothes and change sometimes eight or nine times until it feels right.
I have hearing sensitivity issues - sometimes to the point of earplugs. A rustling potato chip bag or someone whistling makes me unnerved.
I can't do germs. I've been wiping stuff with anti germ wipes.
I have food texture issues - have been known to throw away samiches because of smell or texture.
I'm an organizational freak.
Public bathrooms - OMG let's just not go there. mkkkk?

and yet - no one EVER told me I was Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It was just part of my personality.

-So maybe he's not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - he's just unique like me - because I have a girlfriend that has to do the handwashing and the light switches and when I was in a heightened state of stress I did a LOT more repetitive things - like check the doors and window locks three or four times....I made myself nuts. I like having an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) bookkeeper because they are spot on about finding even a penny to balance.

There are jobs where this is helpful too so dont' fret too much.....

Wiped Out

Staff member
The one we see the most Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies is with easy child. Her therapist even thinks she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies based on things she has told her.

Jena

oh yea we have the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies as well. She's been diagnosis with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) along with all the other stuff. her's comes out in different ways, routine rigid, schedules, times of things, what time everyone comes home, what time they leave, her hw, collecting garbage in her closet (which i have happily put an end to LOL) a whole lot of stuff.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I found out recently that husband counts things. A LOT more than I realized. It's like his head is always trying to analyze or order things. He can't just look at something for the sake of looking at it. And this permeates his life on many, many levels.

M

ML

Thanks so much for all the great responses! Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving xo ML

Nancy

I believe most people are a bit Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) at some point in their lives. Many of us outgrow it or learn how to compensate, but then some go on to more serious Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies. When I was young I use to count everything. It had to be an even number, so if I walked 9 steps I had to walk another to make it ten. If I touched something once I had to touch it again. I would repeat things I read or heard on tv over and over in my head. I finally decided I had to stop doing that and so everytime that started to happen I forced myself to say something else or get up and move so I would change my brains path. I couldn;t even step omn a crack in the sidewalk. Besides breaking my mother's back (l0l) I just couldn;t do it. Then I stopped looking at the cracks in the sidewalk.

My easy child has stronger Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies than I ever did. She has read the book "Brain Lock" and that has helped a little.

Nancy

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a lot of the same issues Star has, but possibly quite a bit stronger.

I simply can NOT be around someone crackling plastic. It just freaks me out.

I have to have the germX type wipes in my purse. I keep the packages of 10 or so wet wipes (or a ziploc with babywipes), the individual germX type handwipes, a container of the germX gel, eyeglasses wipes (they are just alcohol wipes so i clean with them if needed), AND I have a nifty little pump spray bottle of cleaner. It is about the size of a sharpie and I refill it with alcohol.

I am forever passing the hand gel to a kid, or a wipe. Or I need more than 1 or 2 and so I use the babywipes.

Public bathrooms? I have hte pump spray bottle that started life as hand sanitizer but smelled like alcohol so I refill it with alcohol. It is AWESOME for spraying toilet seats and then wiping them with toilet paper. But I also have to spray the handle on the stall AND the bar that is for the handicapped. And I don't EVER touch the door handle after I have washed my hands. Either someone else has to open the door or I have to use a paper towel. I HATE HATE HATE HATE mcdonald's bathrooms because they never have paper towels here. I end up either taking napkins IN, or using toilet paper to open the door. But the toilet paper is a last resort. I have waited for up to 5 minutes for someone to come in and open the door because I didn't bring in a napkin and they were out of toilet paper. (That is usually a sign I need to go back on prozac.)

I am a counter. Steps, chimes, bells, telephone rings,(it is one reason why the custom phone ringtones bug me - how do you count them?).

I count the number of whatever on my plate. Carrots, ratio of peas to carrots, number of pieces of chicken, whatever. It doesn't have to be an even or odd number, I just have to count them.

I think the counting is one reason I like cross stitch. All those little squares to count and reproduce with thread.

Wiz, Jess and thank you all have various counting things and tehy each had long stretches of time where food could NOT touch or be combined. I can remember making soup by serving broth, meat, veggies, rice, etc each in a separate serving dish so they could combine it however it suited them. It was actually easier than the fight over "my food touched".

I tihnk a lot mor eof the population deals with this than will admit it.

I do know that for many people SSRI type antidepressants are a big help. The maufacturers actually promote it for this, and at least for paxil it generally needs to be given at a higher dose amount to be effective for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues.

M

ML

Wow this is so enlightening and actually comforting. I appreicate all your sharing so much. Love ML

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hello from another perpetual counter.

Gets better as I get older, but....I spent my first 25 years counting anything and everything I came in contact with, and steps are still, and must be, taken by 2's and counted, and if I get to the top and its wrong, it will bug bug bug me if I don't go back down and do it over.

Ok, there's my weird admission.