OMG, What Was He Thinking?

witzend

I couldn't even read further after you said what he did to his tongue. My God, what kind of a person would do that to another person? It can't be a medical person or someone with a license! I would have him committed as a danger to himself. Can a person even live and eat like that? I'm truly disturbed by this post. I'm so sorry that you have to live with this knowledge.

catwoman

I understand that our difficult children make dumb, spontaneous decisions that they later come to regret. I can certainly understand why a forked tongue would be upsetting. But I have to say that I get tired of the attitude that "tattoos and piercings = lowlife trash."

I have a full sleeve and other tattoos which I love. This is artwork to me, it's part of who I am. Many of my friends, of all ages, have piercings and ink. This is a form of art to many people. Once our kids are 18 they can do anything they choose to their bodies. We're not always going to like those choices but it doesn't mean that they're automatically bad.

trinityroyal

Catwoman, you make a very interesting point.

I don't know that anyone is saying that all tattoos and other body art are bad or trashy. Many tattoos are beautiful and evocative. But...in my opinion, having your tongue split in two goes WAY past beautiful art and far into the territory of self-mutilation.

I think of it this way. 2 years ago I had surgery to correct malformed toes on both of my feet that were causing me so much pain that I was having trouble walking. The surgery was significant, and involved restructuring, and removal of parts of my toe bones. Now I can walk and wear shoes without pain.

But...suppose I started out with perfectly normal toes, and decided to have surgery to add extra bits of bone and malformed curvature, which would result in a lot of pain.

That's where I make the distinction. If your body art is an enhancement that won't damage you or cause you possibly irreparable pain, then fill your boots. When you are causing yourself harm through body changes, then I have a significant issue.

Just my $0.02
Trinity

catwoman

Trinity, who makes the distinction of whether it's "enhancement" or "damage?" I'm quite sure he doesn't feel damaged. He may deeply regret it in the future, but for now it's what he's chosen. You and I may find it deeply disturbing but that doesn't make it wrong. When easy child daughter had a face full of piercings I let her know that I found some of it hard to look at, but it was her body and if it made her happy, so be it.

trinityroyal

Catwoman, I agree with you there too.
I don't want to dictate what adults choose to do or not do to their bodies. I do worry about the state of mind of the person choosing to make such a decision and to take such a step, though.

I worry that if someone does something irreversible, and then live to regret it later...

This is an interesting discussion about a very difficult and personal issue.

I don't have answers, just opinions and impressions.

WiscKaren

Thanks again everyone for your replies. I just want to add for the record that I have nothing against tattoo's -- but in the case of my son, his are absolutely vulgar. Without going into details, as I know if I did alot of you would shudder, but he has one from his shoulder down to his elbow that depicts a death scene. It is horrifying! It is not pretty. Those are the kind of tattoos that I am against.

As far as piercings, I don't mind if they are done is good taste. Like in the ear region, eyebrow (I actually like them!), but with my son, he has a bar through the top of his nose (like right under the eyes), piercings in both nostrils, about 5 piercings through the lips....and then about 15 in his chin area. Now to me, that is a little bit too much and not attractive looking at all! And then he wears his hair mohawk style, and that goes from red, to pink, to green.....

But not my problem. I just worry about what the future holds for him (i.e., job).

I do appreciate everyone's comments though to this posting.