One week of camp down, one to go!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The camp director called this afternoon to give me an update on difficult child 2 -- thank goodness I didn't have to go collect him early like I did at the beginning of the week!

She is VERY understanding and sympathetic. She used to work in Special Education., and as soon as she told me that, I took the opportunity to tell her the gist of what's going on with him, the medications, etc. She confirmed that after lunch he starts acting like medications are wearing off and that mornings are usually great, he makes eye contact and is very cooperative. So I'm glad it's not just my imagination ;)

She said he did get a couple of time-outs, but they really want him to be able to stay for the duration of the day. Although he missed the water balloon fights, he got to spend the last few hours playing in the mud pit and water slide, so it ended on a good note.

She also acknowledged the girl in his fort that is causing a lot of problems for him (the kids already told me she said she has ADHD and takes medications, but from what I've seen, they're either not enough or not the right type). So it's good to know that THEY know what's really going on. For once, I feel like someone's on my side and not looking at me like his behavior is due to faulty parenting!

klmno

Ok, so there's a little progress!! I know you're walking a tightrope right now, but this sounds like it will be a constructive experience for difficult child in the long run. I never understood it, but my difficult child has little tolerance for other hyper kids. Trust me- he has no room to complain- but I have to say, it does help him to recognize his own behaviors after he has spent some time around "some annoying kid who won't quit (plug in talking, moving, distracting, touching, etc. here)".

Summer is almost over- hang in there!!