Omg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Dethaw? Wow. One of my uncles uses that word. He also uses "yous" as in "Yous better not leave your car there.". It makes me want to scream!!!

As for obscenity alternatives, I used to call one kid a terpsichorean. She got SOOOO angry. So did one teacher - sent me to the principal's office. Principal had to look it up and then just laughed at me. Girl was on the school dance team. Sent me back to class with a candy bar and a soda and a note to the teacher to look up the word, write it and the definition, then use it in a sentence five times. This was a standard punishment for cursing (1st offense). It was funny (to me) that the principal made the teacher do it.

Needless to say I was NOT that teacher's pet.

Does your uncle mean to refreeze something, or does he use it as in "I'm going to dethaw something for dinner"...meaning DEFROST or THAW???

Got caught in middle school calling someone a name. Teacher made me use the unabridged dictionary to come up with something more appropriate. Obsequious nit was my choice. Means approximately the same thing. Sycophant would have worked too, but after I found obsequious I was done.

mstang67chic

Going Green
As for obscenity alternatives, I used to call one kid a terpsichorean. She got SOOOO angry. So did one teacher - sent me to the principal's office. Principal had to look it up and then just laughed at me. Girl was on the school dance team. Sent me back to class with a candy bar and a soda and a note to the teacher to look up the word, write it and the definition, then use it in a sentence five times. This was a standard punishment for cursing (1st offense). It was funny (to me) that the principal made the teacher do it.

Needless to say I was NOT that teacher's pet.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

*off to look up terpsichorean*

Jody

Too funny. I did look up the word, learned something new today. Two brooms is a cute name for a mother in law, glad I don't have one!!!

Marguerite

easy child 2/difficult child 2 was in English class when they were reading a poem. Teacher commented how some words don't necessarily mean anything, but the sound of the word suggests the meaning. For example, Shakespeare's use of the word "bubble" in Macbeth, was the first use of the word, Shakespeare just made it up to rhyme with "trouble". Teacher then used tis to explain to the class that the poem's author had used the word "tintinabulation" in the same way, to drescribe the cacophany of tinny rattling sounds.

easy child 2/difficult child 2, an avid reader, spoke up. "That word means the ringing of bells, miss. Tintinabulation, I mean."

The teacher didn't believe her but to her credit, looked it up. She was amazed and thought easy child 2/difficult child 2 was very bright to have read the sort of book that held such words. But easy child 2/difficult child 2 had read it on a "Peanut Butter and Jelly" book her sister had. A kid's book.

Just shows - it pays to be a reader.

On the subject of substituting swear words - if you say the substitute word with the same amount of force and venom, the original meaning still comes across and it can still be offensive. I was at the back of the church one day after choir practice (when I was a kid) and shut the door on my finger. I screamed out, "SUGAR!" and really copped a lecture from the minister's wife.

However, I got into the long-term habit of substituting innocent words for swear words, the day I had to explain to easy child why she shouldn't use a certain SH word. easy child asked what the word meant, so I told her. "It means poo," I said.
She thought about it and said, "Is that why you say that word when difficult child 1 has a dirty nappy?"

Time to substitute. And the habit has stayed with me.

So now difficult child 3 has started swearing when angry - I really don't know where it has come from.

The fun comes for us, when we have visitors from the US staying with us who get offended at some of the words which are in common usage for us. We used to have a family TV comedy show called "Full Frontal". Our visitors were scandalised when our kids announced it was their favourite show...

Marg

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I love reading a thread where I need to use a dictionary and the words are clean! :whew:

Thanks so much to you obsequious, cruciverbalist, terpsichoreans! :bravo: :yourock:

Suz

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Suz... Me too. Big words that I can teach my kids and they think they are cool 'cause they are so big and people don't get them.

The summer between 6th & 7th grade I was HORRIBLY bored. No books. Not a big fan of TV. So I determined to read a dictionary.

Oh wow, BOORRRRIIINNNGG. But you know what? I made it through. Took the entire summer. I don't remember most of it, and it was a pocket dictionary, not the big ones. Still.

Onyxx asked me how to spell something the other night... I handed her a dictionary and told her to look it up. She looks at me. "How will I find it if I can't spell it?"

I rolled. That was what I used to say when told the same thing...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hysterical.

easy child 1 used to tell everyone their epidermis was showing.

And yes, Step, she asked easy child 2/difficult child why she was letting herself get so fat...

Ugh,