Old school & reference books..recycle?

DDD

I have a genuine attachment to the books that are stored in the garage. I see the encyclopedias and I remember doing term papers etc. ;) Alot of the books were the kids and some, of course, were the grandsons.

Anyway I am determined to clean out the garage and I don't know what to do with books. Can you recycle hard cover and soft cover books in the paper recycling bins???

I know the used book stores don't want them. I've called. Geez, it seems like I'm kicking out my Grandma (God rest her soul) or something. :redface: DDD

svengandhi

There are groups which collect old reference books, etc. and donate them to schools in Africa or New Orleans. Check with your HS - they often run collections.

You can take them to the library and donate them. You will get a tax deduction paper that they fill out, for the value of the books. Our library sells these donated books once a year, maybe yours does as well, or they know someplace that can use the textbooks.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Our local news just did a HUGE story on this - they found tons and tons (literally) of old text books, reference books etc and are trying to find a secondary school or Department of Juvenile Justice to send them too.

My great book confession. My Mother bought us a set of encyclopedias. They are from before man walked on the moon. Russia is called the Peoples Repubic Of Soviet Russia. They have interesting covers and I learned so much from them. My fathers signature and some poems were written in a couple of them. As the years wore on some were missplaced. I was in a second hand store a few years ago, and there was the entire set for $5.00. I left, I drove around the block, I went back in and got them. I came home with them and had NO idea why I got them. I called my Mom. She had just that day thrown them out, and went and looked threw the ones with my Dads writing in them. She sent them to me and I donated the ones like them back to the store keeping mine from my childhood with Dads writing in them. I love them. I'm not getting rid of them. They bring back good memories. They are a part of my life.

Other text books and language books et al? I'm offering to home schoolers on Craigslist or to the local Home Schoolers office. Just and idea. And check with local prisons too. Sometimes they are wanting books and don't have funds for it. Although I drove by ours the other day and they certainly had enough money for flat screened tv's for the lobby - ugh.

donna723

The internet has pretty well put the encyclopedia folks out of business, hasn't it! When we were kids, some slick-talking salesman got my dad to buy us a set - they were a 1957 edition! I don't know whatever happened to them but I'm sure they were tossed out at some point. Not that I want them around, but they would be kind of fun to look at now!

DDD

The library does not want them. The used book stores do not want them.The school system does not want them. The migrant worker school does not want them. The prison system uses new books and computers. The local jail gets their books from the library resale store...that does not want them.
At least you guys understand. My books don't have notes from my Dad but they are a big chunk of my 1950's life! I'm calling the recycle people to see what they say. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I hate parting with books, too, DDD. So does husband. He still has all his college textbooks. I only saved my reference books (dictionaries, etc.), writing style manuals (I don't think the English language will go completely out of style) and my lit books (which the kids are able to use now that they're getting older and starting to read some of these books).

I'd probably hold onto the encyclopedias, just because of the historical/sentimental value. But that's just weird ol' me.

I hope you get your garage cleaned out -- what a great feeling that will be!

KTMom91

I would hang on to them. I love books. In my little bitty 800 sq ft house, I have nearly two complete sets of Nancy Drew Mysteries (one with blue cover, one yellow), a set of Childcraft encyclopedias from the 1960's, the complete Trixie Belden mysteries, two huge plastic bins packed full of childrens' books, various textbooks, and then...there are the ones I read. An 8 ft, 2-6ft, 2-4 ft and a floor to ceiling shelf Hubby added (when he got tired of the piles of books) are stuffed full. I still have piles of books on the floor and a cute little Sony e-reader which is great fun.

I keep telling Hubby there are worse habits I could have than being a book junkie, but I'm not sure he's convinced. If you really have to get rid of them, give them to Goodwill and take the tax deduction. If I was closer, I'd come and look at them.