Ok you sucked me in!

DammitJanet

I dont know if I will manage any of this and I hate to promise anything that I cant promise to achieve but Im going to try!

I went to my GP yesterday and was shocked to find out that over the last several months I have lost almost 27 pounds.

I attribute this to me having to cut out all dairy products because of IBS. It just so isnt worth it to have the pain. So there went my beloved ice cream and cereal for night time snacks. Also puddings. I can still manage cheeses though.

I was eating jelly beans, marshmallows, and dark chocolate M&Ms as my snacks.

I dont tend to eat large meals at any sitting though. Thinking this through I came to the conclusion that if I gave up my candy and replaced it with fruit and veggies for snacks I could probably lose a ton of weight.

So sugar is now gone from my house. Well except for stuff for the guys coffee but I dont have a hankering for plain sugar.

Once I get the snacking under control I will work on making my meals more nutritious. One thing at a time.

Eggs and grits for breakfast, Cup of soup like tomato for lunch and a normal meal for dinner with some crunchy veggies for snacks. Gonna buy an air pop corn popper when I can afford one.

I lost a ton of weight doing this before. Over a 100 pounds.

I stayed off sugar for over 2 years before I blew it.

The only way I can actually eat any sugar now is if I scrounge some old jelly beans Keyana dropped on the floor and stepped on...ewww. I dont think so.

So today is my first sugar free day.

trinityroyal

Janet, that sounds like a good approach. Simple, and not a lot of work to maintain.

I used to have a wicked jelly bean habit years ago. When I was trying to break myself of it, I started snacking on grapes. They're about the same size as jelly beans and they have the highest sugar rating of all the fruits (except pineapple, I think??) so when you're looking for a sugar fix and something that feels a bit like candy, they work really well.

Best of luck,
Trinity

Janet,

I'm so PROUD of you!!! You're doing great!!! We'll be here to support you all the way...

And, I'm with you, old stepped on jelly beans are a bit over the top for me too... WFEN

I think sugar is addictive. Watch and see if those cravings for it don't go away if you can stay totally away from it for seven to ten days.

It makes sense that it would be addictive, too. Sugar intake = insulin release = a little too much circulating insuin = sugar craving.

That's just my opinion, though.

Barbara

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet =

O GIRLLLLLL !!!! I AM PROUD OF YOU! and -

If you can get to a health food store I looked in my herbs book and there is a supplement called Sylvestri you can get. Apparently when you take it it makes sugar things taste very bad.

I'm going to try it.

LittleDudesMom

My trouble is not sugar, although I've been known to eat a Snicker bar or two. My issue is starch and cheese - Bread, pasta, rolls, pizza, potatoes (in any form), and cheese of any type.

Got anything to make rolls and cheese taste bad?

Sharon

DammitJanet

LOL...I love cheese too. Especially cheese fries with bacon and sour cream.

When I lost my 100 pounds the first time around I rewarded myself every 20 pounds with a plate of my favorite cheese fries at a certain restaurant. I love Lone Stars. I have to make a trip out of town to get them so it was a special treat. I couldnt eat but a quarter of the plate by that time so it was really a waste but it was so worth it taste-wise...lol.

If I start with my weight now and lose 100...I will be down to goal weight!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I would like to know the bread and cheese removal trick too. They just taste so darn good. Gotta have my tatos. Why do these have to be bad.

Beth

Sugar sure is addictive. Just before I was pregnant with Tink, I lost 75 lbs on the Atkins Diet (which I would never do again). After being away from sugar for a couple weeks, I didn't even miss it.

While I loved that I could have cheese and bacon and steak on that diet...BOY I missed my starches...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The trick with starchy foods like breads, pasta, potatoes, and cheese too is to cut down you portions. Go by what the portions size is on the package.

Now for me pasta, rice, beans, veggies and fruit make up the bulk of my diet. If I eat too many beans or fresh fruits and veggies I can't get out of the bathroom, that left mostly the pasta and rice.

I told my doctor I was gonna be huge. lol But I wasn't. Sticking to the correct portion size works. Although if you're like me, when I first saw the correct portion sizes I was shocked. Never thought that would be enough. So at first I did some in between fruit/veggie snacks if I needed it. Wasn't too long before my stomach, and my EYES, got used to the right portion sizes.

I'm not a big bread fan, so that wasn't a huge deal for me.

Janet, you go girl! I'm proud of you. Anything that works is my motto. :smile:

Hugs

ck1

Way To Go, Janet!!! Small changes like you're talking about are the best because you can do them longterm and make them part of your lifestyle!! Good job finding those changes to make!

I love cheese too. In fact for several years I gave up cheese and chocolate during lent. LOL! I would lose at least five pounds during lent without even trying.

Regarding the airpopper, I have a whirly pop that my mother in law gave me a couple years ago. We use it all the time because my little three year LOVES popcorn. I even have a popcorn cookbook to make different variations. Here's a link: http://www.popcornpopper.com/24000.html