Ohhh, he's a clever one ... computer ...

TerryJ2

difficult child is grounded off of all electronic equipment until Monday, when the school staff and parent mtng determines whether he can continue on at his private school. He has been finding lots of clever ways to entertain himself (aside from reading).
Last night, I noticed that there is a chunk missing from my door frame, where he shoved in a screwdriver to open the lock. (He vehemently denied it, and slammed his door on me.) He did the same thing with-easy child's door, but instead of doing it over the knob, as in her case, he did it between the door and frame.
I noticed this a.m. that "Guest User Account" came up on the screen instead of my name, which means he was in here last night.
I thought I'd hear him, since I left the bedroom door open. Sigh.
I changed my password and disabled the guest account.
Anything else I should do? I had to leave the mouse in here last night to charge it up. That won't happen again.

mstang67chic

Going Green
1. Install a deadbolt.

2. Do you have password protection over the ENTIRE computer? When ours comes up, you have to choose either my side or husband's side before you can do anything, even play solitare. Both are password protected. If it's idle long enough for the screen save to come up, you have to re-enter the password.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I would think setting a password even for the guest account like 'Stang says should be good. I have it set up this way on our computers here because difficult child 1 is very similar to yours in his devious ways :devil: I also restrict the time limits the guest/kids' account can be used and the web access is severely restricted. I set a password for husband's laptop as well, and I make sure the inactivity timeout is brief... 5 minutes tops. Or I log out of my session if I'm going to leave the system running while I'm out of the room.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Through the operating system, our laptop also has the option of "locking" the screen. There's a button near the START button at the bottom that looks like a lock. If I walk away from the computer, I can click that and you need to re-enter the password to get back in. It's like a short cut to a locking screen saver without waiting the five minutes.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
If it's a desktop, unplug and then lock up the keyboard when sleeping/out of the house. I found that worked well when my kids were banned from the 'puter.

DammitJanet

I would lock it at bios but be very careful that you remember the password because if you ever forget it, you are sunk. You can do the screensaver but all he has to do is turn the computer on and off and he can get back on. If you password the startup menu on vista...that may stop him. I couldnt get past it...not that smart. I dont know if my geek son could...can ask him when he gets home. Im sure its possible. Dont know if your son is that smart or not.

klmno

My son did that, then after I changed the lock to a different type he got in by taking the door off the hinges. Also, he found a way to bypass my password and make it so I couldn't access Windows at all without the password he put on it. The computer started in DOS and I couldn't get past it. He did that at 12yo. (I had to call the manufacturer and get into the mother board to fix that.)

Anyway, I have heard from people ITRW that the only thing that works is taking enough of the computer pieces out of the house and keeping them locked up- the least problematic thing that "solved" the problem with my difficult child was to keep the keyboard and mouse locked up in the trunk of the car and the keys to the car on my person- even while I slept.

As far as insurance covering Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and the educational component- it's my understanding that unless a dr/psychiatrist orders Residential Treatment Center (RTC), there's NO chance insurance will cover it. If it is medically necessary, the sd is supposed to pay for the educational component (which still doesn't cover all the educational costs due to the way they bill it). Otherwise, it's just like you sending your child to private school- you have to cover the bill.

Step- I don't want to bust your bubble, but I'd be shocked if the courts did what you are wanting under these circumstances. First, I doubt they will order Onyxx out of the home to any place for any length of time since she has not had extensive charges and had all the "supports" (said facetiously) from being on probation.

TerryJ2

Wow, smart kids here!

I like the idea to set a time limit. Nyuk nyuk.

I've got the screensaver on a password.

But I really like the DOS idea. I could just set it to DOS and he won't know what's up. Wait, if he turns the computer off and on, then it resets to Windows ... sigh.

I'll do the time limit and hide the mouse.

I did mention that he got an A in computer, right? Maybe he'll be brilliant someday, a regular Bill Gates. In the meantime, he has to pass 6th grade.

klmno

But I really like the DOS idea. I could just set it to DOS and he won't know what's up. Wait, if he turns the computer off and on, then it resets to Windows ... sigh.

Not the way my son set ours up- that was the problem. The computer came up in DOS and if you didn't have that password, you couldn't get it to go to Windows at all. The only way to over-ride that is to change something on the mother board. Anyway, you can call your manufacturer and ask how to do that- it has something to do with hitting an F button while the computer is starting up, which takes you to DOS, then somehow in DOS putting a password requirement on. This can be done even without having the password for windows access- which is why my son did it. And, he learned it from another kid at school so you might want to consider it before your son finds out how to do it and does it to you. But really, once it got to that point I realized that the battle of wills could go on forever and there was no point in me trying to solve the problem by out-smarting him. My son was explosive and it could have just kept going until he bashed the entire computer.

As far as hiding the mouse- you are aware that a whole lot can be done with only the keyboard, right?

Depending on which parental controls you are using, difficult child may be able to bypass by going in through a different browser. Mine did that.

Also, there's "safe mode" that has to be password protected separately. My resourceful difficult child called in to my ISP in the middle of the night, pretended to be me, and was able to get all kinds of info from the helpful tech support team, bypassing many of my safeguards. Lovely. I didn't even know about "safe mode."

Yes. I just saw klmno's post. Hitting F8 repeatedly gets you there. You just need to get there first and password protect it.

Fit-throwing with the ISP really doesn't do much good, by the way. Pasword protect the account all you want to, but if you call in and say you forgot the password, all it takes is some easily accessible information any difficult child can get, in order to get right back in to the informative technicians.

Has difficult child actually shown the ability to hack a password or just the ability to bypass the need for one? I'm thinking the passwords may be all you need--on every account, of course. Plus disabling the guest account.

