Oh, the pure Torture!!

SRL

You probably don't want to hear this but I fully sympathize with the Veggie Victim.

I hated most veggies growing up. I didn't hate loads of other foods but most veggies just tasted seriously nasty. When I was a kid I liked carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, raw peas, corn, lettuce and green pepper. Now that I'm an adult you can add green beans, raw spinach, occasional cooked peas and onions to the list...but I don't go in much for green beans since they made me heave every time I encountered them during my last pregnancy. Stronger flavors like brocholi and cauliflower still taste super strong and unpleasant to me--I think there's a name for people like me. My mother said I spit out my first bite of veggies and no amount of eggplant parmesan changed the way I percieved them.

FYI, my mother used to force me to eat three bites and beyond the tiny nutritional benefit she was totally wasting her time because all it did was make me hate them more. I bet I logged a lot of hours sitting at the table looking for an advantagous moment to slip them into a place I could ditch them later.

Good luck. ;-) I'm not overall a super picky eater but I have to force myself to eat veggies.

trinityroyal

SRL, I've read about this...something to do with the number of tastebuds and their sensitivity.

Super-tasters cannot abide any strong flavours. Foods like broccoli and cauliflower have a very strong, unpleasant and bitter flavour. Other, sweeter vegetables such as carrots and corn are more bearable. Non-tasters don't have as many receptors for bitter, so these foods taste milder, and can be quite enjoyable. Many people fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

As we get older, our tastebuds are less sensitive and we can handle stronger flavours.

Children overall are more sensitive to stronger flavours. And when you throw in sensory integration issues and strange food textures, then it can get very difficult

I was such a picky eater as a child. Bitter flavours were (still are) highly unpleasant. If you want to torture me, ask me to drink cranberry juice...it's so bitter I want to cry. And there were so many food textures that I didn't like.

To this day, I don't like to eat anything that's "wet" or "beany". For example, if I cook burgers, I have to cook them until they're hard like little hockey pucks. If they're juicy (which I gather is how most people like them) I just can't abide it. And anything that has the pasty texture of beans is just unbearable. I scrape the icing off cake, eat chicken fingers with no sauce...etc.

I suspect that a lot of the problems our kids (and us for that matter) have with veggies is that they have such weird textures. They just feel wrong in the mouth. Carrots have an okay flavour, but cooked carrots are mushy. Green beans can be stringy and get caught between the teeth...etc. Crunchy things, on the other hand, I like a lot. Little easy child and I both like to eat frozen green peas...still frozen. They crunch and pop in your mouth. And they're nice and cold. And unlike warm ones, they're not mushy or "beany".

Just a thought...

TerryJ2

LOL!

Yrs ago, I went to Epcot with-husband. We ate at The Land restaurant. The waiter placed a basket of bread and a plate of butter on the table. The butter was a sculpture of Mickey Mouse.

Guess what husband did?

Lothlorien

The only veggies that I can't do are peppers (make me gag), brussel sprouts, cooked cabbage and I don't care for cooked carrots, but I'll eat them if not too mushy. I love certain beans except for super dry ones like butter beans...yuck.

I never ate broccoli until I was about 18, when I went on a trip out to Washington State. A girl made a chicken and broccoli casserole (that I still make to this day) that I absolutely loved and I was hooked on Broccoli after that. I used to not like cauliflour, but love it now, especially raw, but if it's cooked right, it's really good. I actually prefer it to broccoli now.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is funny, but my pickiest eater hates hates hates the things he is sensitive to. Since age 3 or so when he tried tomatoes, pineapple, orange or strawberry anything he just gags. I figure it is his body talking to him.

I do that with fish anything. The ovega 3 capsules with fish oil make me absolutely sick to my stomach!

Is there a possibility of food sensitivity with any of this?

Susie

F

flutterbee

I joke that difficult child can't be mine because she'd rather have green beans and broccoli than chocolate. I don't do many cooked veggies, but I do like them raw. difficult child will eat them either way. I'll make green beans just for her (easy child is more like me with veggies) and I carry them to the table at arm's length with my head turned to the side. They even smell bad to me.

trinityroyal

Terry,
I may just be having a brain cramp, but I can't figure it out...what did husband do with the Mickey Mouse Head butter?

Trinity

TerryJ2

LOL!
First, he cut off one ear. Then he loppped off the head.
I couldn't watch.
Hey, it's a guy thing ...

:nonono:

susiestar

Roll With It
Count me as one who couldn't figure it out also!!!

I love the fact that I am NOT the only adult who hates veggies. I will eat more raw veggies than cooked, and food textures are a serious picky point for me.

I love taking the green beans to the table with your head turned!! I do this with mixed veggies. If Anyone intends to feed me mixed veggies, I will go out for pizza!!

And whoever said so many veggies taste wrong, they are so RIGHT!!!

In my family it is only my dad and I who hate veggies. My mom would eat most all veggies allday. Given a good book, she will founder on those raw baby carrots. I will eat them, but not like that.

I do like chopped frozen broccoli in casseroles. But alone, nope.

My kids like to eat Monkey Brains. A head of cauliflower, washed, and microwaved. For the last 2 minutes of cooking you mix mayo and dry mustard and put it on top.

Just the THOUGHT of it makes me shudder. I have tasted it. They LOVE it.

Of course, with difficult child any food you could feed to the toy dinosaur was a good one. He had a toy Trex that he used to share his meals with. I still have it, and the pliers I pulled bits of food out of it with!! He would eat the things he fed it, just loved to share with it. Broccoli was funny to find in it!