One of the nice side effects of having colon issues ...

TerryJ2

is that I've temporarily (maybe forever) given up wheat, and I've lost 5 lbs. ! I've been wanting to lose this tummy for yrs now, you know the little smooshy poof of gut you get after you have a baby, so you can't wear the type of jeans that young kids wear? (Muffin top?) At least, not with-o a blousy top. Well, it's 75% gone and I haven't done any situps.
Still waiting for blood test results and stool sample results. The nurse told me to freeze the samples and actually, only one was supposed to have been frozen. That cost me 4 days. :kickme:
I haven't had any huge accidents but I'm still not "normal.":sigh:
I've been off of wheat, onions, fresh fruit, dried fruit, milk, butter etc. and nuts for two wks now. Just re-introduced a cookie and also almonds today. I'll find out in the a.m. ...
Thank you all for the info.

DDD

Why did you give up wheat? I'm trying to get educated about dietary choices since the colon surgery but I switched to whole grain breads based on some reading. Now I'm curious. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm more than a bit "iffy" on this whole gluten free business. Humans have been eating grains for thousands of years. But then I'm also more than a bit iffy on many of the other diet restraints for certain illnesses too.......like the whole cholesterol business. I agreed to follow my renal diet to a certain extent only after a very long discussion of the logic behind it as much chemistry wise as other things. But I am not strict about it because the body still requires a certain amount of animal protein as well to get other nutrients we need. The way I'm doing it is working so far.....for me at least.

I worry the medical community tries to focus on diet to make us feel we're taking an active role, instead of it actually "helping", when they themselves are not quite sure of "cause" and treatment. So for me? I look for cause and effect. If a certain food increases my symptoms......I may stop eating it or look at preparing it differently. That may be permanent or temporary, depending. This is both for the kidney and the IBS. Because to be frank if I followed both diets I'd starve to death.......literally. What I'm supposed to eat on one, I'm not "allowed" to eat on the other. So there ya go. This is not even including what I shouldn't be eating for the heart either.......which I ignore completely.

I'm leaning more toward what are they doing to our food, than anything else. Because when you research it.....it is more than a bit disturbing. It's not just the processing, it's in the growing / raising. When I eat food out of my garden, either fresh or home canned, I not only notice a difference in taste but in my symptoms and how it makes me feel. My produce is not bathed in chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and heaven knows what to make it look attractive and stay "fresh" in the store. My own canned goods aren't loaded with that stuff (or lord knows how many insect parts) and I can control the amount of salt added. I'm learning to make most of the things I used to buy processed from canned goods to noodles. I don't have room to grow my own wheat (and wouldn't have a clue about doing so) but I can buy organic wheat in bulk, grind it myself, and use it instead. Cheaper, healthier....and yes, I notice a difference...it's not as aggravating to my system.

Organic is expensive normally unless done this way. Meat especially. But we do have Amish locally and I can at least get my chicken that way........and I have a local market that buys local meat. The taste is dramatically different, and I feel better. :)

Grandson Brandon with the horrific bowel issues has become drastically more normal eating a more organic diet and for the first time ever can enjoy the fresh fruits he loves so much. This was a side effect we weren't really expecting but still a good one.

And ya know what? Since I started eating this way............well, maybe that is why I'm losing the weight?? My "muffin top" is also disappearing.

TerryJ2

Hound Dog, not everyone has issues with-wheat/gluten. The largest group with-issues have Irish heritage. Just for fun, I had my Dad's DNA done through Nat'l Geo a few yrs back ($99 for the Human Genome Project) and his was part of the largest collection data base they had! Irish all the way. Which he had told us for many yrs,.

The theory is that we humans started agriculture and farming what, 5,000 yrs ago? Which is the blink of an eye compared to our entire history. And our bodies just couldn't hack it. Add to that, the genetic rearranging companies are doing to the grains, and it turns into something that we just cannot digest.

I also have serious issues with-milk.

Ironically, most of this comes from my mom, who has a solid German/Polish/Russian background (I found out I share DNA with-women in Saudi Arabia!) and they seem to have no issues with-grain. Go figure.

TerryJ2

P.S. So much for the weight loss. I found out that a nice, big sushi meal can add back a couple of pounds. Still, it didn't go to my gut. Just showed up on the scale.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Terry, that does make sense.

