Okay ~ so, did anyone see Oprah YESTERDAY?!?

scent of cedar

It was all about women and aging and sexiness and attitude.

And what an eye opener THAT was.

And it was mostly about attitude, now that I think of it.

And then, I started thinking about coping with difficult children and how successful coping has so much to do with attitude, too.

And isn't that an amazing thing.

The guests yesterday were in their sixties.

And they were cute. And seemed happy.

And smiled and laughed (and had sex) alot.

:bravo:

One of them said something about being more comfortable in her skin, now. She likened rejection to pineapples. Some people like pineapple and some people don't care for pineapple.

But it has nothing to do with the pineapple.

The pineapple is the same, whether ten people approve of it, or whether only one person chooses to have some pineapple that day.

I found that so simple concept quite amazing. :smile:

So, I am thinking about laser resurfacing and permanent eyeliner and laughing more, instead of always thinking like a grandmother.

After having been so sick all summer? And so tired and isolated?

I forgot all those things I used to know!

Mostly, that to laugh is good ~ and to be cute, whatever your age, is good, too!

And just wait until I tell husband about the other things I have been thinking about, this morning!

And here is another thing: When I was telling husband about the women on that show? He said he thought those women looked really cute, too ~ but that I would have to gain weight.

Because heavier women have fewer wrinkles and are more comfortable in their skins....

:spaghetti: (That's me, enjoying life and not caring whether I look messy or foolish.)

This would probably be where the permanent eyeliner would come in handy.

No smudges when you bury your face in the pasta.

It's all about planning ahead.

HA!

Barbara

Fran

Former desparate mom
Barbara, I'm sorry to have missed the show. This is a topic near and dear to my heart.
Who said we have to be grandmotherly? By that meaning we sit and worry and fuss about the house? We have choices to be that way if we choose or we can go another way.
When taking my last breaths, I don't want to have regrets that I didn't try it all. I didn't give it my best shot and that I didn't take some risks.
Somehow after 50 the culture/us think we are asexual beings. How did that happen? We aren't marketed to with neat innovative looks that emphasize what we are all about. Seems like we get "comfortable" clothes, sensible shoes,and elastic waisted jeans. It's no wonder we have midlife confusion.
Sex is more interesting and varied. We substitute creativity for urgency we had as when we were in our 20's and 30's. We are much more open to suggestions from each other.
Definitely being comfortable in one's own skin is good. I think we have to change gears in our 50's but we don't have to become bland. We can dress cute, be sexual,look sophisticated, be admired, be desired and be the life of the family if we so choose.

I'm trying hard to not fall into "the look" of an aging woman. I'm fighting the stereotype in order to stay true to myself. I went out and bought the cutest heels I have had in a long time. I just fell in love with them. I intend to wear them with some pleasure.

I just keep feeling time is ticking away. I don't want to go into my 70's and 80's rested and unworried and unpressured. Hopefully I will be a bit of a character who is drinking fully from the cup of life. We are a force to be reckoned with and now we can turn that into a life force that fills the room. (at least in our own minds). :princess:

scent of cedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

We substitute creativity for urgency we had as when we were in our 20's and 30's.

Hopefully I will be a bit of a character who is drinking fully from the cup of life. We are a force to be reckoned with and now we can turn that into a life force that fills the room. :princess:

</div></div>

Beautifully stated, Fran.

And isn't it true that we are more creative, and less urgent, in every undertaking at this time in our lives ~ not only sexually, but in every area?

I think that was touched on in the program yesterday, too. Something about this time in our lives revolving around issues, not of sexuality, but sensuality.

And that sensuality applies to all aspects of life, all appetites.

Like expanding our color palette to include all the colors, just for the joy of looking.

I love that you said you intend to fill the room, Fran.

And when you think about it, we have two choices, whatever age we are.

To fill the room, or to hang apologetically at the edges of things.

I love that imagery.

And it seems so simple, when you view it that way.

:smile:

Barbara

bby31288

I saw some of it...difficult child was with me and was like, ah mom, not really into the old people sex!!! But I did see the part where the lady got the house of her dreams by giving her husband the best sex of his life. LOL she was really cute!!!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm rarely home for Oprah anymore but I was yesterday. Most of the show was very interesting. Beth, I loved the gal you mentioned---married 44 years and they sneak out to the golf course (their home is next to one) and make love in the middle of the night out in the open :bravo: . She's probably married to a very HAPPY guy and she was certainly beaming! :smile:

I thought the talk about "friends with benefits" was interesting.

And I thought Pepper Schwartz was delightful (who has an "FWB" and made the pineapple analogy). She wrote a book called <u>Prime </u> about this whole subject and was somewhat promoting it on the show.

I refuse to look grandmotherly, too. My sleeves might be getting longer every year :bag: but there's still a hot tamale inside :bag: .

Suz

scent of cedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Suz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My sleeves might be getting longer every year :bag: but there's still a hot tamale inside :bag: .

Suz </div></div>

:rofl:

Suz?

:bravo:

Barbara

:smile:

lovemysons

Hi Barbara,
I think this show must have been talking about MY MOM.
She is cute, funny, beautiful, knows what shes all about, "fills the room" etc.
Oh...and shes 58 dating a 46 yr old man...lol!

She says shes "ageless".
I admire my mom...by the way, she just got through spending her vacation with 5 girlfriends in St Martinz. She lives to enjoy life...

Anyway, I thought yall were talkin bout my mom. She's pretty cool!

lovemysons
ps, heres a few pics of her mingled with young difficult children. http://www.flickr.com/photos/13271215@N05/
I hope no one minds me "outing" my mother, I just am very proud of who she is! And...she raised me all by herself!

SunnyFlorida

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scent of cedar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> :spaghetti: (That's me, enjoying life and not caring whether I look messy or foolish.)

This would probably be where the permanent eyeliner would come in handy.

No smudges when you bury your face in the pasta. </div></div>

Don't forget....Sunny's met you and first of all you remind me of sweet Katherine Hepburn. I think you'd look fantastic with permanent makeup. Although........I wouldn't be biased would I???? :lipstick:

wakeupcall

You go, GIRLS!! I just turned 57 and like to think I don't look it or dress it or feel it. We adopted difficult child at 45 years old, so he helps keep me in the thick of things. I walk fourteen miles a week, eat healthily, go for all my check-ups, etc. It's good to be able to say pretty much what I want and to think it all. I will NOT roll over and play dead! I agree that 50 is the new 40 or maybe even 35???

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad people are talking about women in their 50's and 60's and their sex lives. I had a gma who lived in an assisted living facility after my gpa died. She and her friends were WILD. I remember visiting at 16 all by myself (had my own little apartment like room , just one floor down from my gma's room). We went to dinner one night at a fancy Chinese restaurant and afterwards I had to go out into the hall while they opened the Xrated fortune cookies!! :smile:

They could be pretty wild even without the fortune cookies. This was the trip my gma decided I should marry her best friend's son (who was 32!! to my 16!!).

Years later, after I married, husband and I had a little house across from an elderly couple. She griped all the time about how her husband wouldn't "put out" anymore. Used to really crack us up. And somehow, the entire first year she called at the most interrupting moments for husband and I. We never did figure out how she got that kind of timing. I KNOW she couldn't see in, I went to her house and CHECKED to see if we had a problem with our curtains!!

Susie