One more medical issue to worry about with difficult child 1...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I received copies of all his radiological exams and reports from the hospital yesterday... they go all the way back to 2006. All I really wanted was the ones from last month so I'd have a keepsake picture of his self-inflicted/inserted bladder UFO (unidentified foreign object).

So as I'm reading the latest report for the CT scan they took, I learn that he shows signs of demineralization of both his femoral heads. :nonono: The radiologist apparently discussed this with his GI and they concluded it's due to his history of Crohn's. I realize it's not an emergency, but it's certainly something I'm going to have to follow up next week once the dust settles from tomorrow's procedure.

He had a bone density and bone age test done in 2006, and he did show moderate osteopenia in his L2 and L4 vertebrae at the time. Time to get very serious about the calcium supplements and figure out how and when to re-evaluate the bone density.

I sure don't want him to have to worry about breaking a hip at this age!

tiredmommy

I hope this doesn't end up keeping him from playing lacrosse. That may be a pretty powerful carrot to dangle in front of him.

T

TeDo

I am glad you saw this now rather than later AFTER something terrible happens. I will be thinking of you and praying things look up soon.

:Grouphug:

susiestar

Roll With It
He is lucky enough to be young when it is discovered, because he has time to help his bones repair if he pays attention to his calcium and Vit D. Look for the amt of elemental calcium, which is the amt your body can use, rather than just the amt of calcium. THis is why so many of the supplements offer so many times the RDA. One article said that 500 mg of calcium carbonate (in tums and many supplements) has just 200 mg of elemental calcium. Make sure the source is not oyster shells, bone meal, etc.... They are common but they often have high lead levels and they are not tested for lead. Calcium citrate doesn't need extra stomach acid so it can be taken at any time, while calcium carbonate needs the extra acid to break it down so it is recommended to be taken after a meal. Coral calcium is just calcium carbonate and the various other health claims are a scam according the the sources i have seen. OsCal is calcium carbonate from oyster shells but is lead tested. Other sources (such as generics) are not always tested so if you chose that it is best to pay extra for the brand name (according to the endocrinologist I see for Vit D and osteoporosis issues).

I would NOT include a magnesium supplement at first unless the docs recommend it, and then start with the lowest amt possible. It can cause real problems with diarrhea and I doubt it would be helpful for your difficult child.

Jessie gets really upset stomachs from calcium tablets, so we get the chewable ones for her. They still cause some nausea but she doesn't actually get sick.

I am glad you took the time to go through the records. It is often a shock to read the reports after a doctor tells you that things are "normal" or "fine" because they often don't tell you about things. This is how I found the Vit D deficiency and learned that I had it for at least 2 decades before any doctor mentioned it. I went through old lab results and it was tested almost yearly and was always way way way low (highest level was 8)and the very lowest they should be is 20 - and many sources say even that is way too low. it is no wonder my bones are falling apart, Know what I mean??

Anyway, I thought this might help you get the right kinds of calcium to help him the best. I hope that they have a good reason for WHY they didn't feel you and difficult child needed to know this. I woudl think that it would be a concern, esp as he plays lacrosse!

Josie

I'm guessing he has been tested for celiac disease in the past, with all of his IBS problems. If he hasn't or it has been a while, it might be a good idea to check for that. Celiac disease can cause loss of bone density and a girlfriend diet can improve it.

Not that you need yet another diagnosis for him and it probably won't be easy to get him on the girlfriend diet if he has it.

Sending good thoughts for today's procedure.

M

ML

Oh man, I'm sorry. It's very good to have caught it early. Susie's post was very helpful. I too have osepenia and needed to read that as well. Hugs,

gcvmom

Here we go again!
TM, me too.
TeDo, thank you.
Susie, thank you for all that great info. I'll be calling the GI on Monday and will talk about those options.
Thanks, Jena.
HaoZi, he used to take those when he was first diagnosis'd with Crohn's because they were a lot tastier than those giant calcium horse pills!
Hope, he does not have celiac, but he was on steroids for several months after he was first diagnosis'd with Crohns (which can weaken bones), and it's believed the Crohn's was silently doing damage in his small bowel (and causing malabsorption along with weight loss) for about 5 or 6 years before we discovered it.
ML, thank you.

I'll post an update later today!