Old Products

susiestar

Roll With It
Castoria is vile stuff. Cod Liver oil is even more horrible. I once just smelled it. EEEEUUUUUUWWWW! It was in the medicine cabinet at my bff's gmas house (right across from my house).

Were any of you dosed with Turpenhydrate? It was a cough medicine my dad swore by. It worked in a very unconventional way. You held those coughs in as much as you could and coughed into a pillow or the mattress so they wouldn't hear you!

Anyone have the same experience of being on a bus with a bunch of girls - some wearing a gallon of Musk, some a gallon of Love's Baby Soft. ICK. They just don't go well together!

donna723

I remember the 'Evening in Paris" perfume! When I was in the 7th and 8th grade, every girl had her own little bottle of it because you could get it in the dime store for about 49 cents. It came in a little dark blue bottle. We used to drench ourselves in it because we didn't know enough not to. It was really vile stuff!

everywoman

The large large tubes of Bonne Belle Lipsmaker---in Tootsie Roll flavor---I've seen the little ones, but the big ones were great

We used to get these things called Great Shakes---they were powder and came with a plastic cup and cap so you could shake them up. My family owned a wholesale warehouse and the salesman would leave us samples every time he came to town

And candy---I traveled all over the country to candy conventions---yes, they actually have candy conventions...for years one company sent my brother, sister, and I all the new candy for that year each month....Some of it was god awful---waxed lips---ugh...
but when the Willy Wonka line came out, it was a good year.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We can get them everywhere here Loth......Rite Aide, Krogers, walmart......... Maybe I could mail you a couple in one of those puffy photo envelopes. :D

susiestar

Roll With It
Loth, if you go to sams check out the candy aisle. last time I was there (2 months ago?) they had one of those packages of candy meant for school fundraisers. The candy bar for $1 type fundraisers. One of the assortments had Watchamacallits in it.

You could probably get them at a candy wholesaler also.

Does anyone remember that rose scented lotion that came in a white bottle with a rose on it? My Kitty Kat Gma (called that because she had cats and her mother in law didn't - and I couldn't tell them apart when my parents talked about them as a toddler) ALWAYS smelled like that.

Porcelana - to take care of spots of some kind.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Loth, Daisylover's right... They sell them everywhere in Ohio! I love them too.

I have a little bottle of "Evening in Paris"... It's empty... But it belonged to my GRANDMA! It's with the Brownie camera and shell-casing airplane, and cigarette case (frame style) in my curio cabinet.

I love stuff like this.

Sony Walkman? - CASSETTE PLAYER?!

45 RPM singles with the big hole - and trying to get the sill adapter - why did they ever do such a big hole anyway?

Lothlorien

I still have my Sony Walkman and you can still buy them. They are expensive though. I use mine when I get books on tape from the library. Some of the older books are still on tape and not CDs yet. I prefer the CDs, because I can rip them on my computer and put them on my MP3.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I prefer the CDs, because I can rip them on my computer and put them on my MP3.

::chuckle:: I was telling my best friend this morning that I am the geek gadget princess today... I have, in my possession, at this time:

8 gb mp3 player
FM transmitter for said mp3, for my car
8.1 mp digital camera with-memory card
GPS
Nintendo DS
Cell phone (touch screen, don't EVER get one!)
Chargers/adapters/headsets for all of the above

I'm pitiful.

Aside from that, I prefer the CDs as well. I have the entire Twilight saga on audiobook and have it on my mp3 player right now...

muttmeister

why did they ever do such a big hole anyway?

My first record player that I got for Christmas when I was 4 or 5 years old played ONLY the 45s with the big holes. You could put on a whole stack and when one was done the next one automatically fell down and played. I don't think they made the LPs then yet. Instead of an album, you got a box with several records in it. I still have 45 boxes of Glen Miller, Jo Stafford, Judy Garland, and Roy Rogers. Maybe some others I'm forgetting.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Wow... I asked my Dad about this a while back and he didn't know. He's 62. So... Maybe we missed out!

Lothlorien

I forgot about those....I had a record player that played 78s, LPs and 45's. I don't think I ever had any 78s though. I do remember playing the big stack of 45's, mostly Motown that my parents had. My grandmother bought me a 45 from the Knack....remember My Sharona? She got it because the flip side was "Good Girls Don't" ha!

donna723

You'll never believe this but when I was a kid we had an old record player left over from when my mom was a young girl - it had a CRANK! You had to crank it up and it would play two or three '78 records before it started to slow down. And we had exactly TWO records! One was a symphony orchestra playing "The Nutcracker". The other was Gene Autry singing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"! :D We played them over and over. I can still remember how that thing sounded when it started slowing down during "Rudolph" ... poor Gene Autry going " .... haaaad aaaaaaa veeeeeery shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny noooooooooooooooose..."

Later on, when we finally got a record player that actually ran on electricity ... those old ones just had a little spindle for the '78 records. When the '45's came out, they made these little plastic disk thingies that you had to put in the big hole so it would go on the spindle. And they had 'needles' that kept wearing out or picking up little miniature dust bunnies. We had to keep lifting the arm up to get the dust off the needle. Ah, the 'good ol' days' --- NOT!

goldenguru

8 track tapes?? About the size of a pop tart??

Dr. Scholls shoes?? OMG they KILLED my feet, but I thought they made my calves look fab.

Tame conditioner?? It was in a white bottle. Jhirmack (sp?) shampoo? Smelled like oranges. I think Victoria Principle was the Jhirmack girl.

Gunny Sack dresses? They were sort of Victorian??

nvts

Remember Exersoles and Chuckaboots? How about the pistachio ice cream in Chinese restaurant that had the cherries in it?

IceCube chocolates (.02 cents at the penny store), ChocoLite too!

Beth

bby31288

I miss Morton's glazed donuts. They were frozen and you put them in the oven, they were warm, puffy, light and amazing! My mom used to make them for me. They were the only thing she knew how to make! LOL.

trinityroyal

L`eggs pantyhose, that came in the little plastic egg.
Body on Tap shampoo, with real beer!
Pearl Drops tooth polish
Earth Shoes, with the negative sole

witzend

I LOVED Earth Shoes! Apparently they say that they're bad for you, but they sure straightened my posture up!