Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation

crazymama30

So difficult child had an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation yesterday. I thought it was mainly for younger kids, but apparently I was wrong. His therapist wanted to see if Occupational Therapist (OT) could help him by teaching him some self calming skills. I figured my insurance will cover it, I can use the outpatient services at the hospital where I work so my copay is only half what it would be, so why not try?

The Occupational Therapist (OT) did not even finish all the testing yesterday, and she already has found a couple things to work with him on. He has always had a few sensory issues, and most of them have cleared up except for how overstimulated he gets when around a lot of people who are loud. He has always done this, ever since he was an infant. Transitions have never been good. I always thought that I should have done more when he was preschool age, but I just really did not know anything. I guess it is not too late? It will be interesting to see what they are able to do. I know he has some fine motor skill issues, and the Occupational Therapist (OT) that was working with him yesterday said she was able to see some auditory stuff.

In the meanwhile difficult child is upping the ante behavior wise. difficult children therapist had wanted to maybe pause her visits while difficult child was seeing Occupational Therapist (OT), as that is a lot of appts. I am thinking we can back off some, to every other week, but not stop them. Not right now with how he is acting.

My difficult child 2 is going to both the Occupational Therapist (OT) & therapist every week...no I don't think your difficult child is too old to have it be of help to him. I have found that difficult child does better seeing the Occupational Therapist (OT) first and the the therapist because Occupational Therapist (OT) tires him out some...lol