Ohhhhh the travesty! The unmittigated gall! THE PUPPY!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
mother in law had a basset hound that only stole her knee high hose, and yes, would store them in her cheeks. Never ever chewed them, just held them there until mother in law discovered them missing and made her give them up. lol

Our basset Holly had a thing for crayons. She had the most colorful poop in town. lol

So far none of the present furbabies has such unusual habits. No wait, I take that back. Betsy has a "thing" for those red plastic solo drinking cups. No other kind. Just those. She'll toss them around the room and chomp them to shreds happy as a pig in mud. Every so often Mommy gives her one to just make her whole day. lol

I'm not a fan of the ASPCA.

When we got Holly and Molly fixed........no pain medications were offered. At that time I never even knew they gave them to animals. Someone here had mentioned it before Betsy was fixed and so I asked about it. Vet looked at me like I was a bit off, but they gave them to her. Much smoother recovery than poor Holly and Molly.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
She could come live with us. easy child refuses to wear socks that match, so they'd be a PERFECT match! :rofl:

(Actually, she'd be mad at me, cuz she swears she doesn't like dogs. Well, not ALL dogs. Just most of them.)

H

HaoZi

Can't say I recall being offered medications to give at home after getting one fixed either (male or female). Would have been nice, and sadly I never thought to ask.

I do laugh at the mental image of 'Livia trying to drag a blanket out the doggie door and place it on the clothes line to make a fort filled with orphan socks.

InsaneCdn

Sorry I can't help with the creative thievery...

But when it comes to this...
but I'm winning her over. Today I drug out secret weapon #1 - chicken livers

If you want to one-up the "wow-factor" for a training treat, try baby food. The stuff with texture - like, 6month baby stuff. Chicken casserole is a good one. Needs to be cold, though, or they go through it too fast. They come, you open the lid and give them a lick. They like it... they try to find ways to steal THAT from your pocket! We had a non-food-motivated, non-toy-motivated dog who was tough to train... until we found out about this trick... she'll do almost anything for baby food. Wonder... is that because the kids treat her like a baby???

donna723

When mine have been spayed and when Katy had her other surgery, they gave me several syringes full of some kind of light brown pearly looking liquid to give them for pain. I forget the exact name for it now but it certainly does seem to work. They gave Ragan several days worth of pain medications too when she was having her dental problems and it made a huge difference.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just an update -

Olivia had her surgery this morning. It went without a hitch. She is very sore. They didn't offer to send us home with anything - they didn't have anything to send either. They did clip her nails, clean her ears, and did a nice job on her belly. Poor thing was shaking so badly her little knees were knocking then I got down on the ground let her come into the pocket between my legs and she just collapsed like "HOME?" The girls there are so numb to dogs emotions, but she did rank right up there with them and got the "She is SO cute" statements from two of them. Her shaking was troubling to me because I wasn't sure if it was anesthesia or fear. She's now fuilly vetted, microchipped, and will never have litters of puppies. She'll be an attentive, healthy and loving pet. We let her out a little bit ago and it's OBVIOUS she's not in "LOVE" with me right now. This morning in the car the only thing she said was very softly "Are we coming back?" Just once, with a crackling voice...like any foster kid. I gave her a kiss and said I'll be here to take you home when they allow me to come get you, then rest all day on your big brothers bed.
Amazingly when she came to us a month-six weeks ago - she weighed 18 lbs. I took a picture of the scale with her on it. Just in case the police and the crazy (*_)(@_& neighbor came to "collect" her after we had it out one last time. Today I'm proud to say with NO ribs showing? She weighs 42 pounds.

The people that had her down the road? Have a new batch of puppies......in 110-115 degree heat that are barking and have been barking since 6:30 AM. Animal control has been called. We doubt they'll come. I doubt the puppies will be alive when they get here. Yes, the people are home, sititng in AC - dogs outside all of them in one cage ---apparently they brought the cage back....it's not exactly in the shade. There's room for about one adult beagle and there are five three month old pits in there. If they hold true to form? They'll be dead on the road in another few weeks. Or at our house. I REALLY CAN'T FIND A NICE THING TO SAY ABOUT THOSE FOLKS. Nope, NOT ONE THING. Ok---They're very convincing liars. Hows that? Best I can do. I started to take a bucket of ice water down for them but DF said no...They have neighbors on either side of them and behind them...NONE of them have done a thing, I doubt animal control will do anything either. If they have a pen, a bucket of water no matter how dirty.....and aren't bone thin? They'll get a pass in this county. I need to get my house put back together, painted and sold and move.

H

HaoZi

Maybe you could get the local media to shame animal control into doing a better job?

DammitJanet

Man....they would be in T R O U B L E in V A!

My dog pen wouldnt pass for legal in VA and trust me, Jamie points it out all the time.

In VA, each dog has to have a form of shelter like a dog house with a sturdy bottom that is not just ground and a roof. It also has to have a food and water dish and the water must be filled at all times. This must be done even if your yard is fenced and you "only let Fluffy out to pee" without you in the mornings and evenings. If your dog is alone at all in your yard, it must have a shelter and the food/water dishes.