OMG...the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is teaching Kanga to drive

JJJ

They have lost their flipping minds. A child with rage issues, slow processing speed, significant issues with problem solving...currently 'recovering' from a major patch of instability and violence...yep, lets give her a 2000 pound weapon she can drive over the next person who ticks her off.

Oh, and she might be starting work at a nursing home. Yep, lets give her access to a very vulnerable population...just days after her arrest for battery.

So very, very glad that she is far away and I am not legally responsible for the koi they are letting her do.

InsaneCdn

doesn't guarantee she'll get the license. (we can hope, right)

But if she can drive... then she is more mobile, which might be a bigger problem than just the driving?
All of a sudden it would be a lot faster for her to come "home"...

buddy

Can I be first to buy your book and have a chance to invest in the movie? The things you have been through! ugggg

JJJ

doesn't guarantee she'll get the license. (we can hope, right)

But if she can drive... then she is more mobile, which might be a bigger problem than just the driving?
All of a sudden it would be a lot faster for her to come "home"...

And that terrifies me.

She knows she is not welcome here and I would call the police but I'm afraid that she'd avoid coming to the door and just try and 'run into' the kids when they are out. husband and I had planned on moving when she turned 18 so that she couldn't just show up but we just can't afford it right now. We have two vacant houses on our block and it'd be tough to sell our house with those two sitting there at low asking prices.

We just have to pray that no one will lend her a car to drive 100s of miles. Of course, if she really wanted to get here -- with or without a car, she could.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Speechless here as well. The MH care needs a complete overhaul and yet our government doesn't see the need.

JJJ I wish you could sell and move :(

JJJ

OMG whose stupid idea was that?!

Apparently the TLP went through some sort of review a couple years ago and not "providing the clients with an opportunity to achieve age appropriate independent living skill of obtaining their drivers license" was considered a bad thing. So they now offer drivers Ed.

I can only pray that her low academic skills prevent her from passing the test.

busywend

JJJ, I bet she passes....determination does wonders. Glad they still inform you of what is going on, it is good to know this is a possibility that she could show up, easier at least.

buddy

JJJ, I bet she passes....determination does wonders. Glad they still inform you of what is going on, it is good to know this is a possibility that she could show up, easier at least.

oh gosh, a whole new dimension....if she doesn't have a car or friends with one....
"borrowing" someone's car to get where she wants to go??? (just hit me when I read that)

I like the positive spin though....wonder if she is that determined and really wants it, if she would do some positive things to actually achieve a goal of having a car? Might be lofty but I suppose it is just as easy to imagine an ok outcome, I suppose a car or just a license even is a much more concrete goal (maybe less "someday"....like a good job or home of her own etc....) that could help her stay on track. That depends of course on whether or not they tie it to appropriate behaviors. Sounds like they just do it because other kids get to do it though.

Goals Q wants to achieve like a job or whatever have never really helped him to do better day to day but the concrete goal of getting actual money from a job is working wonders. He is soooo happy to have a job and get paid the 25 cents per hour or whatever it is...he is over the moon with $8.75 every couple of weeks he earns. I give him far more for his Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) outings etc...but that means nothing to him. I would never in a million years have guessed this would be so motivating to him. Maybe driving will turn out to be a good thing......(OK I"m trying here.... I have the same concerns, Q would just get mad on the road and rage against someone, or think he had the right of way just because he wanted it, etc.....no, never in a million years would driving be a good idea)

rejectedmom

UG! Unfortunately this does not surprise me as I had similar experiences with various programs I hooked my difficult child up to. One of the most amazing things that happened to me was when my difficult child had attacked me and was bending my hands back so far the wrists were about to snap. He refused to stop and every time I told him he was hurting me and to let go he bent them back with more force. Finally I went on the defensive and told him to let go or he would be sorry. He applied more force so I kneed him in his package. He relayed this to his therapst and her response was that she could help me become less reactive. I guess so that the next time I could just smile as he broke my bones. That was when psychiatrist told me to get another therapist. At least someone had their feet in reality. -RM

My experince is lack of executive/planning skills it will not happen. In theory my daughter could have gotton her license at age 18 and she talks frequently about getting her license but the waiting in lines, etc., it has never happnened.
I figured it was living skills issue.

DDD

Obviously I'm adding my OMG! Reading the thread makes me wonder if the next skill will be going to the gun range and learning self defense. Gezz........the system is nuts! DDD