On gas & food prices....

witzend

I'm kind of hoping that husband's work will implement a four ten hour day work week. They're a power company. Last year they set the thermostats to 80 in the summer. Shouldn't be much of a problem this year, it hasn't gotten over 70 more than three times this year...

SRL

The earlier editions of The Tightwad Gazette are available from Amazon at low prices plus shipping. I used to use it all the time when we first went to one income--I should have never stopped when things eased up for us!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-5399244-8027321?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tightwad+gazette

One of the things I did get from the book and just pulled back out is a price book. In it I listed best prices for items I typically used so there would be no question about what price to stock up on. It takes awhile to set up but well worth the savings. My memory isn't what it used to be so I think this will be a help to get going. It was interesting to pull it out from using it 10 years ago to see how some prices had risen dramatically but others not so much.

The stores are all fairly close or on my regular routes for errands and appointments so I'm able to stop in often and make the most of sales. Meat prices have gone so high that stores are running great sales in order to bring people in so I'm constantly watching for the buy one/get one free or overstock deals. Being friendly with the butcher at one store helps also so when I bump into her I ask what's the best deal out there or what she's got on her menu tonight and she's helpful.

Surprisingly Kroger has been the best overall because they include markdowns in meats and produce instead of pitching it. I picked up an apple and grape tray with caramel dip at half price which brought it down to what I likely would have paid for the fruit.

I have a book I bought years ago called Clean and Green which has natural cleaning, laundry, etc. tips. For an everyday cleaning spray I like 2 cups hot water with 2 tsp Murphy's Oil Soap, 1 tsp borax and 1/4 tsp washing soda. For bathroom clean up I use a spray bottle with a little bleach. I still buy Ajax for the kitchen sink.

Sometimes coupons can make an eat-out or carry-in meal cheaper than making it from scratch, especially if it requires a wide variety of ingredients.

Where I need to personally do better is at not wasting food. Just yesterday I had to throw out some meat from the fridge that I didn't get to the freezer in time, thinking I'd get it cooked up. I'm getting a new fridge when the tax rebate comes to replace this energy drain/heat pumping 30+ year old one.

Naturally the cat is still getting premium food from Petco. He starts vomitting and dia. every time I try and switch foods. I've decided sticking with it is cheaper than vet bills and wasted bags and cans of foods.

I need to find a cheaper alternative to the shampoo we've been using from the salon. It works great but since the recent price increases even the salon employees cringe when they ring me up. difficult child has super thick hard to manage hair and this brand (Mastey) was the first thing I found that really worked for him. I'm particular about odors and my easy child teen has serious scalp (dandruff) issues.

F

flutterbee

When my mom owned her salon, many moons ago, the product she carried was Nexus. I think you can get it at the store now. AND Suave makes a lot of products that say "compare to Nexus XXX". Suave is so much cheaper and it's a good product. My difficult child has super, super thick hair, too, I liked the Suave Humectant shampoo and conditioner for her. She has recently switched to Aussie because easy child's friend uses it and she likes the way his hair looked. I don't notice a difference and the Suave was cheaper. Head and Shoulders has a really good line out, as does the Blue something or other...can't remember the name off the top of my head. And I think Herbal Essence has a product for dandruff that my stepfather uses.

I used to be a shampoo, conditioner, mousse, and hairspray snob. I only used certain brands and they were usually the more expensive ones. But, in trying to save money I've switched to Suave products myself and am very happy with the results. Right now I'm currently working my way through various products we tried with difficult child and she didn't like. I can't make myself let them go to waste. I got heavier products for her hair so I've found I have to use a clarifying shampoo more often while I'm finishing off one conditioner I got for her that she didn't like. But, since it was Suave clarifying shampoo that I got on sale for $.99, I can't complain.

easy child has dandruff and dry scalp issues and used Head and Shoulders. But, then suddenly it started to make his hair too greasy. This started last summer when he was at his dad's and easy child tracked me down at my friend's house to angst over it and try to find a solution. Cause they had no clue and the products there were giving him were making it worse. What works for him is to use the Head and Shoulders every other day or sometimes just 3 times per week and to use his other shampoo the rest of the time.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
We've used Second Hand bookstores for years. I've put a ban to new books in the house - time to start using the library.

Suave is a brand I started using after the tweedles were place with us. I could go to a high priced shampoo but I like the Suave & am pleased with it. I do , however, use Oil of Olay body wash.

As to store brands, we've found the Roundy's brands to be some of the best in comparison. Their peanut butter is pretty much the same as Skippy's. Their chips & snacks are good; we love their meats & produce.

I cannot do grocery shopping on an empty stomach; I always have a menu planned & printed. With the menu the groceries that need to be ordered or picked up. I have also put up an inventory of what's in the freezer & in my pantry. It helps me to use before I buy again.

DammitJanet

I have figured out that at least here, the grocery stores put hamburger meat on sale around 3 times a year for around 99 cents a pound...Memorial day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day. The big cookout days. Sometimes once a in a blue moon during the winter months you may find it on sale for 119 or 139...but not often. When its on its 99 cents sale, I try to stock up on at least 75 bucks worth. More if I can afford it.

KTMom91

My solar dryer is set up in the backyard and I won't use the dryer again till it's too cold for things to dry efficiently. We have a swamp cooler (no central air), which works pretty well unless it's over 100, and then we put ice in the cooler water, which helps. When I bake, it's a one day marathon, so I'm not turning the oven off and on. Now that school's out, I make one long trip out for things, or just stay home and do stuff. We do have dishTV, but since we don't go out very often, that's our primary source of entertainment. We eat a lot of pasta-based dinners.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
OK I need to talk to you girls more often, LOL, I spend way too much on Fast food and coffee to go. I am paying down my CC, but with S2BX away and our divorce still eminent I am afraid to pay it off and then be stuck paying 1/2 of his CC.

My parents are picky about meals and groceries. I use coupons whenever possible and shop for the Guinea pigs at the farmers market or produce mark down bin (they're costly lil critters)

We have some awesome thrift stores around us, one is set up like a department store, I got difficult child II new roller blades there for $10, they sell for about $50, they were barely used!

SRL

I stock up on dvds when a local pawn shop runs a sale at 3 for $10. VHS are 50 cents so if it's something I'm just wanting to watch once I'll go that route since we still have working VCR's in the house.

Those we no longer want I return and sell back, usually for half of what they're selling them for.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
a garage sale is also a good way to bring in some extra cash, as well as double checking unwanted stuff on ebay to see what it is sellgin for. difficult child II had a kids star wars chapter book one, I looked it up and was shocked to see it was a hot item and people were paying up to $50 bucks for a book we payed $3.99 for at a book fair!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I love this group of thrifties! Another thread to save & print out for further reference. Thanks for the ideas, ladies.