OMG....dog toots...

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'd look at the corn in the dog food very closely. I've had both dogs and cats that broke out in horrible hotspots from corn in pet food.

Problem is that by the time you get the open sores and the odor,you've got a bacterial infection going and that takes antibiotics.

I wonder if that's what Cloe has. Her lower back area down to the base of her tail is horrible. She scratches and chews herself raw and she definately has on odor about her. Her coat, while thick everywhere but the hotspots, is almost oily. Then again, she could be allergic to fleas because she gets them every year no matter what we do. Strangely though, this gets better during the winter so I don't know what it is. She's at the top of my prioritiy list for when I get a job again. Till then we bath her once or twice a month with oatmeal shampoo and/or flea shampoo. Anything that can help her with the itching.

donna723

That's where Ragan has her problems too. It's in all the spots she can reach to scratch! And sometimes her poor little legs will look all moth-eaten because she scratches and bites them so much.

And where else but on the good ol' CD board could you get 40+ posts on a thread about DOG FARTS!!! :D

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sounds like this gal might have seborrhea which is a condition where the oil glands in the skin malfunction. Over the hind end is a pretty common location. It can get really smelly and itchy if not treated and some dogs will get secondary fungal or bacterial infections.

Since you mention that her coat is otherwise very oily, I'd check into a good shampoo for dogs that contains coal-tar and benzyl peroxide. You'd want to let that stay on for fifteen or so, rinse until the water absolutely runs clearr, and then use an unscented oatmeal conditioner. Again, rinse thoroughly.

Just a safety reminder, the BPO and Coal Tar (Salycimide) shampoos can not be used on cats.

mstang67chic

Going Green

Just a safety reminder, the BPO and Coal Tar (Salycimide) shampoos can not be used on cats.

HA! I've only had two occasions in all my years to give a cat a bath. The first time I was a kid and my mom did it. One of our cats had been injured and had his mouth wired shut. Since he was unable to clean himself, he got pretty rank and mom couldn't take it anymore.

The second time was for a tiny kitten we were (rather, I was) bottle feeding. It was too young to clean itself and my little wet paper towel baths weren't cutting it so husband washed her up. It was pretty sweet actually. He bathed her, wrapped her in a regular bath towel and had her on his chest to keep warm while he kicked back and watched tv. She was an itty bitty thing then and once she was settled on husband and warmed up, you could hear her purring under this big wad of towel...all the way across the room! LOL

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I bathed a lot of Maine Coons over the years. They had to learn to accept it as tiny kittens because the show grooming process requires multiple baths with multiple products, spot treating greasy areas like the base of the tail, and then after all that and cream rinse, you had to comb and fluff out the cat using a high powered special hair dryer.

Started young, they did very well. I had a couple that would very obedient sit or stand in the tub as needed...all the while screeching and howling as if they were being boiled in oil.

It was a big job and had to be done late the night before the show so that the hair didn't lose it's texture

mstang67chic

Going Green
Started young, they did very well. I had a couple that would very obedient sit or stand in the tub as needed...all the while screeching and howling as if they were being boiled in oil.

:rofl: :rofl:

I can just hear it now....."I'll do this but there won't be ANY question that I am NOT happy about it!"

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
GN or anyone........

Anyone SEEN the coal tar shampoo?? I can't find it anywhere.......I've been to every pet supply store TSC....you name it and can't find the stuff. When Molly would break out when she was much younger......a bath in this soap always cleared it right up.

Now I've been looking for the coal tar soap for about 2 yrs and have NOT been able to find it anywhere.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Daisy, I did a quick google search on coal tar shampoo but didn't specify that it was for dogs. One of the results though came up under Petco's website.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS261US262&q=coal+tar+shampoo"]coal tar shampoo - Google Search[/ame]

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The active ingredient in 'coal tar' shampoo is salicylic acid or sodium salicylilate. It dissolves excess dead skin flakes and built up grease.

I am astonished that any dealer selling the stuff would not mention that it is for dogs only.

Salicylates are a member of a group of coal tar distillates called phenols, and ALL phenols are potentially lethal to cats.

That's why cat owners should not use Lysol to clean cat areas and litter pans and the like. It can make them ill if they lick it off their paws or fur.

Call around to local vets and see what shampoos they have available. The specialty shampoos are quite expensive for a bottle but can actually be diluted for use.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Stang!! :D

Hmmm didn't know about Lysol and cats. Of course you can put what I know about cats into pretty much a thimble. lol Good thing for Bruce that I don't use Lysol anything to clean.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah. Original Pine-Sol or equivalent is also toxic. I see now that that and Lysol now come in different varieties and scents. I am not sure about those. I just avoid using them on principal.

There are plenty of good cleaners out there that don't carry the potential risk

by the way, a 5% solution of household bleach IS safe to use even on food and water dishes, so long as it is allowed to dry thouroughly before use.

In fact, this is the sanitizer commonly used in food service areas in hospitals and the like.