On a positive note...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I may have mentioned a while back about a possible paid job falling out of my volunteer work with difficult child 1's school lacrosse team. I'm on the board for the booster club and created a web site for them when the school first opened and the club was established in 2009 -- and despite not having any experience ever doing something like that, I think it turned out half decently.

Add to that my willingness to do whatever job needs doing, attention to detail, good communication skills, creativity, yada, yada, yada, and now going into my third year with these people I've developed a good working relationship with two of the other board members and the coach. This coach has developed so much trust and respect for the three of us that we are now being hired to come on board as directors of a non-profit youth league he's starting up. I just found this out yesterday and came out of the meeting a little shocked because all the coach had asked me 6 months ago was whether I could help him create a website for this new league and that he'd pay me. So I figured sure why not? Some freelance work would be a great way to further my still-developing skills and keep my mind busy. Never did I dream it would morph into something where I could potentially reap a paycheck with more than two or three zeros!

Of course, time will tell, but I think this could be a very successful venture. All the right pieces are slowly falling into place...

DammitJanet

Way cool, web design is very lucrative besides being fun. Do you use dreamweaver or something else. Dreamweaver may be out of date by now. That is what I was attempting to learn when I had meningitis in 2008 but I came home and simply didnt have the brain anymore. I used something else prior to that but it was much simpler and I just used a FTP to upload it. It was something through Microsoft Office Suite that I cannot remember now.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I am not a programmer. AT ALL. No I don't have Dreamweaver -- but the company I use has a very simple drag-and-drop method for building sites that look very professional if you have an eye for graphics and layout organization, etc. For the most part, it's free to use. If you want to use your own domain then you have to pay an upgrade fee, which is still pretty cheap. So that's what we're using since that's what I know how to do! Maybe some day I'll learn more about the different web editor packages.

Now I'm just trying to figure out online registration, payments, etc. so that it looks seamless and professional. All part of the learning process!

trinityroyal

Gcv, this sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Hope everything pans out!

There are some great tools out there for setting up web-based payments. Often, you can get the code directly from the payment processing company (Visa, M/C, Paypal or whoever). If I recall correctly, you can just cut and paste the code into your website at the appropriate location.

Feel free to PM me if you want further information.
Trinity

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you, Trinity! I did manage to figure out a good solution that looks very professional. Things are getting closer to going live. My "boss" had me secure a series of domain name registrations tonight. Seems there's another group in town with similar ideas to his and he wants to preempt any of their web efforts by locking the names we're using and that they might want to use. Now that that's done, it's just a matter of a week or two and our site should be ready to go live.

I think husband is not quite sure what to think of this. I think he's a little concerned about the time it's going to take from me, and therefore away from him. Is that jealousy? He made some remark about it and I reminded him that he was the one that thought I should go back to work. That shut him up. He should be happy because it's work I'm doing from home, and even though I won't see any money until after the first of the year, if this goes as planned, it will be very easy, very decent money for me considering it's part time work out of the house. I have to say it's a little disappointing he's not more excited about this with me.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Had another board meeting tonight... this thing is looking to be a lot bigger than I thought. Looks like I'm in charge of advertising/marketing/PR, which is right up my alley, as well as the website. We start registration in January, and if the numbers pan out like the boss thinks they can/will... we're looking at an easy six figures coming in. Don't know what percentage I can expect... Hopefully it's at least 1/3 of whatever's left after expenses and the head guy's cut. Might pay for a new kitchen! :bigsmile:

Oh, but mustn't count omlettes before the eggs are laid, right? I'm sure that's part of where husband's skepticism is coming from. He says he'll believe it when he sees it. I have confidence in this guy -- I've worked with him on the school team board for over 2 years now and I've seen how he works. Sure would be nice...