Native Americans do not do well on the "European" diet which is starchy. We've had even less time for our bodies to adjust to the change. It's why we have a higher rate of diabetes per population. Heck, we have a higher rate of metabolic disorders in general per population. In my family alone we have the renal disease, which is metabolic based, diabetes, and both hyper / hypo thyroidism (which having both is rare). Tells you how much trouble we've had adjusting.

I am not a bread person. I'm not much of a "starch" person. I'm a meat person. (which created conflict with that renal diet lol ) I'm not even a big "sweets" person. Although it seems that many native people I know have a really really bad sweet tooth......and that does not help. In going organic......I sort of drifted back to some extent to more the way my ancestors ate. Not all of the same foods, but quite a bit. If I could afford to buy buffalo, I'd stop eating beef completely........because to me that is heaven on earth and it's a naturally lean meat.

Only thing I'm "bad" about is my pork. I'm a pork lover and I admit it. Now where that comes from I dunno, other than I was raised on it. My mother's side is German and Irish, documented as they didn't arrive here until the turn of the 20th century. My grandmother was a first born native citizen.

Interesting about the Irish having issues with wheat. I wouldn't have thought that.......hmm.

BusynMember

Just to add to this: I do think what you eat contributes to your errrrr natural issues, depending on what is wrong. I have gastric reflux. Actually, wheat products t hat are whole grain and extremely healthy for me, but fatty foods and high sugar makes me sicker than a dog. If I could just cut out all sweets, I wouldn't have gastric reflux anymore. Oh, and caffeine (sooooooo hard since I love my coffee). But the few times I've done it, I have noticed that symptoms of reflux have disappeared. I think some people are just sensitive to certain foods.

InsaneCdn

I'm more than a bit "iffy" on this whole gluten free business. Humans have been eating grains for thousands of years.
Lisa...

"Grains" - and especially wheat and corn - have changed so much in the last 60-80 years that... what you are eating isn't your grandmother's grain.

Wheat in particular has moved from a simple grain, to a very complex grain.

There are people out there who can eat all the heritage wheat they want... but NO "modern wheat".

From a logic perspective? I'm with you on the fact that we've eating grain for a fairly long time, and not had major problems... until after WWII... which just happens to be when major hybridization efforts kicked off.

Nancy

Terry this is interesting to me. I have had intestinal issues for years and so has my easy child. I always thought I was lactose intollerant because I too have serious issues with milk, ice cream, some cheeses, shellfish which is high in lactose. But I also have issues with some pasta and breads and pork, fish and any number of things that don't fit the lactose thing. I also have issues with lactaid milk.

I had a colonoscopy three years ago and all was well except for some inflammation which he thought was irritable bowel. My easy child has been tested for milk and lactose alergy and it is negative. But what we did learn is that many people have an insensitivity to certain foods that does not show up as an allergy or on any of the standard tests and that must be what we have.

I have just gone through about two weeks of detoxing everytime I eat, not by choice. So I'm in the process of trying to eat nothing but bland food until I can start adding things and get back to my normal.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I knew some types of sensitives were linked to heritage. Storm and I have no sensitives to wheat (we're part Native American), seem to do better on whole grains, in fact. I do worry that today's wheat might be GMO like everything else, though. She's not really a cereal eater (though I can be), so I don't worry too much about GMO corn other than corn syrup in EVERYTHING, and she drinks organic milk (I figure it's too late for me so I get the cheap milk for me). I worry about GMO everything these days, wish they were labeled (she likes the vegetarian version of bacon and corndogs, so likely GMO soy products there), but it's hard to find organic here and simply too expensive to boot for everything but her milk.

Lothlorien

I agree with the theory that how we are growing and raising our food is contributing to our health. I think it is also the root of many of our mental health issues as well.

TerryJ2

Nancy, good idea and good luck. I hear you!

I think I may have to go back to square one. I am not making much progress. I know that fresh fruits make my gut go crazy, but everything is still relatively the same as it was last month. I was so happy because I was down to one anti diarrheal medication every other day, but now I'm taking them daily again.

I have an appointment with-the gastroenterologist on Friday a.m. Finally! I kept checking online to see if they posted my test results but they never did and I guess they never will. Oh well. You can set up the patient portal but that doesn't mean the offices will use it.

I hate not knowing and I hate being like this. It's so depressing. And limiting.