Oh Dear God, please tell me it's menopause!

Lothlorien

Wow. I'm getting "The procedure" in a couple of weeks, because I just don't want the same thing to happen to me.

I can't tell you how many people I have met through the years that while their bodies were just about in the throws of menapause they got preggers.

Throwing out the high chair...yep, that was not a good idea. I gave all my stuff away a few years ago. However, it was too several other moms in my moms group and if the same thing were to happen to me, they'd all be lining up to give back and then some.

Generally, it seems that those things, when positive, are usually right. When I was pregnant with my son, it said negative for weeks and weeks and doctor even gave me something to bring my period on, because his test said negative too, but I was definitely in bloom.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I threw out the old high chair that was in the basement 2 months ago!

And that's why, NVTS, I still have a high chair in my house.

If the test came up positive you most likely are pregnant. However there could be a false positive, and if I wasn't so freakin' brain dead right now I could list the possible reasons. Have you taken a second test to varify your results? That would be the first thing I'd do.

I don't trust stick tests. For me, they never are accurate. I get false negs when I'm preggers and false pos when I'm not. Docs tell me it most likely has to do with my kidneys. With Nichole, within a period of 3 days I got 3 positive results and 3 neg results. So I went in and had the blood test.

I let my Mom know that I haven't had a period since last July. She warned me to be extra, extra careful from now on. Seems this is supposed to be the time during menopause when it's extremely easy to get pregnant. I don't know how true it is, I've never heard of it before.

I guess the important question is.......Are you having any symptoms?

I hope it works out the best way possible.

((hugs))

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok...now I'm excitedly waiting for the results.

For me, I'd stab myself with a dull stick at my age. But, babies are wonderful and can bring such joy. If it is that path, I hope it is that for you. Joy.

Abbey

Marguerite

OK, my vibes tell me this is pregnancy.

Menopause will not cause a false positive preg test. Pregnancy testing is designed to measure levels of HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) in the urine. You also have levels in your bloodstream. This is a hormone released by the fertilised embryo and it builds to a maximum at about 6 months into the pregnancy, then it tapers off.

But it is a sensitive test. There can be other reasons for a false positive - if you put the urine specimen in a jar that had detergent residues, for example.

My mother had me when she was 44. I was the youngest of 8. She said she was able to enjoy me more, because not only did she know what to do but the others were all 7 years old or older, so she didn't have a herd of kids underfoot.

You should be able to get a GP to check you out - in another week (or less) an internal exam should show an enlarged uterus (it enlarges very early in pregnancy).

Let us know how you get on.

Marg

F

flutterbee

I love babies. Tell you what. I'll take it and give it back when it's about 5. That's about the age they suddenly realize that mom doesn't know everything and then take that to mean that mom knows nothing.

Do your boobs hurt? That was always my first sign. Days and days before the pregnancy test would pick it up.

change

I have someone in my family pregnant right now at 44. Total surprise but a great one. They had trouble having the 1st as it is and he's a teen...I think a easy child. Anyway...lots of luck to you either way...I wish it were me everytime I hear someone is pregnant but I can toally identify with your feelings of not wanting to deal with another difficult child!!!!!!!!! I feel the same way.

hugs, hugs, and more hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW!!

I was off the board for a day or so cause I was sick and LOOK what happened!!!!!!

WOW!!!

Congrats, Beth!! I know I had trouble with the EPT reading false when the square one (that my doctor uses instead of the blood test) said positive.

I hopeyou can see the plan here, or at least come to terms with whatever happens. I wish the best for you either way!!! And will support you NO MATTER WHAT!!!

I know my babies were each conceived while using birth control - 2 types with Wizard and Jess!!! They were just meant to be, I guess.

Hugs, honey, remember to breathe and take care of yourself!!

Susie

susiequte

It's no sooooo bad!!! I just had my FIRST baby in January and I'm 44!!! He's amazing and I'm considering doing it again. I just need to get about 18 years of sleep first!!! (And likely a psychiatric consult!) We weren't trying to get pregnant but we weren't NOT trying either. And my husband is 58!!!