Ok, seriously....(behavior mod)

buddy

I just want to come and give you a big hug and maybe we can all start our own program??? I am fed up with all these jerks.

whatamess

Totally would love to have our own program. I know a few people who 'dream' that dream as well and have the possibility of making it happen at some point. I did check out (through their website and a phone call) the charter in Minnesota that has a population of all high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kiddos.

buddy

There are a couple actually. Q is not high functioning so not for him but I will pm you in case the one you looked at is not the same as the other one....

whatamess

I know someone who visited and it does not seem like the right place for my guy either (obviously, no place seems right currently).

BusynMember

If he actual current diagnosis is only Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), get another one. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) isn't a real diagnosis and is an umbrella for autistic spectrum disorder. They mean the same thing, but Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) won't get interventions and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) will. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified is different. It's a real diagnosis, in the DSM. If the disability is not in the DSM...forget it!

IC, not all school districts have autistic specific classrooms. My son's schools did not, but they did so much for him that now they are saying he is too high functioning for servicses...lol. I'm going to post a thread about this new frustration somewhere else as he is graduating this year and needs a plan.

The academic world is not often that kind to our disabled kids...we end up fighting a lot!

DammitJanet

In lots of places kids with autistic spectrum issues get more services as well as the learning disabled, gifted, as well as the developmentally disabled. The ones who are treated the worst are the ones who are seen as simple behavior problems who can control themselves are those with bipolar, anxiety, intermittent explosive disorder and stuff like that.

buddy

In lots of places kids with autistic spectrum issues get more services as well as the learning disabled, gifted, as well as the developmentally disabled. The ones who are treated the worst are the ones who are seen as simple behavior problems who can control themselves are those with bipolar, anxiety, intermittent explosive disorder and stuff like that.

I agree Janet. Unfortunately, the kids with high functioning autism, Aspergers, and especially Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified (even if in the schools they are just under the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) category) are often treated this way too because all of these are invisible disabilities. They come off as rude kids who are just refusing to do as they are told. Some even seem like bullies. So even in schools districts with a lot of autism services like my district which has enjoyed a great reputation for autism services, end up doing poorly with the more verbal kids who have behavioral issues. (non verbal kids, kids with repetitive hand or body motions, the more easily identified kids with autism get far more understanding even though they may be doing the same behaviors for the same reasons).

whatamess

I agree with this Buddy. So frustrating!
I agree Janet. Unfortunately, the kids with high functioning autism, Aspergers, and especially Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified (even if in the schools they are just under the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) category) are often treated this way too because all of these are invisible disabilities. They come off as rude kids who are just refusing to do as they are told. Some even seem like bullies. So even in schools districts with a lot of autism services like my district which has enjoyed a great reputation for autism services, end up doing poorly with the more verbal kids who have behavioral issues. (non verbal kids, kids with repetitive hand or body motions, the more easily identified kids with autism get far more understanding even though they may be doing the same behaviors for the same reasons).

BusynMember

Oh, boy, Janet, you are REALLY right! Yet many of those in BD actually do have disorders that need a different type of treatment...I can barely type about t his issue. I have fought so long and hard with schools. It is absolutely exhausting. But we have to keep trying...

Malika

Really hope you find a solution to this, whatamess. As Buddy says, maybe you and she should get together, create your own program(me).... :)

whatamess

My solution is to keep him home, which is not the best scenario, but safer for him. Buddy and I have such similar paths and similar kiddos, it would be awesome to start a school where people 'get it'.

buddy

that is exactly how that new country charter school started. It is not a special needs school. I just saw a news release on it and a friend has moved there and her daughter got in thru their lottery. They are a project based school and when some districts had funding issues some teachers and parents decided the whole system needed to be changed. They have the same standards but teach through the kids interests ...all individual. The teachers are called advisors. Nothing that would work for us but it is interesting how the parents and teachers pulled this off after a huge struggle and it has been many many years, I think maybe even 18 that they have been around now. (for a charter school that is a big deal). Too bad it takes so long. Our kids would be graduated before it would be pulled off probably but still a worthy cause. If I had the energy. Maybe my next career.