OMG My Mother Complimented Me!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stop the world.......hades must have frozen over!!:tongue:

Most of you are aware of how my mother is. And while my sibs are often complimented by her and praised.....She doesn't ever do that with me. There has never been a mother/child bond between us.

But tonight she made a point of saying how she is amazed at my family. (and I thought uh oh, where is this going) Mom said she's never seen another family like ours. That we are a really tight knit family, very loving, caring, and kind to each other. That we enjoy one another.

Mom said I'd told her when I was young that I was going to be a stay at home Mom because I was going to be all the things I thought a parent should be to my kids, that I never got to have as a child. At the time she said when I told her that it hurt her.

But evidently, I'd made the best possible decision for our little family. Because look at the end result. No drama, sibs bending over backward to help each other, lots of love......Said she didn't know how I did it, but was in awe that I'd managed it. That I'd truly done an amazing job raising my kids. :surprise:

:holymoly:

Wow. Ok........so she probably won't remember she ever said it........But I will. Wow.

This from the woman who disowned me too many times to count, who has told me I'm evil, devil's spawn, satan's child....and that I'm going to burn in the fires of hades for eternity. This from the woman who told me I was too strict, too over bearing, too mean and cold hearted.......Well, you get the idea.:faint:

Wow. I think I'm in serious shock.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa,

I'm so glad your mom gave you that compliment, it is so well deserved!! May there be many more to come from her. Hugs.

Jena

Lisa

Are our Mom's related?? maybe 3rd cousin once removed? LOL :)

I'm glad you got that compliment, like you said it matters that you will remember it! Your a great Mom and that compliment was long overdue.

(((Hugs)))

Are you in need of smelling salt?? :)

tiredmommy

Lisa,

My mother and I lack a mother/child bond as well so I completely understand how momentous this is. I'm glad your mother has recognized just how special you are!

everywoman

As a woman who has had to "raise" her mother, I know how much it means. Mine never appreciated me until she had difficult child come live with her because she could handle him--it lasted 3 months and she called me every day during that time----congrats---I know what it means for someone to recognize all you've done---especially when you've had to invent the role from scratch.

DammitJanet

Lisa, have her checked for either taking her medications or alzheimers.

Really, you think I jest. I knew something was really off with my mom when she told me that I had been such an easy child to raise and she was sorry she hadnt had more just like me! I looked over at her and did a double take to see if she was kidding. She wasnt. I knew then she very sick. LOL.

flutterby

Fly away!
Lisa, I'm so happy for you that you had this moment with your mom. And thank you for sharing with us. This brought tears to my eyes. And, yes, you very much do deserve to hear this.

(((hugs)))

Abbey

Spork Queen
Congrats!!! Sometimes it hard for people of the 'older' generation to express feelings. I'm glad she took the time to say it.

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
Wooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. How great for you! And I agree....MUCH deserved!!!! Hold on to that, I'm sure it means a lot to you.

Now....if we could just get your husband's head out of his.....eh.....one miracle at a time, right?

M

ML

Definitely well deserved. Perhaps your mother has done some growing. I hope that that statement can lay the groundwork for healing. By the way, we've know this about you all along. You rock in CD world :) Love, ML

TerryJ2

Lisa, I'm fanning you right now. Take a deep breath. Whew!

Make sure you write down your mother's compliment and mentally refer to it often when you need it. :)
I have no idea what caused her to say that, but you know what? She's right. :)

I remember when my mom complimented me on adopting my difficult child ... when he was about 8 yrs old!!! It took that long. I think her church group was talking to her about it, because the terminology was a bit off from her usual conversation, LOL. Whatever.

Just take what you can get! Savor the moment.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, I'll remember it. But she's most likely already forgotten it. LOL

Janet I had to crack up at your reply. I was thinking as I hung up the phone "hmmm wonder if she's had a small stroke?" That or a break from reality. LOL

Sooooo out of character.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Like the occassional tidbits of good stuff we get from difficult child's....file it away in that treasure box of memories!

witzend

You know, L's paternal grandmother was one of the most evil people I ever met in my life. She never had a good word to say to or about anyone. Life was all about finding something to feel superior about. She got Alzheimer's a few years before she passed. L said that during that time she turned into the sweetest thing. She always had a nice word for everyone, always asked if it was ok if she did this or that. I figured that she was worried that they were going to put her in a home if she didn't act nice, but I suppose she could have had a legitimate change of personality.

Another possibility is that she is concerned that the favorite children whom she doted upon are sick of her stuff and will abandon her in her hour of need as she ages. Maybe she thinks you're a soft touch?

Gosh, I sound awful, don't I? I'm pretty sure that your mom and my dad are birds of a feather, and if he said something along those lines, I would be certain that he either was losing his mind or he wanted something. I bet it's nice to hear, though... ;)

TerryJ2

I would be certain that he either was losing his mind or he wanted something.

LOL. Unfortunately, too true for many of our relationships with-family.