OMG, When I get ahold of him I am going to

rejectedmom

Marcie, When I renovated my 1920's kitchen I decided to keep the cabinets they were in good shape and so I refinished them. Then I went out to buy a countertop. UG! Nothing standard fit and to just have a custom laminate made was unbelivably expensive ($4000 I kid you not at the local home store). So I bought plywood cut it to the size I needed afixed 1" x 1" across the edge to make a lip and then tiled it with beautiful granite like 8" x 8"floor tile & put right angle edging tiles on the facing. It is beautiful and I saved thousands of dollars. Be sure to prime the plywood before applying the adhesive. I set the tiles close together and got the polymer grout in a similar color because it is stain proof.

Give the job to your "handy difficult child". If you go to salvage stores you can get your tile really cheap. Alot of times it is brand new. Another option is tile outlets. They sell all the discontinued stuff just be sure to buy enough for the job with a little extra for OOPs and later repairs should one crak somewhare down the line. I love tile because it is so durable and heat resistant and stain proof. Good Luck! -RM

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Ahhh thanks RM - I had not even got to the point of seeing how much the custom stuff cost - not even going to bother now LOL

I made the attempt to refinish my cabinets - in the 20's they really were into quality - my 60's cabinets were a hodgepodge of different woods, so I ended up having to paint them.

I am going to have to just have him finish demolishing the rest of the tile/cement and re tile the counter.

Marcie