ok how do you get rid of migraine?

Jena

hi

i'm 8 advil past 3 hours in and still a migraine. any ideas??? it's been since 1 today. i've tried water, eating, laying down and still nothing.........

any home remedies for this one? seems like it's going to be an all nighter.

SRL

Caffeine helped mine a lot but I say that cautiously because it can be a trigger for some people.

Jena

thank u!!!

i did that i drank coffee and took more advil then laid in dark quiet room and it kinda worked. so at least i can get sleep now............i knew someone here would think of something....

:)

sleep good

N

Nomad

about.com has a good migraine section where you can post questions. If you go to their main page and look under "M," you'll find the page. I take Topamax daily as a preventative. To stop pain, I usually take Imitrex. Sometimes I take Naproxen and Imitrex. Sometimes I drink a little coffee with that. There have been times in the past that I have taken Dramamine with my medications and for some weird reason, it was helpful. The supplements Butterbar and Feverfew might be helpful. Generally speaking, I have found that I have had to do many different things to prevent them as well as get rid of them. They are stubborn buggers. Hang in there. (hugs).

Sue C

Anagela gets awful migraines. When she lived at home, I had to take her to the hospital on numerous occasions because she couldn't stand the pain. For the past several years, she has Imitrex but if she doesn't take it at the immediate onset of the migraine, it does not work.

I have a former coworker who takes Topamax and her migraines went away.

I used to get migraines but they went away after being on my anti-seizure medications. I take 4 different kinds, so I don't know which one(s) did the trick: Tegretol, Depakote, Topamax, Lamictal. Before that, I never found anything natural that helped and wound up in the hospital a few times myself.

I know there are foods you should stay away from, and you should look those up.

Sue

ck1

I'm sure you're feeling better now (I really hope so anyway) but I wanted to give my remedy too in case it could help anyone. Assuming that caffeine isn't your trigger, I chug down a regular Mt. Dew and take Excedrin Migraine. It's something with the combination of caffeine and sugar that helps me and the Excedrin...sometimes it doesn't work until the second dose but usually it will help. I've been getting migraines for over twenty years and this helps me the most. I've been on several different prescriptions, but they haven't worked better than this.

rejectedmom

I have suffered with migraines since I was 17 years old. I cannot take any of the vasodialators due to a heart condition. I took one imatrex once and it almost killed me.
Scary stuff. I have found that two asprin and one or two regular sudafed at the first signs of a migrain and lying down in a dark quiet room for at least 20 minutes do the job for me. No other decongestant will work so don't substitute in another it must be Psudeosenepherine.

Jena

thanks guys i appreciate it.

it's been on and off since friday the beginning of difficult child's evaluation. the stress of my ex attacking me verballly there i guess set it off.

if it keeps up i'm calling doctor we have hospital this week we're leaving on wed afternoon so i may need it.

its' a horror when it hits sensitity to light my teeth actually hurt too adn i can't cope with anything when it hits

jen

ShakespeareMamaX

Oddly enough, I've heard rubbing peanut oil into your scalp helps (but have, yet, to try it). I had awful migraines for years and years up until I had gotten pregnant with my daughter. I used to resort to the take anything I could to fall asleep and close myself in the darkest (without being scared), quietest room i could find and mummify myself in my blanket.

My doctor recently told me, though, that there are daily medications (depending on the frequency you get migraines) or as needed medications.

They suggest the SECOND you feel a migraine coming on (don't know if you see the auras or not) take medications. Don't wait until it's full blown, crossing your fingers you can tough it out (my mistake 9 times out of 10).

I wish you luck and hope they, eventually, go away. Nobody deserves to endure that pain. <3

TerryJ2

So sorry, Jennifer. You've gotten some good advice here.
I use Imitrex. When I've run out, I've taken Ambien, which will help me sleep for a bit until I can call the dr in the a.m., but of course the migraine is still there in the a.m. and sometimes it's worse. I know what you mean about light sensitivity. I can't go on the computer at night, or look out the window in the daytime when it's bad.

by the way, when you mentioned your ex being a jerk, studies show that migraines show up AFTER an event, rather than during. Stress headaches happen during an event. So if you've got a big project at work, and you finally finish, you may end up with-a migraine a day or two later. It's some sort of chemical letdown after the constant daily rush. So when you say you got one after you were confronted by your ex, it is no surprise.
So sorry.
Take care.