OMG! I'm embarrassed. Ace has FLEAS!

DDD

He's never had fleas before and his skin looked bad. He was licking and scratching and scratching and licking. Twice before he's had to have steroid shots. I've asked you all for dog food suggestions. Our neurotic boxer has FLEAS. I can't believe it!
DDD

donna723

Some dogs can also be ALLERGIC to flea bites! Ragan is allergic to them, and even one on her will cause her to bite and scratch till her skin is raw.

H

HaoZi

Too bad the original Sevindust isn't available anymore, that stuff worked great. 3D, fleas is why I used to give my dogs those yeast tablets. Good for their skin and fleas didn't like how they tasted/smelled after they'd been eating them for a while. And being from FL myself I know how those fleas can be such a year-round problem!

klmno

Do you keep him on a preventative? If not, I'd suggest getting him on one once you get rid of these fleas. Frontline Plus is good for both fleas and ticks. Even with a preventative, I found out the hard way that after a few years on the same type, my dogs started to get a few fleas anyway so I had to switch brands for a few months then go back to frontline- so far that has worked. If you have carpet you'll need to deal with getting them out of that as well because most likely, there are eggs in your carpet.

DDD

It is the first time he's had fleas. Previous pets have had them. I just feel stupid because it didn't occur to me. I just assumed it was allergies. He's getting a dose of Frontline tonight. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
We have not had good luck with Frontline, and it's expensive for us - 140 lb dog. 75 lb dog. Miss Pootie refuses to give her accurate weight like any Southern lady in public forced upon the scales of injustice at the veterinary office. (you should see the look she glares at the vet attendent) it's nearly comical.

So we started trying Capstar (or it maybe called Capstone) capsules, which will kill fleas in about 15 minutes, and then you have to give another dose in about 7 days. Pills are around $6.00 each. In the interim? We mix up Diatamtious Earth (the edible kind) An entire jug of this stuff sold at our local pet rescue is only $8.95 and you mix it either in their food or like we do with milk, and they love it! For the first week? They get it every day. For every subsequent week? Once a week. You can even use it as doggie toothpaste, and for dusting the furniture, or carpets - you can eat it - I did, it's just like chalk.

NOT any diatamateous earth, this is the EDIBLE kind. But it works GREAT and for Casper the sensitive albino kid? NO BLISTERS this year - NONE, NADA, ZIP.

Fleas have no circulatory system so when they bite the dog, and injest this stuff that is in a dogs blood stream? They literally BLOW UP. (I think I have that right) I'll double check but they do blow up. And we haven't had a flea for almost a year. If they HAVE fleas - ask for the Capstar/capstone - and in 15 minutes? The fleas are DEAD/bang gone. Then do the powder in the food. We get cheap cans of milk....it's "treat" time. For Ace he'd probably get 1 TBS a day for 1 week and then 1 TBS a week - for the rest of his life.

All natural - and safe, and I get a discount for bringing the jug back, and it supports the animal mission.

DDD

Ace weighed in at 86 yesterday. That's just a one pound gain over the past year. I've never heard of your products Starbie but as is obvious...I'm no dog expert. It sure wounds simple and inexpensive. You're right the Frontline etc. are not cheap. Thanks. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just so you know - Caspta rhttp://www.vetinfo.com/is-capstar-flea-treatment-dogs-safe-for-long-term-use.html is NOT usually for permanent use. It's great for us when we find rescues and strays that need to come in for the night and then go to the vets or the shelter. It's not long lasting - maybe tops 48 hours - BUT it does give you enough time to get the initial infestation off, and comb through. It will NOT kill eggs. So you either have to continually give it, or get them on the (DE) treatment. Which is what we recommend.

BE SURE if you DO use diatomateous earth THAT IT IS THE FOOD GRADE AND NOT THE STUFF YOU USE NEAR POOLS. AGAIN REPEAT - USE FOOD GRADE ONLY.

TerryJ2

Oh, too funny! I typed this and then saw the note above it--

Glad you got some suggestions on food and other items. I'm going to put Diatomaceous Earth in the yard this yr. I did it a few yrs ago and it worked for 2 whole yrs. Totally nontoxic. A lot of people say it doesn't work but it worked for us. I need 4 huge bags of it.
You've got to treat the house, the yard, and the pet.

DDD

Capstar is ordered from the online pet store. I'm not sure if I can be as swift as you whipper snappers but I did order the Capstar, and a new dog food to try..plus Ace has had the flea liquid working as we speak. I only have one small room with carpet. I'm hoping to luck out. "Hope springs eternal in the hearts of men..." as my Dad used to say. Thanks so much. I'm far more informed now thanks to the breadth of the CD family. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
One of the professors I knew used to let nematodes loose in his yard. I'm not exactly sure how that worked, we could probably ask Marg being the resident zoologist and all, but I just kept thinking - "flea circus" when he would open the box and let them loose in his yard to do his evil bidding on whatever it was he was trying to kill. I kept thinking when asked "Can't you see them?" - Is this a trick question or does this old coot really think I see these things?

Diatomateous earth to a flea is like eating broken glass. From what I gather, there are several places on earth where you can harvest D.E., but only about four places that are harvested from for human consumption. The little sea creatures (diatoms) that have died leave shells and when those dry out? They are fragmented, and magnified look like bits of glass shards to a flea. When a dog or human ingests the DE fit for human consumption? it gets in the blood stream and does a whizbang job of doing many great things. However they diatoms are so tiny that when a flea bites and ingests the blood of a dog /cat/horse/animal that is on the treatment of DE? Those shards are transfered into the bloodstream of a flea or tick and they cut the insides of the flea to bits, much like eating shards of glass. I was originally told they damage the circulatory system - I guess in a way they do. Flea.Go. Boom.

I've also been reading and my actually try it - hollistically it has applications for humans to clean out your digestive tract, doesn't take out the bad mucus, in your system, and cleans out your endocrine system, and has posibilities of cleaning out your intestines. I wonder if it would be good for IBS or Chrones? It said in what I read to NOT us it if you have Lupus. So I guess if they ever thought I had it, this would tell em. lol. Interesting read.

D3 - I was told Hope Springs Eternal in a little fountain right outside of St. Augustine.....I've been to the entrance, but never made it down the primrose path as it were. Ponce de'Leon avenue I think - Fountain of Youth. lol. I would have to agree too, the cost of admission for one person (as the owner of that establishment) alone would have kept my face in botox treatments and butt lifts for years. Actually looked just like another Artesian well with a gift stand if you ask me - and Wikki Wachi had MERMAIDS - can't beat that.

DDD

This is a bit off topic but did any of you ever have a drink from the Fountain of Yourh? I don't know if they still "offer" it but OMG it tastes like liquid dysentery. I'm amazed I am still alive after a tiny sip in the l960's. :sigh:

Did you ever make it to Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven? That was always my favorite attraction.
As a water skier (past tense...darn it) I loved the ski show, the gardens were magnificent and the butterfly garden was a favorite of the boys. It was there forever, then closed, then reopened and now I don't know what the status is for the place. To me it was much neater than the BIG spots for vacationers. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Never have I partaken of the fated waters from the infamous fountain, but perhaps this explains the youth that bespeaks your sage wisdome and wondrous, energetic youth to keep up with one said slightly excitable Boxer?

If you visited Cypress Gardens I am envious - wrong coast. We did West Coast attractions.