Okay, now IIIIII need a costume!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm going over to my gal pal's house for LNO on Wednesday and we're dressing up in costumes of either a kid's storybook character or one from an adult novel (not exactly sure HOW adult she means by that...:surprise: )

Anyway, I am soooo far behind on my popular "adult" reading -- I could use some ideas here.

Maybe Elphaba? (I look okay in green...) or Glinda from Wicked?

Bridgette Jones?

Scarlett O'Hara (not sure I have anything around the house to pull THAT off)?

I can't afford to spend a lot on this either.

What have you all been reading lately and are there any recognizable characters to imitate?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think a storybook character would be easier.

Only book character I can think of is Sookie Stockhouse......I think that's her name. easy child got me stuck on those books. lol Reminds me, I need to get the last one she has and read it.

Of course, Sookie just looks like an average person......so doubt that will help.

rlsnights

You could just wear a pair of scrubs, perhaps artfully smeared with fake red blood, and tell everyone you were Dr. Kay Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell's intrepid Chief Medical Examiner of the Commonwealth of Virginia) who has been featured in Cornwell's wildly popular mystery novels.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
How about a Stephanie Plum type costume (from Janet Evanovich)? She usually dresses in jeans, tshirt - drives a ratty car (blown up several times) doesn't carry a gun but will carry pepper spray; an uncharged cell phone & hunky guys in her life.

Yup - an easy out on your costume but fun books.

mstang67chic

Going Green
This one may be an oldie but it's a goodie. What about Pippi Longstocking? Braid your hair (maybe use florist wire to make the braids stick out), draw on some freckles and dress oddly.

'Chelle

This one is easy, and easy child is asking me to dress up as this - Bunnicula. Vampire rabbit that s*cks the juice out of veggies. Rabbit ears, tail, white outfit, vampire teeth, and I have a wooden carrot thing from the pet food store (supposed to be a bunny chew toy) that I'll paint over white with some orangish streaks, put a couple holes in in it like vampire teeth (Bunnicula had a snack LOL)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Scarlett O'Hara-
(not sure I have anything around the house to pull THAT off)?

It COULD be rather SEXY if you had Roman shades to rip down from the corbels, and not green velour curtains...:tongue:

Kids storybook character:

Cinderella is the OBVIOUS choice for you my dear.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
How about a Stephanie Plum type costume (from Janet Evanovich)? She usually dresses in jeans, tshirt - drives a ratty car (blown up several times) doesn't carry a gun but will carry pepper spray; an uncharged cell phone & hunky guys in her life.

Yup - an easy out on your costume but fun books.

Wish I could find some hot guy to dress up as Ranger..... LOL

I'm wearing an old pair of husband's camo pants, combat boots (mine), a ripped up shirt and black eyeshadow on my face. I'll have a USB cable for a belt. Post-apocalyptic IT personnel.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, see I have NO clue about most of these characters you're referencing because yes, I am ashamed to say, I have had NO life and NO time to read much in the past 10 years. It's only been this summer since husband has been home that I've been able to really read some books. I managed the Twilight series and all three Dan Brown/DaVinci series novels in the past four months. Quite an accomplishment for me.

I may just have to go with a kid's storybook character... Star, I'm fresh out of glass slippers hon! But I could go as the PRE-transformation Cindy ;)

I was also thinking of going as Coraline's "Other" Mother... how to make my eyes look like buttons, though, is the tricky part.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Okay, see I have NO clue about most of these characters you're referencing because yes, I am ashamed to say, I have had NO life and NO time to read much in the past 10 years. It's only been this summer since husband has been home that I've been able to really read some books. I managed the Twilight series and all three Dan Brown/DaVinci series novels in the past four months. Quite an accomplishment for me.

Wear jeans and a t-shirt and go as Bella!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:rofl: Yeah, Bella in her alternate universe where she DIDN'T get marry a vampire and get turned, but instead married a bipolar programmer, popped out three difficult child's and gained 60 pounds in the process along with a head full of gray hair -- ooooh THAT'S scary!!! :witch:

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Don't you feel like some heads should roll? Can you scrounge up a few rags and go as Madame Defarge???

How about Blanche Dubois of A Streetcar Named Desire "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers", or Stanley Kowalski "Stella!!!"?

Since you are from CA, how about Ma Joad from The Grapes of Wrath?

It depends on whether you want to be a victim or a powerful woman...

Does anyone still read those old stories any more?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I think they're still required reading for some highschool, and definitely college lit classes :)

Or what about Mrs. Lovett from Sweeny Todd? I could carry a bag of body parts with my rolling pin and apron on...

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Your Scarlett O'Hara reference reminded me of the old Carol Burnett skit when she dressed as Scarlett and had a curtain rod still attatched at her shouldars...... it was hilarious! I think she had a lamp shade on her head as Scarlett's hat....... could be cool if you have any curtain panels around and tie with a sash.......

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No curtains to borrow here. I ended up going as a biker mama. Borrowed husband's jeans (scary that they fit so well) and wore big, wide black leather belt, wore some fake tatoo sleeves with dragons on them (very realistic) and a 3/4 sleeve tshirt with a sparkly tank over that. A bunch of beaded bracelets on one wrist. Borrowed easy child's flame bandana that I made for her a few years ago (very cool) and wore it over my head biker-style. Tied my hair back in a ponytail, wore my black boots, and my jean jacket. Lots of black eyeliner/shadow/mascara. Dark burgundy lips. Black nail polish. A bit of black smudge here and there on my face (grease from working on my bike). Wire rimmed aviator sunglasses (from the dollar store). I think I spent $3 total on the whole get-up. Everyone said I looked authentic (tho' what a bunch of suburban housewives would know about it is beyond me) -- the tatoo sleeves really made the difference I think.

One gal dressed as Christopher Robin, another as Dracula, another as Little Miss Muffett, a Dead Head (as in the Grateful Dead -- she didn't follow the theme nor did I), Heidi, an Angels' baseball fan (who actually happens to work for the Angels), and two people didn't dress up at all!

Anyway, it's never really about what we wear to this -- we go for the company... and the wine! Had a great time :D This is a fine bunch of friends and we grow closer as the years go by. We don't play bunco anymore. Just dinner and some laughs. A lot of laughs. Tonight was a potluck stuffed baked potato bar -- our hostess provided some wine and the potatoes and we took care of the rest. A few of them turn 50 next year so we're already planning what grand thing we'll do to celebrate! Maybe a weekend trip to the wine country. Hopefully my husband will be employed by then!

It was good to get out tonight. Thanks everyone for all the creative suggestions!