On the fence about tomorrow

tiredmommy

Duckie is doing Girl Scout day camp this week and tomorrow is the day the older girls get to stay overnight. The problem? We have an extreme heat advisory and Duckie is an asthmatic.

It's been hot all week and the staff has been doing a great job of keeping the girls cool by cycling units in and out of the air conditioned lodge and having water play. But I'm still concerned about the overnight. I'd hate to take this away from her so I've settled on requesting the camp nurse to monitor her peak flow in the afternoon. She won't be able to stay over if it falls too low and she'll need to stay in the lodge until I can pick her up.

Does this seem reasonable?

Mattsmom277

Sounds reasonable to me. I think provided you have a good talk with supervisors that will be there about how to handle various scenarios you are probably safe to let her go. I think if the supervisors are prepared and Duckie is aware of the limits that may be put in place, you all can probably come up with solutions if it gets too much or risky for her? I bet she'll have fun even if she has to sit out some activities and go indoors etc. Is Duckie capable of not giving staff a hard time if they determine she needs a break even if it means interupting her fun? If so, I am sure it will be fine. Hope she has fun!!! This heat is brutal.

Andy

I would think the extreme heat would be cause enough for those staying overnight to camp out inside the lodge. Talk to the nurse about heat policies. I wouldn't think Girl Scouts would want to push the limits on having the kids outside for overnight.

H

HaoZi

Kiddo did those scout camps a few times. One year we had a vicious thunderstorm and flood warnings where they were. The entire camp moved to a nearby (hilltop) church until it was safe the next day. Most generally have some contingency plan, if the lodge is big enough they would do better to move it indoors. As a parent expressing your concern for not just Duckie's health but for all the girls would be expected.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds reasonable to me. If she has an attack the sleep over part isn't going to be any fun for her anyway.

Andy

You are very wise to take this very seriously. I have been asked to help serve at a funeral this Friday for a 31 year old whose cause of death was a combination of heat exhaustion and diabeties (per person who called to ask for my help).

I find that many people are not prepared for such extreme heat because it does not happen very often in certain places. When it does, it is over after a few weeks at the most and we tend to forget about its effects until the next year when it may come up again. I think we all have the tendency to think, "It is Summer - it is suppose to be hot" and thus we may push it a little too far. I was very upset one year when Diva was at a YMCA day program and found out they took the kids outside during a heat warning when the public was advised NOT to go outdoors. College kids were running the show and it had been years since we had a day that hot. They were following their schedule and no one bothered to give them guidelines. They didn't have the experience to think to ask about this. I am sure many adults don't think about the heat warnings either.

I would ask what the plan is. Ask for a specific number (don't settle on "If it is too hot for the girls..."). You need to know what temp and most importantly what heat index number will be used to move the activities indoors. AND, ask WHO will be monitoring this information - get a specific name and number so YOU can call that person if there is any need for reassurance throughout the camping time. After all, these day camps are not meant for endurance - you want the girls to have fond memories of them and feel their safety was always thought of.

If there is a plan, great!! If not, you have put a bug in their ear that they may want to keep an eye on this.

tiredmommy

Thanks ladies. I hate to feel like I'm always the parent that's overreacting, Know what I mean?? And Andy... we live in one of those areas that's ill-prepared for this sort of weather. As an example, my neighbor lives in a small two story home with no ac: there are four adults, one child and a dog. The summer heat doesn't normally bother them. We use a large window unit and a portable unit at our house, upgraded from two smaller units within the last year. We had the old ones in the garage and my neighbor gladly installed them today... she had tried to get a unit or two but stores are sold out. Everyone is scrambling for units. :(

Back to camp: This morning at drop-off, Duckie mentioned to her counsellor that there was an extreme heat advisory for tomorrow and the counsellor said "I better talk to the director, we may need to change our programming.". She was talking to the girls about the importance of drinking lots of water, using sunscreen and wearing light-colored clothing as I left.

KTMom91

Air quality is a big thing here; the schools will cancel recess and/or sports practice if the air is bad.

DDD

I think you're making a wise choice. In my experience the cabin counselors are often teens who may inadvertently overlook an unexpected problem. Having her monitored by a qualified adult makes more sense. DDD

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. The program director said the plan is to cycle the kids indoors for crafts, badge work, etc. The exception is the Thursday cookout and tie dye... counsellor will cook so kids aren't near the fire, they'll eat inside. Kids will be cycled outside primarily for water play. The nurse will check Duckie's peak flow and call me if it has fallen below our predetermined number. I go out at 7PM for the parent program and will eyeball her myself then.

DammitJanet

I simply cannot imagine not having ac. I do remember it though. This horrible heat this summer is why I got Cory the larger room ac for his little place. Its also why I replaced my central unit this year. The heat is just awful now.

tiredmommy

Janet, I can't imagine being without either. The nurse just called, Duckie's numbers have fallen some, but Duckie's still well above our predetermined number. She's got their unit inside for a while and has personally watched Duckie refill her water bottle and drink it. Duckie was having a blast with the other girls in the cool of the lodge when we hung up. :)

witzend

TM, I think this is more than reasonable. It gives Duckie some freedom in a controlled circumstance. I hope she had a good time?

tiredmommy

Well... we brought her home after the parent program. She was fine until after dinner with the humidity really skyrocketed. Her counsellor said she could see Duckie just start to droop, even Duckie knew she shouldn't stay over. I checked her peak flow and she had dropped 70 points since this morning. She's asleep in my room right now, with the ac keeping her cool as a cucumber.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Duckie sounds like my Mom....

When asked if my Mom liked camping? She replied "Listen...MY IDEA of roughing it...is NOT having room service at the Drake Hotel in NYC." (I used the Drake because of Duckie) lol. But Mom really did say that.

Hugs to a wise Mommy and her duckling.