Occupational Therapist (OT)...difficult child may have poison ivy HELP!!

Discussion in 'Healthful Living / Natural Treatments' started by Lothlorien, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Just like a difficult child...

    Kids were playing in sandbox while I was cleaning the pool. First time they have played so nice. I was happy! Anyway, when I looked down I saw all this new growth of poison ivy all over. I tell her to put her shoes on before she got out and walk out by where I was standing, which there was none. What does she do? Yep, you guessed it....got out and stepped right on it.

    My question, what is the best remedy. I am preparing myself before it starts. I need to arm myself with remedies so I am not up at 2 in the am with a screaming 5 year old.

  2. Ltlredhen

    Ltlredhen New Member

    Having had a horrendous case of poison ivy at age 15 I can understand your concern. Back then we used Calamine Lotion for everything.

    Things I have learned about poison ivy. It is the oil in the plant that causes the problems. If this oil gets on shoes, socks, clothing, etc. the poison ivy can spread. You need to get rid of this to stop the spread. The only thing I know to do this is bleach. I have heard to put just a tad in some bath water and let it wash off the oil. Also some in wash water will take it off of clothing.

    If it does get on skin and a rash results, Benadryl will help dry up the blisters from the inside out and help with the itching. I know they make something OTC for the topical application for the itching.

    There is hope. Some people are not effected at all by this. My husband can completely jump in a bed of it and cut it down and has no problems. I can't even look at it.


    (Not intended for medical advise)
  3. transformtriumph

    transformtriumph New Member

    It is best to consult your healthcare practitioner but here are some ideas (should be available at health food store):
    1)Homeopathic Rhus Tox
    2)Calendula cream

    3)Poison Ivy & Oak Relief 1 Fl Oz from Natra-Bio/Botanical Labs

    For skin rashes, heat rashes, hot, burning, irritated skin and itching from exposure to poison oak/poison ivy.

    Active: Agaricus muscarius 6X (Amanita Mushroom), Anacardium orientale 6X (Marking Nut), Croton tiglium 6X (Croton Oil), Grindelia robusta 6X (Gum Plant), Rhus toxicodendron 6X (Poison Ivy), Sulphur 12X, 30X (Sulfur).
    Inactive: Purified Water, 20% USP Alcohol.

    Suggested Use:
    Adults, take 15 drops under the tongue every 30 minutes for 2 hours, then reduce to 4 times daily or as needed. Children 2-12 years of age, take one half the adult dosage.

    If symptoms worsen or persist for more than 5 days, consult your health care professional. As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health care professional before using this product. Keep out of the reach of children.

    Statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat and cure or prevent disease. Always consult with your professional health care provider before changing any medication.
  4. Kyle's Mom

    Kyle's Mom New Member

    Just went through this with Kyle; he got his first bad case on a Boy Scout camping trip last week. Gave him dye-free Benadryl for itching and used the Alveeno (sp)oatmeal bath and alcohol on the poison ivy. It has been a week and it is almost gone.

    Wash hands often since they scratch even when you tell them not to. Change pillow cases if it is on the face. It can get on pjs and it can spread that way too; same with sheets.

    (Hope it wasn't too bad!) /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  5. Jisp

    Jisp New Member

    I just got over poison ivy or oak or sumac....not sure which. I had never ever had it before in my life. In fact I used to consider myself unaffected by poision ivy and would brag about walking through fields of it without any problems.

    The worst was that when this rash first appeared I went to my internist. I had a fever and was feeling quite sick as well. He diagnosis me as possibly having shingles. I was very upset. But two days later my internist had me seeing a dermatologist who corrected the diagnosis.

    I credit my fast recovery with the fact that the homeopathic remedy (listed above in Transform's post) for Shingles is the same as the one for the poison plant rashes. I was taking that fairly regularly and it was helping a lot.

    I also found this herbal salve with goldenseal and other things in it to be very helpful.

    Wash anything that could possibly have come in contact with the plant and plant oils...sheets, clothing, shoes etc...with a mild bleach and water solution. The dermatologist I saw (a big-wig doctor at Mass General) told me that even a molecule of the oil can cause the rash.