One year clean tomorrow

KFld

>Congratulations!! I am so so proud of him. I havent read much about how he is doing in his new place with his new girlfriend, hows it goin?

You must be so proud.

Grace
Grace, it's going well for him, but not to sure for her. I tried to tell them that they hadn't really been together long enough to move in together and that she is very young. She is only 18, but they gave it a shot knowing that he can afford it on his own if he has too.

The funny thing is he's trying to teach her everything he has learned over the passed few years as far as beging responsible for yourself and what you need to do to get there. Right now she only works part time at the hobby shop that they both work at and the plan was for her to get a full time job around here as soon as they moved. Well I guess she's not putting much effort into doing that and gets a little angry at difficult child for pushing her. He is actually taking on another part time job next month so he'll be working full time, plus part time in two different jobs so he can make sure the bills get paid and he can start saving some money. I really thought she would jump right into looking for something so they could both share the expenses. I'm hoping she wasn't just looking for someone to take care of her because the family she was living with is moving, but time will tell. She seems to genuinley love him, so maybe it's just that she's young and doesn't understand the importance of hard work and paying bills yet. I know 2 years ago difficult child didn't have a clue.

I guess she gets mad when he tries to tell her how to do things and he said to me, "it took me a long time mom to start listening to what other people were telling me, I thought I had all the answers all the time and once I realized I didn't and started listening, look how far I have come now".

He said if she doesn't want to start putting in her share of the work and rent that it will take to keep this apartment, he has an old roommate at the soberhouse who has remained clean and would move in with him in a minute.

I hope she doesn't break his heart, but from the way he sounds when he's talking to me, he sounds stressed about it, but I don't hear that desperation in his voice that I heard when he was having problems with wingnut.

Time will tell!!!

Ephchap

Karen,

I'm teary eyed reading this. OMG. A year?!? That is soooooo awesome! Huge congrats to difficult child and to you, of course, who stood by him and "nudged" him along the way. I feel like such a proud board auntie and am just thrilled!

As for the girlfriend, I too hope that difficult child's heart isn't broken, but it certainly sounds like he's become a very responsible young man. Again, kudos to him and to you!

Hugs to you both,
Deb

lovemysons

I'm really impressed with how far your difficult child has come, Karen.

Glad he has a backup plan if things don't work out with the gal he's with.

hugs,
Tammy

hearthope

I am so proud for you!!! And him!!!!

He got his one year chip, he is taking on more jobs AND he has a back up plan

Sounds very adult and responsible to me