Oh City CHICK....eeen

Star*

call 911........call 911
Henhouse of the week? ROFLMfeathers off.....

Yup....you too could win.

NOW I want a coop de villa :laugh:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
OMG! The hens on top look just like mine!! :D

Very cool coops -- even the ones built from "scrap" make ours look like a kluged together mess! (Jealous? Moi?) Maybe these will give husband a creative shot in the arm...

As always, thank you for sharing! :bigsmile:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Dang when I get kicked out of this house I am building one of these and squatting on someone's land!!! I'll get some chickies also!!!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've been checking into the laws in our city regarding chickens - very confusing but I'm guessing the bottom line is to get permission from my neighbors within 175 feet from my home if I decide on more than 1 chicken.

I love some of those coops ~ I can see some of the long narrow ones on the side of my garage. I like the dog house one or the one using deck storage bin.

Chicken lady - how do you keep rodents out?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
To my surprise, Chicago allows the keeping of chickens within city limits so long as they are properly housed and do not disturb the neighbors (you can't keep roosters, but apparently a few laying hens are fine)

It kind of surprised me as they banned the keeping of racing pigeons a few years ago, but chickens in general don't fly and only poop where they live.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
TL, I keep the feed in a plastic storage tub with a snap-on lid -- haven't had issues with rodents chewing through, but if I did, I'd likely just switch to a small metal trash can. And it's been a while since we've had anything like raccoons, though they would likely try to eat the birds and not the feed!

However, we do get mice/rats that come into the run and sometimes the coop (usually just mice) to get at bits of feed that have been missed by the birds. My hens will kill and attempt to eat any mouse that gets into their coop or run (of course, they need to be able to see it). I've found several dead mice in the coop before :) .

susiestar

Roll With It
Star, where do you FIND these things???

I do like seeing all the coops and chicken tractors (who would have thought??), but they are not in our future. I could see my bro keeping some. maybe he could be a backyard chicken breeder instead of a backyard puppy breeder. Have to suggest that.....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ooooh! She's PRETTY!

I have 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 black hens the breed of which I have no idea. My blacks are smaller and a bit more active, and don't lay as consistently as my reds do.

I would get your chicks maybe in mid- to late-March. Be prepared to keep them inside under a heat lamp 24/7 for the first month or two until they get their feathers all in. We used an old aquarium for the first three or four weeks. After that, an old cardboard box would probably work o.k.

Janet could probably tell you a lot more since she and Tony had birds for a very long time :) I'm still a rookie by their standards -- have only had birds for about two years.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OF course! DF said he wanted a calf. I thought.....OHhhhhhhhhh a cow. How cool. Yes....a sweet little nose.....moo moo. I was going with cool names like...moo moo, and goat goat, for a goat.

Then I found out Dr. Death wanted to EAT the cow. :sick:

I shall only have NON-edibles on my ranch. He said he can't eat laying chickens so they're safe, and no one has ever tried donkey steaks. ("cept maybe that Donner party of ate) :surprise:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, easy child refuses to eat anything that resembles certain pets of hers STILL.

TL, Marg is also another resident chicken, or as she calls them "chook" expert. She's got LOTS of tips she's shared with me. :D

Abbey

Spork Queen
Then I found out Dr. Death wanted to EAT the cow. :sick:

NEVER EVER BOND WITH A RANCH ANIMAL...cow, chicken, goat, etc. They will be your next meal. 4H is good for something.

Those are some spoiled chickens. Chickens, next to pigs were the lowest on the ladder at our place. If you got in trouble your consequence was cleaning the coop which looked NOTHING like the ones you posted. The ultimate consequence was being tossed into the pig pen with a raging mamma. Not good.

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Those Wyandottes are very attractive chickens. You might not have thought of it, but silver cape and hackle feathers (you would have to skin out the neck and shoulders of the roosters, but instructions on doing that and tanning are available) would be of great value to fly-tiers, especially for making "streamer" flies that are supposed to mimic baitfish.

I wish I could keep a few hens up here; but my place doesn't allow it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
GN....

DO WHAT??? Pull out their neck feathers? :surprise:

Okay 1.) OWwwwwww
2.) Do they grow back or would I have redneck looking chickens ?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think what she's talking about are headless chickens when all is said and done. IOW, raising them to harvest the neck feathers.

Personally, I think you could just wait until they moult and collect them that way -- and then you still get to keep your chicken. Not sure why the skin would be needed?