Ohhhh I Just LOVE XMAS!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
There is only 1 thing Kayla wants really really bad this year. An American Girl doll. Now if you're not familiar with the dolls........they run 90.00 just for the doll. Kayla is the perfect age to receive her first American Girl doll. And I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to swing it and trying to figure out how to keep her brothers from destroying it if I do manage to swing it.

Well TM suggested craig's list and I also thought of ebay. But those sites just confuse me. So I asked Nichole and easy child to please look on each and see if they can find anything via facebook.

easy child got right back to me. She wants to give Kayla her American Girl doll because she will never have a daughter to give it to. Sort of bitter sweet. easy child has the original Samantha doll and all of the sets that go with her, plus the books bought by myself and mother in law over many years. The doll is worth a TON more than we paid.........as it's the original, and now they don't even make Samantha anymore...at least she was not in the last catalog I received.

Although it would make this xmas extra special for Kayla because it would be such a special gift from her aunt...................I told easy child to think long and hard about it. I don't want her regretting the decision.

Also we decided this would be strictly a Nana's house gift, even though it is from easy child. And I've decided if easy child gives it to her........when Kayla plays with it Alex and Evan won't be allowed in the same room. They'll have to just get over it. Nana's house, Nana's rules.

That is the only way I can think to keep this heirloom doll safe. Even if by some slim chance katie gets her own place this doll will stay at my house. Kayla has had all of her things destroyed by her brothers.

Just warms my heart so much, even though easy child is still thinking about it. I had never even considered her wanting to give her doll to Kayla because it was such a special part of her childhood.:D

Mattsmom277

How fantastic! And what a special gift for easy child to pass along. Families can be so fantastic can't they? I bet your Kayla is going to love the doll!

tiredmommy

I'm so happy for Kayla (& easy child)! I know she'll decide to give it to her niece... and I want a moment by moment rendering of Kayla's reaction when she opens the gift.

Moment by moment!!!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What a lovely thing for easy child to do for Kayla. Much as I hate the idea Kayla won't be able to take her doll with her everywhere, I understand the reasoning; that's too bad.

Both my girls have American Dolls given by their aunt. H made them each a wooden chest that held a bed and all the clothing, etc. They were cherished and I still have them tucked away for one day, maybe a granddaughter....♥

easy child got Molly and difficult child got Felicity! Wonder why they don't make Samantha anymore!

tiredmommy

Duckie will get Felicity this year, she is being discontinued after this season. They've discontinued a doll each year for the last few years so as to make room for a new historical character.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Duckie will get Felicity this year, she is being discontinued after this season. They've discontinued a doll each year for the last few years so as to make room for a new historical character.

Aaaah, I see, makes sense I suppose but if they can make dolls to look just like their owner, why can't they continue the originals. I always loved their personal stories! We had all the books - not sure if we still do. Felicity's clothing is so pretty!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Unfortunately, Onyxx is too old for dolls at this point. (In her opinion.) But you know what? If easy child does make that decision after some hard thinking... THAT is exactly what the whole point of Christmas IS! Not gimme gimme gimme. But really well-thought-out doing things for others.

THIS is why I love Christmas so much!

DammitJanet

When Keyana gets older, we are going to get her one of the historical ones plus one we can make to look like her that way I can do the whole book thing. Like you Jo, we will do the wooden chest especially for these dolls so they are extra special. I have one porcelain doll here now that is just a "for show" doll. Keyana will sometimes hold her gently while sitting very quietly...lol.

everywoman

Jana has several of these dolls--along with sets. She also has Samantha---but her all time favorite was Molly----the one she received first. She had the pj's and outfit to match---too cute. I know Kayla will be thrilled.

trinityroyal

What a lovely idea for easy child to give her cherished doll to Kayla.

As for having the doll be for Nana's house only, I think that it will add to the special-ness of it. Kayla will know that her doll is safe and treasured, that it won't get lost, that her brothers won't wreck it, and that everyone at Nana's house will treat her doll with the reverence it deserves. I had a few precious objects like that as a child (a music box, a beaded necklace and a few other trinkets), which my Grannie kept safely hidden away for me among her things. I was able to retrieve them from their hiding spot as an adult, and I have them still.

DammitJanet

If you are also looking for a doll that she can have for more of a Play toy...if you have a Family Dollar there, they have these really cool dolls that sing...some do rap songs, some cheer. They are dressed up more like kids than baby dolls. Keyana got one last year that she loves...Cookie time. Cookie times sweet and so are you when its one for me and one for you. I cant remember the rest...lol.

klmno

This sounds so sweet! I know you said craigslist confuses you, but it might be worth getting some help and posting an ad for a used American girl doll on there. You'd be surprised at the opportunities sometimes. If you ran across a used one for a good price she could get it for everyday play and still have the "special" one for your house.

DDD

Those of us with easy child's are sooooo lucky. Yours sound like an absolute gem.

My fifty year old easy child still has her Madam Alexander doll collection. When we were on vacation she brought it up and said that she was sorry none of her neices were "into" dolls like she was. She is keeping her eyes out for a friends child who might appreciate them half as much as she did. Her Grandma bought them for her so there is an emotional connection.

Your post brought back really nice memories. DDD

DammitJanet

DDD, I had some Madam Alexander dolls when I was young plus I had some dolls that would probably be considered somewhat collectible now...Chatty Cathy, the Cindy Brady doll, a few collectible Barbies, and a few others. They were stored in my parents attic. When my parents separated, my mom got rid of them without telling me just like she did my piano. Not that I was in any shape to take a piano but I could have carried some dolls around with me. I am still upset about my piano. Either of my parents had room to keep that in their respective new homes for me.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I still have the Baby Crissy doll I got in the 4th grade. It was a present from my Mom on the only real xmas we ever had, sparked by my step dad who was fed up with watching us do without for xmas so he went shopping for us. This sparked a battle between them because my Mom couldn't be outdone by him........so she went shopping too....... And that's exactly why he'd done it. It was the only year we ever got real presents. lol The doll is pretty but is only sentimental to me for that reason, it's a memory of that xmas. Neither of my girls had an attraction for the doll. I spotted her on my closet shelf yesterday and wondered if perhaps kayla might like her...........

And easy child is pretty certain she is giving her Samantha to kayla. So in only the way our family can do such things.........it will be staged in a big way to run home the fact this is a very special doll........and I'll do my best to snap pics of the moment.

H

HaoZi

I ran across some dolls in an Avon catalog yesterday. Kind of like the line you're talking about, though cheaper and more limited selection. They also have clothes for the girls that match the dolls.