Ok, people are really getting gross...

nvts

You know...this is pretty funny that this thread took such a drastic turn from the "gist" of the original intent. This has to be one of my favorite conversations that I've had on here!

:rofl::rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Regional? Is THAT a double entendre? OMG you guys are too much! (sits innocently in the corner watching the big girls) SEE? and I'M the one that gets sent to the corner all the time.....HA....or is it HUH!? Or whatever HazOi said...goopgooglygoo.

(whip crack sound) ghee ha!

Marguerite

When we're talking about salami, are we talking about cabanossi or pastrami? I remember husband & I went to a Halloween party once, for my drama group, and someone turned up dressed as a flasher. He had gone to a lot of trouble - wore a large full-head mask (so we couldn't see his face at all) and a large overcoat. Under the overcoat he WAS dressed, but he had attached a long stick of cabanossi to his shorts. The cabanossi was attached cunningly with string running inside the coat and down his sleeve so when he opened his coat, the cabanossi would - rise up suggestively. He never said an intelligible word all night (not even when one very pretty girl attacked him and bit the cabanossi in half) and we just couldn't work out who he was... not even by elimination.

The first time I heard about salami tactics, was in an episode of "Yes, Prime Minister" (a brilliant British sitcom from the 80s). The new Prime Minister was discussing the nuclear deterrent with a political advisor who was trying to prove to him that he, the PM, would actually never push "the button". The advisor, Rosenblum, says that "if they try anything, it will be salami tactics." He then proceeds to explain.

From the book "Yes, Prime Minister" volume 1 (Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay). The new PM is meeting with an academic military advisor who is asking if he believes in the nuclear deterrent. The PM says that of course he does. The professor asks why. PM doesn't understand, so the professor presents a hypothetical scenario.
First he postulated riots in West Berlin, with buildings in flames, and the East German fire brigade crossing the border to help. He stopped pacing, stared at me [the PM] and asked me if I'd press the button in such circumstances.
OBVIOUSLY the answer was no. Rosenblum nodded. He seemed to agree. Then he asked me if I'd press the button if the East German police came with the fire brigade. Again I shook my head. How could I start a nuclear war because of such a small territorial infringement?
Rosenblum started pacing again. 'Suppose the East Germans send some troops. Then more troops - just for riot control, they say. And then the East German troops are replaced by Russian troops. You push the button?'
Russian troops replacing East German troops in West Berlin? Would I start a nuclear war? I don't see how I could. I shook my head again.
Rosenblum smiled and suggested cheerfully that the next 'slice' would be that the Russian troops don't go. They would be 'invited' to stay to support the civilian administration. Then the civilian administration closes roads and airports. West Berlin would now be cut off. Would I now push the button?
I didn't know. I told him I needed time to think.
'You have 12 hours!' he barked.
'Scenario Two. Russian army manouvres take them "accidentally" on purpose across the West German frontier... is THAT the last resort?'
'No,' I replied. It didn't seem to be.
'All right,' he continued with great enthusiasm. 'Scenario Three. Suppose the Russians have invaded and occupied West Germany, Belgium, Holland and France. Suppose their troops have reached the English Channel.Suppose they are poised for an invasion. Is THAT the last resort?'
I stonewalled. 'No.'
'Why not?' he demanded. 'WHY NOT?'
My mind was a fog... 'Because we would only fight a war to defend ourselves, and how can we defend ourselves without committing suicide?'
'So what IS the last resort?' asked Rosenblum. 'Picadilly? Watford Gap Service station? The Reform Club?'

So that, politically, is a hypothetical explanation of salami tactics. Slice by thin slice, a little at a time. Of course the book (and the TV series) is dated, but if you watch it in historical context, it is still brilliant stuff.

Marg

Last edited:

Marguerite

Our political parties are the wildest!

A famous modern Aussie play is "Don's Party" by David Williamson. He's Australia's answer to Neil Simon. "Don's Party" is set back in the 70s on the eve of an election where the Labor party was expected to win, after about 25 years of Liberal rule. Don and his friends are pro-Labor but among the guests are a couple who are pro-Liberal. How they all interact with one another before, during and after the party (while they watch Labor lose the election on the TV) is interesting social commentary. It's not about politics, it's about society.

And speaking of wild parties - last night was Mardi Gras here. They're just covering it on the morning TV show. Our Mardi Gras is just a tad different...

Marg

Marguerite

Maybe a little more clarification needed.

The Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras started as a very small protest march, held one wet night, which would have been a total non-event if it wasn't for one of our politicians, a notorious "wowser" (very conservative person). Rev Fred Nile made such a loud noise AGAINST the march, that they decided to do it again the following year, thanks to the publicity they got because of his objections. And it has grown from there. We have seen it grow and seen attitudes shift over the years as the event has become far more mainstream, but always outrageous. The event always starts with lesbians on motorcycles (I think the site would censor what they are called - pity). We do like rhyming couplets in Australia...

Interestingly, we have never personally gone to the Mardi Gras although easy child 2/difficult child 2 was asked to be in the Actors Equity part of the parade one year, and as she was under age, I would have had to go with her. But she had school next day and I would have had a hard time explaining to the school (and possibly welfare authorities) why she was there. Although I saw some reporters interviewing some little kids who were in the parade - children of same-sex couples. And no, I do not think the welfare authorities will have any problems with that, not any more. It really has become a lot more accepted, even if it's still a long way from acceptable (in some senses of the word).

husband has a work colleague who goes to Mardi Gras every year and as a result, the guy puts in for a day off on the Monday following. The hangover from Saturday night is THAT big!

If ever you're in Sydney and it's NOT Mardi Gras, you can still see the evidence of it in the area where the parade is held. Some of the gay community have been campaigning (unsuccessfully, thankfully) to have that part of Sydney a "straight-free zone".

We have some interesting places in Sydney. Homosexuality is not restricted to any place, but some areas are much more open about it.

There were only 18 arrests on Saturday night, mostly for minor stuff. Considering the size of the crowd, that is amazing. But despite the outrageous stuff in the parade, they really are a well-behaved mob.

husband will undoubtedly get some interesting gossip about the whole shenanigans on Tuesday, when his offsider crawls back in, still wearing his dark glasses and pink feather boa...

Marg

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Why is it that everyone assumes that you're willing to jump in the sack? Is it the age (47?), is it the desperation? Is it just that the assumption is that if you're seperated, you just want to mess around and that caring, romance and feelings aren't supposed to enter into it?

You know--

I was watching a movie last night, and this thread popped into my head because - like so many movies and tv shows - a man and woman met, launch into flirtatious talk, and in the next moment...we see the bedroom scene...

I can't help but wonder how many people expect life to work the same way they see on TV ? There's no "dating", "courtship", "getting to know one another" in the movies....it takes too long AND it's not as exciting as jumping right into the steamy sex scenes

PLUS - overall, we are developing a kind of "hook-up culture" where casual sex is the norm and actual "dating" is the exception...

Marg's Man

PLUS - overall, we are developing a kind of "hook-up culture" where casual sex is the norm and actual "dating" is the exception...
Movies & TV probably have a part but I don't think it is as big a part as they being given 'credit' for.

I think quick into bed was almost as common (if not just as common) a hundred, two hundred, two thousand years ago as it is today. Tow thousand years ago it was ancient Rome and they, like we are today, were much more laissez faire about it than they have been in the last couple of centuries.

I've been doing a lot of Family History research lately and I turned up more than a few skeletons in the various closets I've poked into.

Marg's Man

H

HaoZi

I don't think it's so much more common as it is more openly acknowledged now in some cultures. And hey, I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it either.

Star*

call 911........call 911
TAME NOTHING!

I'm sitting in the corner .......BY MY SELF I AM.......Me thinks that other Aussie Angel doth cover her horns very well - and the man one with a trench coat.

Marguerite

Sorry, Star, but I did warn people - Sydney's Mardi Gras is now world famous. Once our politicians realised it was bringing in millions to the economy, it suddenly became acceptable and respectable.

Just one question: Do they do the traditional bead necklace tossing?

I gather it's just coming in. easy child 2/difficult child 2 said the word is on the street to the girls, flash your bits and get beads thrown to you. However I saw no sign of it on the news. I think there's so much going on and so much distraction, that something as tame as a few bare breasts in the crowd would pass unnoticed.

Star, move over in that corner...

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Aye.......makin' room Shelia...makin' room!

See? It's the angel corner...neener neener. (Star admits she's NOT so bad to the mods) :groan:

nvts

Aye.......makin' room Shelia...makin' room!

See? It's the angel corner...neener neener. (Star admits she's NOT so bad to the mods) :groan:

How come I'm not allowed in the good corner? I started this thread with self-rightous indignation?!!!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
(scooches)...........For the little lady with the sunglasses.............:cool_dog:Secret party in the corner ya'll.