OMG It's HOT!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wow-you are all really hot! We aren't that hot but very humid. husband has been pestering me about turning on the a.c. So far I've said no due to trying to save some money but I know it's only a matter of time!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, first off there are tricks to living with no AC.

1. You get fans in the windows at night and pull in as much cooler air as possible before noon the next day. (or when it begins to warm up)

2. Curtains stay drawn, blinds pulled on whatever side of the house the sun happens to be on.

3. Lights on inside are avoided as much as possible. You wouldn't believe how much they can increase the temp in a room.

4. I do my utter best to keep the north and south windows in the house open. The cross breeze created can be amazing.

5. By noon window fans are turned off to avoid pulling in hotter air from outside. We rely on the ceiling fans at this point and room fans.

Maybe I'm getting used to it, but today didn't seem as bad as yesterday. I think the humidity was down some. Still hot as heck, but not as muggy.

I keep repeating to myself that some how my ancestors survived the summer heat without AC, and they wore much hotter fashions than I have to choose from. Plus they didn't even have fans at one point. So I tell myself, if they can do it, so can I.

But when I'm lying in bed feeling like I'm sitting in a sauna (literally) I find myself in awe of their stimina.:surprise:

As for the cold showers........ Oh, believe me, once your body temp reachs a certain level they most certainly work. By the time the heat had driven me into the shower I felt like I had a raging furnace inside of me. A half hour of cold water cooled me down to the very core and I was much cooler for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be a high of 82. I think I'll be in heaven. lmao:greedy:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Good list Lisa - I do all those things. We only have 3 windows using N/S air cross ventilation. With the heavy duty pollen count, I can't put those air suc.king in fans in the windows just yet, but I prefer fresh air to AC and can't wait till it's time!

It never fails, though, I will come home and H will have every light on inside - especially the overhead bright lights instead of the table lamps with the lower wattage. I tell him about how they unbelievably raise the temp indoors but he thinks I'm crazy.

On days like these, I leave the pups in my room with the AC going on power saver, so at least it's not blasting all day long. And I set it just to take the edge off. They appreciate it, I can tell. LOL. :crazy1:

Mom2oddson

I'm so jealous. The last time we had a first week in June this cold was 1894. Yes 1894. They had to go back two centries to find a week like this.

I have to go to Rhode Island next week for training. I'll pack as much cold weather as the airline will let me carry. You can keep it, if you want.

TerryJ2

Way To Go, Jo!
Mom2oddson, you are way up there. I can imagine it would be nice to have some warm, or even hot days a cpl X a yr. But this, with-the humidity, is NOT nice.
I hope it warms up a bit for you. And cools down a bit for the rest of us. :)