OMG!!! It JUST Hit Me!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I spoke with my father earlier today as Wiz was just getting home from school.

Wiz just finished his LAST day of high school!!!

He GRADUATES!!!!!!!!!

It just now hit me as I was thinking about a gift for him -

IT IS REAL!!!!

Just 3 years ago I was pretty certain he was going to be in juvy or prison at this point because he wouldn't/couldn't be safe around any of us. I then took expectations for him like high school off the table because if he fell into old habits my heart couldn't stand it.

He has done SO WELL with my parents!!! NOT perfect, but pretty much on the high-easy child end of the typical teen scale.

I feel like I can quit holding my breath! I am sure he will struggle, especially when tech school starts up again next fall, but he has 1 year tuition free in his machinist program and then he will work as a machinist to pay for college. Or that is the plan he has.

It is just so INCREDIBLY AMAZING to be writing this. Esp when I look back on the dark days.

He doesn't drink, smoke anything, use drugs other than his prescriptions (which will continue to be on our insurance for as long as he is in school full time), and even hangs out with some really nice kids!!

Thank you to everyone here - you helped us all up from the pit we were in when I joined this wonderful forum.

To those with difficult children who are still struggling - they can improve. If Wiz can then anyone can. I firmly believe that. The tough part is figuring out how to get them to a position where they will USE the tools we taught them.

Susie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wow Susie,
I have tears in my eyes from reading this. Congrats to both you and Wiz!! Thank you for sharing such a hopeful story. Hugs.

LittleDudesMom

Susie,

What a wonderful post to read first this morning!

It's always heart-warming to hear about the successes of the difficult children we have gotten to know over the years.

Congrats to difficult child and the entire family!!!!

Sharon

M

ML

Susie what a time of celebration. Wooo Hooo!!! I'm thrilled for Wiz and for you AND encouraged for the rest of us who wonder if we'll ever make it. Thank you and congratulations from this board auntie. Any thoughts on a gift?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:bigsmile: You have so much to be proud of in him! This is one of those moments we all hope to be able to have -- I'm so happy he's turned things around and has so much hope for his future!

lovemysons

Oh Susie,
What a GREAT post! I, too, am VERY proud of your Wiz?

For the life of me I don't know I ended up with 2 drug/alcohol addicted sons and then there are boys like your difficult child who totally escape it and all it's horrors...You are SO blessed Sus, I hope you know that.

How great it is too that your Wiz already has a good plan for his future...a reason to keep trying and staying out of trouble.

Soooo, just what will you get for your special guy?
I won't have the satisfaction of a "graduation gift" until my easy child, Jess, graduates next year. She'll be the first of our children to have that honor and recognition.

So happy for you and your Wiz...
Love and hugs,
Tammy

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
:student::beautifulthing::bravo:
What an awesome post!!! Wonderful to read first thing in the morning!!

Congrats to difficult child and YOU!!!

Hugs, Vickie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie*,

I am so proud of your Wiz. I think your post hit me pretty hard, because I know how hard you have struggled with this kid and to think that he is ....um.....GRADUATING? OH wow - I couldn't be happier for you! And him! AND did I read he got a scholarship to tech? AWESOME JOB!!

This is fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!

Now - 2 more to go and you are FREEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee.

Hugs

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
So happy to hear your news! It does happen, difficult child's do grow into easy child's, it just takes longer than you think you can stand. Last year my difficult child 1 graduate on time and with her peers, and we had a year since then of false starts, but one year post graduation she is maturing and taking responsibility beyond what I had expected. It may be slow, but it's progress.

I'm so glad that you are seeing the fruits of your hard work and perseverance. And that Wiz was able to do this for himself.

Onward and upward! Enjoy the graduation and wear waterproof mascara.