Occupational Therapy evaluation - questions!!!

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by forkeeps251, Dec 13, 2011.

1. forkeeps251

forkeeps251 Member

OK, so I finally made an appointment for an occupational therapy evaluation, and it is next Tuesday! Now I've got questions...
    What can I expect? What does an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation do? Does it just point out potential problems? It doesn't provide any diagnosis, does it? Is it usually two meetings, one for the evaluation and one to find out what the therapist thinks? Will it just be helpful to have as yet another evaluation to hand over to the psychologist or psychiatrist whenever he finally gets in to see them?
    Unfortunantly I don't think my insurance will cover it, but I was fortunate enough to find a place that has what sounds like a reasonable rate for the evaluation.

2. buddy

buddy New Member

I had several forms to fill out, basic health stuff, and a sensory profile, some developmental assessment stuff, fine motor quesitons, etc. He had actual motor things to do and standardized protocols/tests.

let me see if I can find where posted the results.....

3. Liahona

Liahona Guest

difficult child 1 just had one. There were questionairs for me to fill out. She did a bunch of motor stuff with difficult child 1. We talked. She talked to difficult child 1. She typed up suggestions for us to do at home. Then a few days later I went back to pick up the report where she typed up a summery of what we talked about and what we knew already (difficult child 1 has mild sensory issues and auditory hallucinations.) We determined that difficult child 1 didn't need a follow up appointment,, but if he did then we would've scheduled another appointment then.

4. TeDo

TeDo Guest

Wow! We've been going weekly for over 4 months now. Our Occupational Therapist (OT) did a THOROUGH evaluation of EVERYTHING she could think of. It was amazing that the things she's found wouldn't have been found in only one evaluation session. difficult child 1 wouldn't have tolerated cooperating for as long as it has actually taken her over many sessions if she'd tried to do it all in one.

I guess it all depends on the Occupational Therapist (OT). I asked for a thorough evaluation and I got a THOROUGH evaluation.

5. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

We asked specifically for sensory and motor evaluations...

You are correct, Occupational Therapist (OT) does not provide a diagnosis.
    However, Occupational Therapist (OT) does more than just provide test results...
    Occupational Therapist (OT) also has therapies that can help various situations - both sensory, and motor related.
    And yes, the test results ARE useful to others (neuropsychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, school etc.)