You can also put your system on wireless if you haven't already. Then all you have to do is unplug the cable from the modem when you want to shut down all internet access in your house. That's what I did. The modem is in my bedroom, and my bedroom was deadbolted most of the time. Phones can be shut off the same way if the line runs through the modem. Otherwise, unplug from the interface box on the outside of the house. This box is easily padlocked if needed. The phone company uses a different access point to the box.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

K...is right, he doesnt need a mouse to move all over the screen. My son got so MAD at me because I HAD to use a mouse and couldnt wander all over the computer the way he could with just a keyboard...lol.

She is also correct in the fact that the only way to really lock someone out of your computer is to lock it down at BIOS. She is calling it DOS...same thing. You hit the F something key...you would have to experiment with your computer to find out what key it is. When you get there, that is when you set the password. But like I said...make sure you can remember it and make sure he cant guess it.

I did it to mine at work before I left. Hmmmm...wonder if they ever got it turned on? LOL. I think it was the F7 or F8 key.

He vehemently denied it, and slammed his door on me.

I strongly considered removing my difficult child's door for a while in order to stop this behavior. I've heard of other parents doing that with good results. The only reason I didn't do it is because my house is small and arranged so that it would have been as much or more a problem for me than for her to be without the door. We needed a way to be removed from each other and to have privacy. Of course, the price was a severely damaged door. I just had it fixed about a month ago. A few more slams, and the door would have been split too badly to be usable anyhow.

If your home is designed for it to be feasible, I would try removing the door for a while. After all, it is YOUR door.

Marguerite

A warning for those of you who are elying on screensaver with password protection - we had that when difficult child 3 was a toddler. He worked out that if he crashed the computer deliberately (force restart using keystrokes or simply shut off the power briefly) then the computer would re-start, and before the scfeensaver kicked in again, he could get into it and shut off the password option.

He was less than three years old. Maybe less than 2. Scary! We told him he would be banned for a week from the computer if he did this, and it stopped him long enough because he was young enough to believe that we knew every thought in his head.

What we did after that - any unauthorised use, we tell him we know about it and this way he knows (but doesn't always work out how) that we know what he's been doing. difficult child 3 now monitors unauthorised access himself, will come and report if someone is trying to crack into our system wirelessly.

And any kid deliberately causing damage to things - that kid has to work to fix the damage. Not just pay for it, but learn how to do the repairs. That way tey have an investment in the repair, to keep it looking good.

Marg

TerryJ2

1) I couldn't remember where to change the time lockout. System controls? Users?
2) difficult child was definitely in here last night ... very cranky this a.m. But no luck. I changed my password. :)
3) He did not find the mouse and apparently doesn't know how to use the keyboard yet.
4) Clearly, his friends are helping him through this.
5) He denies breaking into my office ... I told him we have ghosts. I will create a Ghostbuster device today and bug him with-it until he cries "Uncle!" and admits he got in. (Yes, it works. He already thinks I'm nuts, but I can be as persistent as he can.)
6) Remind me to do a backup of my taxes and artwork.

DammitJanet

If all you want to try first is the main Windows screen for each person, you can do it through the administrator account through the control panel. Set up yourself on the administrator site and then set him up on a screen for himself with parental controls and timers. And a PASSWORD...lol. Of course your screen has a password that is different than his. No one else has a screen. Doing this means there are no other ways to get on the main desktop. You can password your screensaver this way so that it shuts off after a short period of time to defaults to the windows login screen so if you walk away, he has to login again and can only gain access to his login screen.

I did do this for awhile when Mandy was here because she was accessing myspace and downloading apps for it that I didnt approve of that had viruses in them after I asked her to stop. So I blocked those sites on the login I set up for them. I didnt mind her getting on to do her school work but I didnt want downloads for junk.

wethreepeeps

Can you ditch the desktop and get a laptop with a fingerprint reader? Or remove the power cord from the back of the tower that plugs into the electricity. How about move the computer and desk into your bedroom so he can't get to it at night? or heck, take the monitor to bed with you every night, sleep with it under your bed.

TerryJ2

Taking the monitor is an option. :)

Meanwhile, we all went to a football banquet last night and he went to bed shortly thereafter. Since I've changed my password and hidden the mouse, he's been in a much better mood for the past 2 days, because he's gotten sleep.

Now I'm calling a handyman to fix the locks he denies ruining. I'll give him the bill regardless of his denial.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Terry -

Are you going to get on the Christmas card list? I put a post up on WC, but haven't seen you - (sorry to hijack your thread luv)

Oh and as far as keeping Dude Jr. away from the computer?)

Go to the pound and get a 150 lb.+ savage bulldog/Molosser mix, walking the "mile" on his way to being put to sleep, take him home, show him your keyboard and say THIS IS YOUR FOOD DISH. Place a meat ball on the keyboard and say "YOU GUARD THIS." and walk away. No more worries.

This works also if you place said dog in front of your door and say "This is your door, you guard this. This is your screwdriver, you guard this. This is your box of poptarts, your tv remote, your bubble bath, your toothbrush, you guard this." ;) And as an added bonus you can teach "Spike" to "KILL" if anyone slams a door or raises their voice. ~ Don't credit me - My Mom came up with the idea and so far we're getting mixed results. lol. Dude can't outrun a dog when he's slammed a door so it's working for me... he's been pretty obedient. _ Dude, not the dog. (Dog listens GREAT)
:tongue:

TerryJ2

OMG, ROFL!!!!

I love it.

It beats the heck out of our totally docile and totally blind collie, Starbucks.

I'm on my way to Home Depot to buy two deadbolt locks that can open with-a key ... a few people here recommended it, and when I called the handyman svc today, they told me to buy them first, so I could see if more trimming needs to be done on the door itself.