Omg!!! He did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

mstang67chic

Going Green
Phelps got EIGHT gold medals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The relay just won their race! Phelps has 16 medals, 14 gold and EIGHT from this Olympics alone! And, I believe 7 world records. Amazing!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I was watching it in public. I felt so proud of myself that I did not scream at the tv because that is what i would have been doing had I been here at home. That is so amazing.

beth

DammitJanet

Isnt he just so darned amazing! I could just squeeze him to death. I love the way he searches out the stadium for his mom. She is such a doll. And his coach is adorable too.

I love hearing his story. From the way she tells it I get the impression that she put him in swimming to help him overcome some sort of obstacle which I have an idea might have been something to do with hyperactivity. Just a hunch.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I saw his Mom being interviewed last weekend. She said he has ADHD. Growing up, he was the hyperactive, tall, gawky, kid with big ears that everyone made fun of.

She said, "I'm so happy that the world is finally seeing him as the extraordinary person I always knew he was."

:9-07tears:

Suz

Marguerite

We've been a bit busy for the last two days, but when we got home tonight and put the Olympics on TV, they were quick to give us the news.

I think it's funny that ONE COMPETITOR has enough medals to be higher on the tally board than most countries!

The Aussie media have been watching his progress too, they've been praising him to the skies as well. Aussie swimmers too are very happy for him, from what we've been hearing in interviews. No jealousy, no mean rivalry - just credit where credit is due.

As it should be. The guy is phenomenal!

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
Our NBC sportscasters are reporting that Ian Thorpe kind of got Phelps fired up. Supposedly Thorpe said something about how he didn't think Michael would be able to win all of those medals and it appeared in an article. Micheal was shown the article and immediately taped it to the inside of his locker for inspiration. I did see Ian in the audience after the 8th win but I couldn't really decipher the look on his face. I would guess disbelief but I'm not sure if it was an excited disbelief or something else.

TerryJ2

Yes, the police the other day told me that Phelps mother put him in swimming to deal with-his ADHD.
Bravo.
I remember when Mark Spitz took up swimming because he was an asthmatic.
Awewsome, to take a disability and turn it into a victory.

Wiped Out

Staff member
It sure was exciting to watch!! He is amazing! husband and I were screaming through the whole race. easy child went crazy screaming after the race!

KTMom91

I woke Hubby up while screaming at the TV. The look on Phelps' face when they won...That's GOLD! That's GOLD! I like the way the team really backed him...unlike Mark Spitz.

Very, very cool. Local news last night said that an indoor pool in town is getting record numbers of kids wanting lessons. I wonder if a future gold medalist is 5 years old and just beginning lessons in Fresno, CA? Very inspirational.

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish we got a tv channel that showed the Olympics.

On another note, this is the FIRST year in over 30 years that my uncle-in-law has not gone to cover teh olympics. he is going to London when they have them, but he flat out told his boss at the AP that he would NOT go this year. Not a family thing, my aunt was very surprised. I think he just had a feeling something bad would happen. I hope he is wrong (he usually is - in thought, deed, and off-work action, in my opinion. But I jsut don't like the guy, so I am biased.)

Marguerite

I haven't double-checked, but from what I know of Ian Thorpe he wouldn't have meant anything mean. The guy is incredibly gentle. I suspect his comment was either meant as, "I really don't see how you could train for such a wide variety of events, to such a high standard, and not burn out" or deliberately meant to drive him to do it; or even both?

Thorpie would be thrilled for him. He's be sorry for Grant Hackett, they're good friends too. But as I said before - credit where credit is due. There has been some long-term good-natured rivalry between the US swimmers and the Aussies. They're always stirring each other but always in fun. Frankly, anything else interferes with your mind-set too much.

On the radio this morning I heard Shane Gould, the Aussie swimmer who scored a record number of medals at the Munich Olympics (when Mark Spitz scored his bagful). She expressed concern that the really hard training being done by Michael Phelps and others really pushing themselves hard, could be doing them damage that could come back to bite them further down the track. She wasn't just talking about Phelps, she was talking about all the male swimmers primarily, regardless of which country. Ours too. She used some of our swimmers as examples, the ones whose health is breaking down and forcing them to retire.

If anyone would know, she would.

I checked up on what I could find about any problem between Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps - I couldn't find any evidence that there is a problem. In fact, I found evidence of attempts by the media to cause problems and report on problems between them that are not there. Spitz WAS cheesed off to not be invited to go to the Olympic Games when others like him HAD been invited - and frankly, I think he has a point. But independent of anything I found on this tonight on Wikipedia, I heard that Mark Spitz said that he was sad to see his record broken, but it had stood for long enough. He wished Michael all the best but felt he didn't need the luck, he was sure he would do it.

From my observations of the world swimmers over the years, and from what I have read that has been written by swimmers, beginning with Dawn Fraser, I think there is a great deal of camaraderie between swimmers of different countries. More conflict from athletes within the same country but most conflict between officials and athletes from the same country. And the most of all - is beat-up by the media.

I think Mark Spitz was an amazing athlete, I remember he talked to Shane Gould about competition back then - she was a kid at her first Olympics. He had experience and shared what he could with a new kid who was struggling with a lot of new experiences but without a lot of the supports that are in place for athletes these days. I followed her career (and life) closely, because her older sister was my classmate.

I also like what I've seen of Michael Phelps and his mother - they seem really good people, very natural and down-to-earth. Good on him!

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm glad to hear that about Thorpe Marg. I loved him in the Olympics he was in and would be really disappointed if I found out he was a big jerk.

Leisa

Hi,
I found this article about Phelps ADHD.
Healthwatch reporter Kellye Lynn sat down with his mother at her home in Baltimore County where she shared Michael's struggle with a commonly diagnosed medical disorder.

Before heading off to Beijing to cheer on her swimming sensation son, Debbie Phelps revealed his difficult diagnosis and how she and Michael overcame it.

Before Beijing, before swimming to Olympic gold, Michael Phelps was an outgoing, athletic kid whose energy never seemed to run out.

"Never sat still, never closed his mouth, always asking questions, always jumping from one thing to another. But I just said, `He's a boy,'" she said.

But as Debbie Phelps would later find out, there was a more accurate explanation for her son's lack of focus and fidgety behavior. At age 9, his doctor diagnosed Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which affects more than four million children in the U.S.

Like many kids with ADHD, Michael's treatment was medication and behavior modification.

"I controlled what he was doing on the weekends and holidays and summer because I made sure there was a rigid schedule in the household," she said.

Debbie quickly realized that tightly scheduling Michael's time proved effective in calming his behavior, as did one of his favorite sports: swimming.

"When you look at the sport of swimming, it's very regimented. There's time management built into that component, there's set things you do sequentially," Phelps said.

By 11, Michael was managing his ADHD without medication. Now, more than a decade after learning of her son's problem, Debbie is sharing her insight with other moms through a website called ADHD Moms.

"Parents want help and want a resource, but often they don't want to go face to face with someone, so to me, it's a safe haven," she said.

Even though the gold medalist is successfully managing his condition, every now and then, his mother sees the signs.

"He still jumps from thing to thing. He's talking to me and texting someone on his Blackberry and I'm like, `Stop it. It's either me or this.'" she said.

At the Beijing Olympics, Michael hopes to win eight gold medals, which would break the 1972 record set by fellow American swimmer Mark Spitz.

DammitJanet

I was watching the interview with Micheal and his mom on NBC and Jamie called me to ask if I had watched it. I laughed and said yes. Jamie said...I thought he reminded me of me...lmao.