On a lighter note, anyone ever do a doggy DNA test?

BusynMember

I sooooooooooooo badly want to test my lab/whatever-it-is. Lucky looks like a mini-lab and supposedly her mom was a cocker. I don't see cocker. If so, she's not pure cocker. She is the most aloof dog I've ever had. She loves ME and our family and is always near me, but she NEVER EVER plays with the other two dogs. It's like they don't exist to her or she's too good for them...lol. She's also not crazy about strangers althoug she tolerates petting (and I do mean *tolerates*). She is very VERY independent, not traits of labs or spaniels and she doesn't look like a chow. Since I love my puppies to death, I'd love to know what she is and what makes her tick. She is so different. Anyone actually do this?

BusynMember

I have no idea how to do a photo here. I guess I could change my avator to her...Prince has had his day on the avatar long enough...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd never put the money out for it..........But I'd like to know exactly what combo Molly is. Obviously german shepard........owner of parents said ridgeback mixed with the shepard. But there was also a rottie on the property not fixed.

The old couple that owned her parents were authentic Hill Folk. You wouldn't believe how far I went and on what sort of roads I drove on to pick her up. Nice old couple. Parent dogs were awesome. The couple told me if she was anything like her parents she'd be the most loving loyal and intelligent dog on the planet. And she most certainly turned out to be exactly that.

I swear I talk to her in sentences and she does what I want her to do, whatever it is.

I'm so gonna be a basket case when she eventually passes.

witzend

Lazy and aloof? I'm thinking part cat... Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's hard to see much from the photo, but I do know how difficult it is to take a photo of a black dog! Which is actually a bit of a hint in itself, because the black labs being bred now almost all have a white bib and white paws. What about a Flat Coated Retriever, or a Field Spaniel?

In all honesty, without the DNA, you'll never know for sure. It's a Heinz 57, as my grandpa used to say...

BusynMember

I think she's part cat...lolol! Actually, she does have white, on her neck quite a lot and a few of her paws.
I would think she is part chow, but she doesn't look anything like a chow!

mstang67chic

Going Green
My Cloe is part chow but doesn't look it. The only way you can tell is when she opens her mouth. She has the dark purple tongue and mouth. Actually, even though she was born two houses down, we still don't know all that she is. We know who the mother was and we're pretty sure who the father was but .....LOL...the father was one strange looking dog! I think he had just about everything in him. The vet seems to think pit and chow (which we knew/figured) and some Shar-pei. Beyond that is anyone's guess.