Once again, I resolve to lose weight

JJJ

anyone else with me??

I have about 100 lbs to lose. My first goal is to lose 10 lbs and then I'm going to treat myself to a facial!! There is a new beauty school that just opened by our house and facials are only $20!!

<s>If </s> when I lose all 100 lbs, I'm going to spend 3 days at a spa with my mom and sisters! I'm going to save all the money I would have otherwise spent on junk food and Starbucks in order to pay for it!

M

ML

I am with you! I am at an all time high. I need to lose about 25 pounds. I'm only 5 1". Menopause hit in full force this year, I've been through a year of stress eating and I find myself not fitting into any of my clothes. I think it would be cool to start a subgroup of us that want to lose weight. We can share recipies, workout ideas, etc. Just a thought. I know that I could use support on this.

On that note, I wanted to share a health food drink that my friend uses who is battling cancer. It's called a green drink. It's sort of like a vegetable smoothie. I tried it and it's not bad. It tastes like a blended salad. Here goes:

1 cucumber
2 tomatoes
1 jalapeno -- remove seeds and remember to wash hands :smile:
half container of sprouts (I prefer the taste of alfalfa)
avacado
juice of one lemon
1 bell pepper
tablespoon of cold pressed olive oil
green powder if you want (from health food store).
3/4 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp of sea salt

You blend it with about 3 cups of water.

It's not bad and it's a quick way to get in your veggies. And it's filling and lasts about three days in the fridge.

jannie

trying to survive....
I need to diet so badly...I'm just all talk and no action. My therapist used to say....that I spent hours and hours focused on difficult child needs...instead if I just spent 10-15% of that time planning meals and focusing on myself and my eating, I would totally lose weight. The therapist also thought that I should take prozac...that perhaps I'm depressed and my symptoms of depression are manifested with stress eating...that perhaps if I took medicine..I'd feel better about myself and eat less...

Yes !! I'd like to stay on a diet...I just don't know if I havet he willpower. Every time a start a diet...I quit it...

JJJ-I love how you've set up mini goals..

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay JJJ

I'm in - I've been walking and watching what I eat but I have Metabolic Syndrome, and PCOS - pre diabetic so it's VERY hard to loose anything. But I am on the loose 100 club if you are.

Set something up so we can check in like once every week or 2 - and I'll play. I'm going to have DF take my picture too. I am really going for it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wishing everyone all the best with their weight loss. I did lose 10 pounds last year and would love to lose 10 more although I'm not sure that is possible for me at this point.

I too love WW (lost 70 pounds in 9 months and kept off 50 of it now for 10 years) and I work for them very part time.

I too believe there are many other ways to lose-it's just what worked for me.

JJJ-I like that you are breaking it down into small increments and then rewarding yourself!!

ck1

Uugghh! I am definitely with you, I need to lose 30 lbs!!! My biggest problem is that I just can't seem to get motivated again.

Last Spring I finally did get motivated (after complaining for two years). I started going to WW and Curves (which I'm still paying for but not using). I followed WW very closely and went to Curves about four times per week. I only lost six pounds in 12 weeks and was very discouraged. Then chaos with difficult child and I just quit trying.

I finally went to the doctor and found out that I have a thyroid problem. I'm taking Synthroid but I don't think I'm on the right dose yet. I need to get motivated again, so count me in!!! I need to stop complaining and just do something about it!

Time to just say it, and I may as well say it to a bunch of people who are never gonna see me. JJJ, Star, you each have 100 to lose? Well I have 200. Yup, there it is in black & white in front of my face.

Last year I had a consultation for lapband surgery, was told to try and lose a little weight on my own and come back in 3 months. I never made it back because that is when I got sick. I had to indefinitely postpone that and a hysterectomy because I could not get my breathing under control.

My breathing is now controlled enough that I have an appointment with the gastro doctor in a couple weeks again. But I'm a good 50 lbs heavier than I was last year because I quit smoking.

So. I'm on a mission as well. If I can prove to him that I can stick to a healthy regimen, I'm on my way to lapband surgery...

trinityroyal

Count me in too, and I have a wonderful book recommendation for those of you who haven't yet selected a get-fit/eat-healthy program. It's called the G.I. Diet Clinic.

In summary, the G. I. (Glycemic Index) diet breaks down foods by how drastically they affect your blood sugar. It's a good program for anyone with (or on the path to) Type 2 diabetes.

It's by the same person who developed and wrote the original G.I. diet in 2002. This is the follow-up book.

(The book is on my night table upstairs. I will post again with the full title, author and other details).

Incidentally, this ties in nicely with a post that WFEN started several weeks ago about exercise. I think that the two go very well together.

Best of luck everyone. I will post the book details soon.

Trinity

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
If you have room for one more, then count me in. I need to lose 40 to 45 pounds. I am a WW girl, so I pulled all my books out and dusted off the treadmill.

It is time to take care of ourselves, so we can deal with the stresses of difficult children and just everyday issues.

Just give me the details and I will be there. As for a picture of me (UGGGGGH). But, I can have my youngest take one of me and post it.

SRL

I'm in. I've been needing this for about 5 years and never follow through. A few weeks ago I popped off a blood pressure reading of 155/98 which sealed my fate--not the first time it had been on the high side but never this high. This weight MUST go.

LittleDudesMom

I'm with your guys. easy child and I are joining WW next week and will attend meetings weekly on Tuesday evenings. We had to find a day when she was not working.

I did WW years ago and had success. Let's definately give some thought to how we can support each. Sounds like many of us are in for the long haul.

Sharon

Did anyone see Good Morning America this morning? Prevention magazine has a program out now which is supposed to target belly fat.

You can check it out on the Good Morning America site.

Barbara

M

ML

If it's not against board rules, why don't we have a weekly "weigh in" here? We can talk about our successes and challenges as well as sharing of ideas that have helped. My first step is to start walking at lunchtime. I will check out the ww and GI books too and decide if I want structure on the diet part. I may just start making better choices at each meal but if that doesn't work, I may dive into the diet world. I remember from years ago (dating myself) that Richard Simmons changed the word diet to liveit. I like that. Hugs.

JJJ

Wow! This is great! Let's do weekly weigh-ins on Mondays. Each of us can post our progress however we choose - one good thing we did each week and one thing we need a little extra support on.

My example:

Need to Lose: 100 lbs
Healthy Choice: Ate more fiber
Need Help: Finding time to cook from scratch instead of fast food

trinityroyal

I'm so happy to see everyone so enthusiastic about this. JJJ I like your idea of a weekly progress check.

I find weighing myself causes me huge anxiety, because it's just not good for me to know, regardless of whether the news is good or bad. I tend to track inches rather than pounds, and for me that works.

Also, as promised, here is the information on the G.I. Diet book:

The G.I. Diet Clinic
Rick Gallop's Week-by-Week Guide to Permanent Weight Loss
ISBN 978-0-679-31439-4

All the best, everyone

Trinity

DammitJanet

I just saw a show this morning on resolutions on Dr Phil. Weight was one of them. He said he would have tips on his message board. He does have his book out which many people have had success with.

He does advocate that it isnt a diet but a lifestyle change. I know this is true. That is the hardest part. It also has nothing to do with willpower. That is why its changing your lifestyle.

trinityroyal

Dr. Phil's book is based around the G.I. diet, which is the book reference I provided. Rick Gallop is the University of Toronto professor who developed the program.

Apparently the South Beach diet and several of the other popular eating plans are also based on the G.I principles, so I figured why not cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

My husband (who has about 150 lbs still to lose, after losing 60 lbs these past few months) and I met with our doctor to discuss the best and healthiest weight management programs, and this was the one he recommended. He said that it has a high success rate, and puts less stress on your body than some of the more drastic diet programs.

The thing I like best about the GI program is that it's something the whole family can do. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but my overall health has slipped badly in the last few years and I want to get it back to optimum levels. Since I've been eating the recommended foods (started just before Christmas) I feel so much better, and seem to have more energy. It also makes cooking much easier, as I can just prepare one meal for everyone, and not have to make a separate meal for husband.

I like the week-by-week format of the program too. It makes things so much easier to measure progress in small steps and make gradual changes.

jbrain

Hi,
I would like to join in--I don't have much weight to lose but do need to lose at least 5 lbs and 10 would be fantastic if possible. I walk a couple of miles on workdays going to and from the parking lot (husband and I drive together and could take a bus rather than walk but we like to get the exercise) and I do watch what I eat fairly well but since hitting menopause a few years ago it is so hard not to put on weight and also to lose it even if it is just a few pounds. I put on about 10 lbs just from going through menopause, what a drag. I also do weight workouts but am very sporadic about it lately.

So, I am looking forward to this--hoping this will motivate me to do better in 2008. I like the idea of a Monday weigh-in too!

Thanks,
Jane

Star*

call 911........call 911
Trinity -
I'm going to try that book -

Okay here's the skinny - (not)

I'm 5'8"
I weigh (I think) about 240lbs

Target weight: 150

OH - I already lost 10 of the 100 - snort - I need to loose 90

Any have a Turbo 90 tape they can copy for me?