One of my dogs

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't have a dog, but I would think not, especially if this is a new thing. She could have something obstructing her nasal passage -- a growth maybe? Will your vet answer questions over the phone? (Some won't).

mstang67chic

Going Green
Is she sleeping in a different spot or position? That can do it too. But...checking with the vet isn't a bad idea. Does she seem to have a cold or anything?

klmno

Well, I'm a little confused about dogs getting colds. I think they can catch about anything that a human can. But then, I don't think they have nasal problems like people do (ie- sniffles, nasal congestion). At least, I always thought that if a dog had nasal discharge, it was an emergency, not sniffles like a person, unless it was just a little clear liquid. She has had a little clear liquid, so maybe that means she has a cold. The snoring has been going on about 10-14 days, even when she's sleeping on her tummy, flat out like dogs normally lay.

She's acting fine, except I think she's going through menopause, like the other female in this house ( :D ). So, I think her belly is hurting a little occasionally. She's eating, drinking, and pottying fine. I'm just not used to hearing her snore like this. Both of the dogs may have a slight snoring when they are really sleeping deeply, but she's snoring louder almost every time she naps.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My lab snored terribly for his entire life (long). Our St Bernard way back when did, too. My little dogs never seem to, tho.

Neither of my doggie reference books mention snoring as a problem, tho if its new, I'd probably at least call the vet and ask.

donna723

What kind of dog is it? That makes a lot of difference. If she's always been a snorer and it's suddenly a lot different than it was, or if the snoring just started, you might want to have the vet check her. There could be some kind of obstruction.

I have two Bostons and they are notorious snorers, like most other smooshy-faced dogs -they also snort, grunt, snuffle, fart and belch! Lovely little creatures! Ragan doesn't snore much at all, mostly it's only if she sleeps with her chin propped up on something. But Katy rattles the glass in the windows! Ragan's muzzle is slightly longer than Katy's. Katy's nose is almost just a dent in her face! And her nostrils are smaller than Ragans. Ragans are rounded and open and Katy's are more closed, little slits in her nose. Katy's heart is slightly enlarged which has narrowed her trachea - it can cause the breathing problem, the snorting and the snoring. She has to breathe through her mouth. There's surgery they can do to open the nostrils up more but I don't want to put her through that. It's probably nothing, but you might want to have the vet check her just in case there's something going on with her heart.

And I don't think dogs go through 'the change' like people do - that's where the term 'lucky dog' came from!

klmno

Ok, i'll call the vet today. Oh- she is a lhasa apso.

And I don't think dogs go through 'the change' like people do

That doesn't mean the signs lasts throughout her life does it? (My previous females were spade.) I thought she might be going through the change because any time before when she was in heat, our male dog (who is neutered) still noticed that she was in heat and followed his instincts- he reacted to it pretty strongly. This time, she only appeared to be in heat a few days, the male dog didn't even seem to notice at all, and she has been a little droopy and wanting her belly rubbed, even more than usual.

donna723

I would think that snoring in a lhasa apso would be perfectly normal, but if it's just started suddenly or just got a lot worse, I'd have it checked. I haven't had a female dog that wasn't spayed since I was a kid ... they may eventually stop coming in to heat when they're very old, but it's gradual. But I don't think they go through a real 'menopause' like people do.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I just read an article somewhere or saw a tv show that said it is NOT normal for dogs to snore. My big dog does and sometimes to rival DF. I figured Pootie may because her little undershot jaw doesn't give her much of a mouth and occasionallys she does.

I DO KNOW that if the nasal passages get dried out it can cause additional snoring - so you may want to find a humidifier. Lhasa's and Shih-Tzu's have those shorter, tiny noses but all the years we had them -we only had one snorererereerere..

I would consult a vet -