Oh geez, grades in library

SRL

Just got a newly reformatted report card to relect the standardized state goals. Elementary kids now get graded in LIBRARY. I suppose it means computers but give me a break.

JJJ

My oldest gets a grade for study hall. She was bragging to husband that she got an A last quarter (when on mid-terms she had an F and 2 Ds in core subjects) until I pointed out that the A was in study hall and we didn't count that!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good grief.

What next? Grades for lunch? :slap:

We were to be supervised by a teacher during studyhall back when I was in school, and in library. You know, I think at least 50 percent of the time they were never there.

Josie

My kids get a grade in library but it isn't the full blown A,B,or C grade. It's an S or S+ or something like that. I think it is for behaviour and/or bringing back library books.

donna723

Aw, come on! Do these "Library" grades count in with their academic grades and maybe raise their grade point averages?
:reading:
When I was a kid we thought of Library the same way as we did Study Hall ... an hour of free time to goof off!
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

DDD

That's a new one. Where we live the "libraries" are really no
longer "libraries". They are "media centers". I get the impression that the old fashioned welcoming library where you could wander for hours and explore subjects or spread out your papers and do a research paper will soon go the way of the black
and white television and the Edsel. I suppose they will make it
all "interactive" using your notebook computer so there will be
no need to have employees or a building available. :crying:
What a loss for society!

by the way, I just learned that ALL students at at least one of our Florida State universities are required to have a laptop for admission. Evidently the student checks in the computer before
matriculating and the university installs the "required" software
before classes begin.

Am I the only one that thinks "Big Brother" has already arrived
and spawned siblings???? DDD

donna723

It is very sad to think that the days of wondering through a big library full of books like we did may soon be a thing of the past! Somehow looking at a keyboard and computer screen isn't quite the same as being curled up in a big comfy chair with a good book!
I remember going to the public library as a kid, the aisles and aisles full of books just waiting to be read, and how I'd take at least an hour picking out the ones I wanted ... I even remember how the place smelled! I still love the smell of old books! With my kids, we made going to the library a Saturday morning ritual, starting when they were toddlers, and they were so proud when they were old enough to get their very own library card. They both still read a lot. And my son, now 27, carries a book with him everywhere he goes and reads whenever he's not doing anything else! It would be a shame if the next generation of kids misses that! Just because something is "new" and high-tech, does NOT necessarily mean that it is better!

DDD

You described the experience exactly, Donna. My children also
loved our trips to the library. Even GFGmom knew that she had
to be "library quiet". My #1 easy child also carried a book in her purse
all the time and still does. I'm so glad we all enjoyed the "old" library system. We would have all gotten "A"'s! DDD

SRL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donna723</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aw, come on! Do these "Library" grades count in with their academic grades and maybe raise their grade point averages?
When I was a kid we thought of Library the same way as we did Study Hall ... an hour of free time to goof off!
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: </div></div>

Yeah, but that B- in music would count too if he were older. I went back and looked at the report card and all of the core areas has goals spelled out but the others the grade was for achievement.

I think that grades for study hall trumps all though.

To really frost the cake, tonight difficult child told me that on Fridays from now until state testing in MARCH they won't be having science or social studies but will be doing test prep for reading and math instead. And they get incentives for doing well on the test prep. :devil:

DDD

Those standardized tests drive me NUTS! Good Grief! The teachers are teaching test prep...not life prep! DDD

SRL

Good Grief is right. This morning I discovered that not only were they missing science and ss to do test prep for reading and math, difficult child had science worksheets as homework the days that they missed. :nonono: