Omg omg omg

Jena

wow that is huge and i'm sorry i'm so late to this i haven't been able to be on lately.

that is progress bigtime, yea sure the words he said weren't great but he walked away! that's awesome.

soon the right words will follow also!! so proud of him and you!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Isn't it an absolutely amazing, breath-taking, incredible gift to have a staff that "gets it"? I can remember how it felt when I picked Wiz up after school that first month of 5th grade. He had been homeschooled to get him healthy and because his teachers were cruel and sadistic.

The weight of the world came off when I saw that he was not only going to school and enjoying it, but he was also enjoyed by the staff!

This has been such a rough road. I am glad that there are babysteps taken on difficult child's side and by the staff.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He had a great weekend, too. We praised and praised and praised. The lady that owns the restaraunt who has become a very good friend and supporter of difficult child made him a special pineapple upside down cake, and let him set up a lemonade stand in her restaraunt, several people gave him a few extra "tips" for his hard work.

THAT for me, says he should have been allowed to go on the field trip.

Marg, after they heard the whole story, they allowed him to go on the field trip, but he asked to play with a group of kids on the playground instead, and they let him. Which I think is also great.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
WOW
I was gone the day you posted this or missed it!
How cool is this whole post?
it is just truly amazing, when you look at how the authority figure handled the whole incident, it seemed SO easy, maybe the SD should come and take a class from them! LOL
It is all in how we deal with each individual child!
Just because they have a diagnosis does not mean they are are the same, I wish people would figure this out!
Restraining your child and isolating him is obviously NOT the answer. It freaks him out and sends him into sensory overload, makes his head go into a chaotic state where he can't think, so much more stuff that he can't even express.

He needs understanding and for once he got it! And he tried his darndest to be a big boy and deal with it!
Pass the tissues...

Good for you for rewarding him!
I would have bought lemon-aid from him, and a big tip. :)

susiestar

Roll With It
If he wants to continue the lemonade stand check out Sunkist's website. They sometimes have a free lemonade stand they send. It is a cardboard stand you set up (looks like the ones you see in cartoons) and it comes with a citrus juicer, recipes, and helpful tips for the young entrepreneur.

Ours was a LOT of fun - and the kids raised $90 for heifer international (which was tehn matched by husband's company!).

I finally donated ours to the church a few months ago. We usually set it up at church anyway, and this way all the kids can try it.