OMG. Pray for me.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Today is the traditional pumpkin fest here. I underestimated the importance. Nearly half of our parking lot (which is HUGE) is devoted to this...and I've got 10 hours today. There has to be at least a couple thousand pumpkins and other related holiday things out there. I sat at the bus stop last night watching these guys loading all this stuff.

I said to one guy, "So...is there a cashier out here to check all this stuff?" No, they have to bring it inside. Ugh. So much for getting the hand to heal.:sad-very:

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
This is what check out boys are for......you can't leave the cash register ..... you would think they could get a better system going outside....... have them pay then pass thru a gate and show receipt for purchases..... let the customer carry the pumpkins......

Hope they get it figured out....or a sudden case of flu?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG Abbey! Sending extra hugs, and some powerful juju that most customers with pumpkins ect go to someone else's line to check out.

I hope they gave you tomorrow off.

(((hugs)))

Andy

Oh Abbey - I hope the customer brings in the pumpkin. I attended a school trip to a pumpking patch last year. Each kid was allowed to take one pumpkin home. Our one rule: YOU CAN ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU CAN CARRY. THE TEACHERS AND HELPERS WILL NOT CARRY ANY PUMPKIN!

Make the customer move the pumpkin. "Please put your pumpkin on the scale. Thank you! You can take your pumpkin off the scale now!"

Abbey

Spork Queen
Letting out a big sigh right now...and having a stiff drink.:tongue:

This thing was HUGE. Along with the pumpkins, they had tons of Indian corn, pony rides, a jumpy thing for the kids, band, brauts, beer garden, yadda. I swear the entire town showed up.

I probably only to move about 500 pumpkins. :angry-very:

One guy came in with 4 pumpkins and 9 cases of the 24 pack soda. (I hate soda sales.) I just stopped...looked at him with a scowl and held up my hand which is in a brace. He cracked up. Yeah...real funny. I wanted to say, "Get your :censored2: over here and move this stuff!" Ummm...I think management would frown on that, so I bit my tongue.

On the plus side, I do have tomorrow off and husband is FINALLY going back to Vegas to get our stuff. He won't be back for 3 weeks, though.

Abbey

KTMom91

Saying prayers, because I figure even if you made it through today, something else will come up on Monday, whether it's pumpkins, soda, or an equally heavy item.

Enjoy your drink!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Stupid pumpkins...:pumpkin:
stupid soda....:wine:
At N's pre-school one of the teachers grew a 150 pound pumpkin... guess who happened to be right there when she needed help lifting it out of the car and carrying it ALL the way to the class. husband with his bad back. He is soooo nice. THey at least had a wheel barrow. The thing was huge!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey I hope you get a chance to put your feet up and relax tomorrow. Enjoy the drink. I'm sure after all that you more than need it. whew

And people wonder why I only take 1 gallon of milk out of the cart, 1 case of soda (when I buy it), and always remove the scan sticker for those enormous bags of dog food and simply tell the cashier the number of gallons of milk/soda. I've been on the other side of the counter and know how it feels.

Pamper yourself tomorrow.

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Daisy, that is thoughtful on your part. BUT...we are required to have EVERYTHING out of the cart to be scanned. You have 3 gallons of the same darn milk? All three must come out. You have 9 12 packs of soda? All must come out. They claim it's a loss prevention issue. I claim it's crapola.

Don't even get me started on the 50lb. bags of rock salt or dog food.:sick: Try scanning that! I just appease them by getting on my belt and typing in the UPC code and do a BIG shove down.

I guess on the positive side I've developed some nice muscles in my arms, shoulders and back. Toss in having to walk to and from the bus station (only two blocks on the way there, but 2 miles on the way home), my legs are looking a tad better. Who needs a gym?;) Just ignore my arm brace, slight limp, swollen ankles and bright green apron I have to wear walking home from the bus stop, I look like a beauty queen!! (Note to self: Remember to wear a coat when you go to work.) Oh, forgot about the pocket protector stuffed to the hilt. If that doesn't say NERD, I don't know what does.

Don't even asked about the stuffed bra. Another new checker asked me today if I had a copy of the 'cheat sheet' I made for the flipping hundreds of codes you have to memorize. I reach inside my bra and pull out a full page of codes and handed it to her. She stares at me like a deer in headlights and says...ummm..thanks. Here - you want a Sharpie? How about some scissors for those coupons they never cut out? I've got a stolen manager's badge for those annoying void overrides, too. The Exacto knife is a bit tricky to get out in a pinch, but I'll make it work.

She just stands there blinking, then slowly walks away.

You think I'm kidding. Sad to say, I'm not. I've got this stuff down to an art. Bend down so the cameras/customers can't see you and snatch that stuff out in an instance. No problem, Mrs. Smith! I know you love to sign your check with a Sharpie. Whip that puppy out.

Abbey

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I have never understood the need to have all the **** out of the cart either. makes no sense to me. The heavy stuff is just not something I want to tote in and out and in and out of the cart much less feel guilty about making someone else do it. Course now the door police get you if not everything is in a bag. And of course when I shop with husband he ALWAYS puts that darn reciept away instead of leaving it out. Because the door person wasn't just staring at us as the checker took care of our stuff.

Last edited: