Once again

Wiped Out

Staff member
we will be admitting difficult child to the psychiatric hospital. He is at respite this weekend and I received a call from the hospital saying they will have an opening on Monday.

Our psychiatrist has one more medication (don't know what it is yet) that he wants to try with difficult child but he wants to do it in the hospital. If the new medication doesn't help I believe psychiatrist will be suggesting a residential stay somewhere. In fact, he was leaning towards that and then decided he really wants to try this medication first.

difficult child is going to be so not happy to be going in to the psychiatric hospital again. I know it is probably the right thing to do but I do feel sorry for him. At home, at times, we see him really trying-right now he just doesn't have any impulse control and it is causing especially big problems at school.

We always tell him it isn't a punishment and that he needs the support but I think he looks at it like a punishment no matter what we do to convince him otherwise.

slsh

member since 1999
Sharon - I'm so sorry. I just don't know what to say.... it's heartbreaking when they view admissions as punishment, because it really isn't. For a long time, it was the only cause and effect thing thank you got - lose control (intentionally or not) and get admitted... so, I understand why he saw it as a punishment. Sigh...

Will keep my fingers that doctor's new medication will help difficult child rein in those impulses.

How are you and husband holding up?

JJJ

Kanga often saw it as a punishment too. She would usually go willingly enough because she was "sick of us" but after a few days she'd want out.

I hope the new medication works. (((Hugs)))

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry. It is especially hard when you know they are trying. I hope the new medication helps.
Will he fight you or try to run when you tell him or take him to the psychiatric hospital? We were so afraid of that the first time we took Wiz. Do what you need to so that everyone is safe.

(((((hugs)))))

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sue-husband and I are o.k.-we're kind of just putting one foot in front of the other and really praying this new medication will help.

JJJ-Thanks for the good thoughts and hugs.

Susie-Hard to say how he'll react-probably he'll be o.k. after the initial anger which I really think is more sadness.

CM-Thanks.

M

ML

Sharon I'm so sorry. My prayers will include you all in the coming days. I'm going to hold on to the hope that this medication makes enough of a difference to change the current reality. This is so heartbreaking. Love and hugs.

DammitJanet

Im so sorry Sharon. This has been such a difficult time for your whole family lately. I hope either something gives you that "wow" effect or they decide on residential so maybe that can help. You definitely need the help. Thinking of all of you.

Wiped Out

Staff member
ML and Jal-Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts.

Janet-The "WOW" effect would be good.

He's home from respite and had a great weekend. Since he has been home he has done nothing but sleep (about 2 hours). They (the respite foster parents) said the was good the entire weekend. While I'm glad he was good it is so puzzling-why does he do so well while he is there? I know it can be because it is a short weekend and there are kids there for him to play with but it is so hard to understand and makes me question whether he needs this hospitalization or not. However, I know they are experiencing so much with him at school right now and we have seen lots too (not as much as school) Sigh...

X

xlagirl

I'm so sorry to hear that your difficult child is going to have to go back in to the psychiatric hospital.
Mine is in there right now, but this is his first time....as you know. I have so many emotions going through me right now, I'm sure that you feel the same way about your son.

Let us know how he does, and stay strong!

xlagirl