Oh hockey sticks.... what now?

H

HaoZi

Just got an email from the ED teacher:

[Kiddo] has SOS tomorrow she threw things around in Mr. L's room and then on the way to my room She dug her nails into another teachers fingers and left indentations, was kicking me and trying to hit me. Once in my room and to the cool down room she kicked me numerous times and tried hitting me.

Please get back to me as soon as possible to verify you have received this and we can make plans for tomorrow. If I do not hear from you by 3:30 [Kiddo] will be here tomorrow then SOS on Friday.

My phone isn't on right now, I replied asking for more info, but (insert censored words here).

InsaneCdn

How come they NEVER tell you all the things that led up to it?
Because there is always much, much more to the story.

Ugh.
{{hugs}}

H

HaoZi

Reply I got:

she did not do her homework, was given a chance to do it did not do it and was told to stand at recess and she went off. SOS is like an out of school suspension at the [family services] in [town] she said she has been there before

Umm... what homework? grrrr. Kiddo's also been complaining about cramps, I wonder if we really are looking at PMS issues or something else. She also gets more hostile when someone touches her when she's angry. I suggested a manifestation hearing and IEP adjustment. We leave soon for psychiatrist anyway so I don't have much time to discuss this with school at all.

H

HaoZi

Cripes... I don't know if she can go to SOS with my schedule, I can't be sure Kiddo will bring home the info on their hours. Oy.

H

HaoZi

psychiatrist is useless for working with the school. For a neuropsychologist she seems to have zip experience working with kids like ours.

InsaneCdn

Double UGH.
I only suggested it because... one of our few breakthroughs with school was when the therapist offered to "sic" the psychiatrist on the school - and made that threat to the SCHOOL... and the school backpedaled faster than a circus unicyclist because the psychiatrist had a reputation for eating principals for breakfast.

H

HaoZi

I'm not lucky enough to have a psychiatrist like that. I'm lucky to have one with hours that work with our schedule. She acts out when she's coming down with something, too. Cripes I hope it's not appendicitis with those cramps.

buddy

UGGG I feel your pain. sounds like a lot of transitions happened during that exchange too.... different settings, different staff...not sure it was avoidable but it is a consideration.

ick

let us know what you find out.

TerryJ2

Yikes! So sorry!
Other than that, is this teacher usually okay? This is the one she tried to kick but missed, right?

susiestar

Roll With It
I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this. Just a warning, J started having PMS a full YEAR before she had reg periods. She even had a HUGE meltdown in a mall which was a total SHOCK to us. It was Feb and I tossed water from a cup on her to shock her out of it - she was WAY out of control. We have had a LOT of PMS issues and she HATES it because she doesn't like to snap at people. Funny about Jess is she apologizes about 90 seconds after she snaps - now. Age 9-10? We thought her head was going to start spinning when it hit.

You might look into some of the herbal things for PMS like evening primrose oil or feverfew. They helped me a TON and they have helped Jess also. Xanax helped me more, but I was the Poster Queen for PMS Witch. I doubt they would give her xanax. But it might help YOU deal with her pms.

There MUST be more to this. Have they done the FBA and positive BIP for her? If not, I would ask them to get it done asap. There is NO reason to touch her if they know it escalates the problem, and that is part of what the pBIP helps. Or I think it does.

(((((hugs)))))

T

TeDo

Wow. I'm sorry HaoZi. It might very well be PMS which will throw her AND her medications out of whack once a month. UGH

{{{HUGS}}}

susiestar

Roll With It
Does your school have a website? Our teachers are supposed to put ALL homework on the website the day it is assigned so parents can know what is going on and make sure kids' have the assignment written down correctly. They drive me batty because they make changes and NEVER post those, but they are learning. I chewed one teacher out for giving thank you a lower grade on an assignment - he did everything on the website but forgot something that the teacher didn't put on the web but told them a few days later. I asked her if SHE cannot remember to update the website, how can she hold the kids responsible? When I offered to bring the principal in to help me understand, she backed down FAST so I think she has gotten into trouble over this. I know other parents are always griping about this same thing with her.

Given that she has ADHD, why on EARTH would anyone make her stand during recess? Introduce them to Walk and Talk, where kids walk the perimeter of the playground during recess instead of losing it. Others can join them and talk with them, or not. The kid just can't go play and can't sit out. It works off energy and helps them focus the rest of the day. Our elem school had a lot of teachers who fought this until they saw how much it really helped. Here they can't take recess or make a kid "sit" out. The laws changed a few years ago and they are not allowed to, supposedly. Walk and talk doesn't "seem" as punitive, but it sure leads to better behavior in the classroom.

How are homework assignments made? Kiddo is young enough that it is perfectly reasonable to expect the teacher to post them on a website so parents can be sure they can help the child. It is NOT unreasonable. Or maybe the teacher can just send you an email each day with the homework assignments so you can help kiddo do them. If you ask for that in the IEP then I am willing to bet they will find another way to handle it.

H

HaoZi

Teacher doesn't do a website with homework. The school site doesn't have it, either. She has a BIP, and I still don't know why this one warranted SOS when throwing chairs and desks didn't. We're supposed to be re-visiting the IEP soon anyway, but I still don't have a date on that. Kiddo's been fine with me since she got home, was bouncy and chirpy at psychiatrist's. She's getting switched to tegretol (sp) from the trileptal and psychiatrist is dropping my Latuda back to 40mg (since it does no better at 80 than it did at 40) and adding Topamax to mine.

Steely

Hugs....I hated the school age years and their bs. Ok hate is a mild word compared to what I really feel. Again hugs....