OMG...Dr Phil just emailed me!

DammitJanet

I was looking around on the Dr Phil website the other day and I saw something about an upcoming show called Parents:Afraid Kids will end up in Jail.

I just clicked on it to see what it was and it was requesting parents to fill in for this show...so I did just on a lark. I put in there all the problems I had with Cory and stated his legal problems and his mental health issues. I hit send and never expected to hear back.

Omgosh....I opened my email just a few minutes ago and there was an email from Dr phil saying they were interested in us...lol. I have to send in a photo of us, some questions and how I think the good dr can help us and I have to tell them that everyone knows that I wrote. I called Cory to make sure he is ok with this...which amazingly he is.

How wild...lol.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Excellent! Be sure to let us know when your episode is taped so I can tell people I knew you "when." :D

Suz

Last edited:

klmno

Wow, !! I think this is great. I actually wondered if maybe he could help with me and difficult child....so if you aren't going to take the entire show and he's looking for another family with a difficult child...well, let him know we're here, ok? LOL!! by the way- haven't we both already had our difficult child's "cross the line" of incarceration? My concern at this point is if my son will ever be abl;e to stay out of it now that he's already had to go down that road.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That's funny I automatically thought of you KLMNO!!!

Janet that is great! You can spread the word and be the voice for all of us! You go girl.
It had better not interfere with our board date.

DammitJanet

Actually...when I talked to Cory...and bear with me here as I really fight back tears of laughter.....Cory said he could be the "older" and "wiser" guy who tells the youngun's that they should listen to their parents and not do like he did and that he messed up so bad and is now paying the price...lmao.

Ok...rolling on the floor, laughing my butt off.

donna723

Wow, Janet! That great! You could do a wonderful job on there and really tell them how it is! Maybe they'll fly you in to tape the show and you'll get a free trip out of it too! Let us know when it's on and I'll have to call in 'sick' that day!

Where do they tape "Dr. Phil" anyway???

Lothlorien

Too darn funny about Cory. Exactly how long has he been on the straight and narrow? ;-)

Can't wait to find out if you are going to be on the show. That would be really awesome.

slsh

member since 1999
That is too cool, Janet. I sure hope he calls you back again - you'd do an excellent job of representing us!

I was just talking to somebody with- the state of IL today about difficult child's situation. He asked me what I saw as thank you's future. I told him that if we're very lucky, he won't commit suicide and *will* end up in jail.

He was a really interesting guy - said some states are starting to get it right by involving DOJ, SDs, local and state MI service agencies, clinical staff, and families all at one time so that the whole crew can come up with not only a treatment plan for today but also a long term plan. We figured out IL has spent $1.1 million on my son so far, and for what? There's no cohesiveness of planning and no followthru to guide my kid into adulthood and have services in place.

Anyway - definitely keep us updated. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Phil, but it will be interesting to see what he has to say on the subject. Do you know is he approaching from a mental illness standpoint or from a behavior disorder standpoint, or both?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
AWESOME! You should go for it, Janet! There are so few opportunities for parents to stand up in public to advocate for their kids' mental health needs -- the nation needs a lot more voices like yours talking about the issues you've faced so that things change -- stigma reduced, services improved, Know what I mean??

Jena

wow, that's really cool. you took a chance filled the thing out and boom! Let us know when he emails back im sure he will :)

everywoman

Way To Go Janet. You would be great. But I doubt any younger kids would listen to Cory or my Tripp because I know that they both saw plenty of examples of what not to do and why not to do it, and they did it anyway.