OMG. Again.

Abbey

Spork Queen
My father in law is out mowing my yard!! This is after a 3 hour episode of trying to install a light. (Don't go there.)

Why is he mowing my yard? I can still walk and can push something relatively good.

OH, my.

Abbey

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. It will be ok. husband is coming in soon right? You can hold out til he gets there. Then let him know that HE needs to set some ground rules. It will be ok.

They are nice and you have come from a land that is not so nice all the time.
Do we need to work on your transitions? Coping skills? You can do this.

Again breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

beth

everywoman

Maybe he was afraid you'd mow it naked!!!LOL.
Seriously, I think that getting used to having family that does things for you will be difficult especially since you are so darn independent. Sit back, sip some lemonade, enjoy the sound. My father in law used to mow my grass every week---just cause he liked having something to get him away from mother in law. When I was pregnant, nothing could lull me to sleep faster than the sound of that mower.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah, husband strolls in sometime tomorrow. He just figured out he's in Nebraska. (It's called a map, dear.)

I think father in law does this stuff for exactly that reason - he's bored. It was just kind of weird. I'm thinking...wow, that mower sounds really close. Yep, real close...in fact, my yard.

I stomp out there yelling, "What the heck are you doing?" He turns off the mower and says, "What does it look like I'm doing?" Duh.:surprise:

He's now out there trimming my trees while MIL1 and I were at happy hour. I guess that's a good trade off.

Abbey

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Good luck, Abbey.

I.would.go.absolutely.nuts.with.all.of.this."help."even.if.it's.well-meaning...

Suz

Abbey

Spork Queen
Loth, I'm going to have to put you on the whipping post next to Star. You guys can have a great ol' time.:angry-very: Suz can monitor.

In the meantime, I'll be in my mumu with MIL1 sipping tea and having crumble cake on the patio and watching father in law dig up my garden. She might bring more squash. Wahoo!!

Oh, wait...husband is coming home tomorrow. Suppose I should shed the mumu.

Naw....

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
:rofl:

I was thinking of you today Abbey. I took difficult child to get school supplies (for his SECOND try at senior year....but I digress) and passed a rack or two of housedresses on the way to the backpacks. I was this close to snapping a picture of a particularly purty one and posting it for you. :bigsmile:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey

If your father in law is anything like my Mom's 3rd husband (the man I refer to as Dad although he's not my bio dad), then he is enjoying himself. My Dad divorced my Mom when I was 6. Yet he was always mowing the yard, planting a garden, trimming the hedges, raking leaves, and planting flowers. He planted a "garden" huge enough to feed Mom's 5 kids, his 7 grown kids and their children, his neighborhood, our neighborhood, various aunts and uncles, and still had enough left over to sell to restaurants and grocery stores.

He didn't have to do any of it. But he did clear up to (literally) the moment he died. Because he loved it.

Maybe father in law is just the old fashioned sort who loves to "take care of things".

And I'm sure I could boot one of my kids out so he could move in here. :rofl: husband gets any lazier about yard work and I just might boot him out too. ugh!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Strip down and take a nap on the sofa, sweetie! They won't be back for months!

Thanks for the props, Witz. ;)

MY EYES...MY EYES!!!

Daisy, I think that is it with father in law. He can't sit still for 2 seconds. He's just a 'doer' and doesn't like women doing things. It's sweet, but at the same time kind of annoying. I'm like...I CAN change a light bulb. I have enough intelligence to do that. Really. (Ok, ok...some of you may challenge me on that, but I really can.) Actually, I'm sitting in the dark at my nightly board venture. Hmmm...

Abbey

Wiped Out

Staff member
I hate lawn mowing so on that part I would love to change places with you as we have no relatives in our city! on the other hand, people dropping by unexpectedly would drive me crazy!

Andy

Having your lawn mowed by someone else is a pro my dear (especially when you don't get a bill). Do NOT yell at the mower. :D

I think we need a contest to guess how long it will be until Abbey is truly adjusted to this new life style.

Abbey, Keep sending us lists - we will tell you which side (con or pro) to put the item on. Then there are those things that it depends on whatever to be able to tell (like relatives so close)

You really are showing us our lives in your experiences. Everything is "new" to you and your posts are showing us what we are or are not missing in our lives.

I am almost looking forward to your winter posts. Don't worry, we are here for you and will get you through.

:rofl:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Seriously is he related to MY mother in law? The first time she did my laundry I almost had a heart attack... I was the type that was uber-independent I especially didn't want husband's Mom messing with my Grannies!
"She just can't help herself" I am trying to "get a grip" and deal with it. It makes her so happy, mm-hmm.
At least you can have a drink to take the edge off! I am always ready when mother in law says "would you like a glass of wine"! SURE!

Marguerite

Abbey, the kindest thing you can do for him is to let him do it. Sounds like he needs to be needed.

If unsure, ask mother in law how to deal with it.

Do not see it as father in law's lack of faith in your abilities. He's just grabbing an opportunity to do something useful. Chances are his own lawn is already manicured, every blade of grass exactly the same length...
If you don't want to owe him anything, then do something nice for him in return. Make him something. A gardening apron springs to mind, with pockets for all the utensils.

husband is anything but a chauvinist swine, but he WILL NOT let me mow the lawn. I'm very handy with tools and practicalities, but I do not know my way around a lawnmower because husband has deliberately kept me ignorant. He has a horror of seeing women push lawnmowers because he sees it as a signal to the entire neighbourhood that the men in that woman's family are lazy loafers.

If anything happens to husband, I'll have to buy a sheep.

Marg